+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Repster

Thread: DW the way to go?

Soulwalker

Default DW the way to go?

Hey guys!

I'm sorry if this got asked before, but I haven't seen one on this subject since before Prophecy I think, nor with the exact question I want to ask.

So the thing is, I like playing many different specs (which Rift is good for for obvious reasons) and I wanted to add Riftblade to my arsenal. Now, I pretty quickly figured out that I need to dual wield to do it effectively (and a quick glance at the guide on this forum confirmed it). So my question is: are there builds that favour a two-hander, or is Dual Wield good to go all the way?

Thanks for your time!

Pretty much.
    Only RB is really that strict on it but its better than 2 handed but on other specs also, aside from more auto attacks etc, I recall DarkDaemon, our warrior Jesus, saying something like that some attacks are based on the animation of your weapon and wont fire off before the previous animation has finished and that dual wielding is better on that than 2 handed, tho i dont remember the exact thing he had said.

Isn't RB's dependence on dual-wielding going away in a week? Can't find why I think that ...

Anyway, except for RB, it is nearly irrelevant - given weapons of the same level+tier, the only minor difference is animation delay. If your candidate weapons are not of the same level+tier, use the one with the higher weapon DPS (multiply your main hand's weapon DPS by 1.3 to compare to a two-hanger's wDPS).
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 03-24-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks guys! And I'll see about that next week then!

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Isn't RB's dependence on dual-wielding going away in a week? Can't find why I think that ...
    You mean this?

Dec 16, 2016
    Warrior
    Riftblade
    Legendary Icy Burst and Flamespear now have a .5s ICD
    Tempest
    Legendary Shock Pulse now has a .5s ICD
    Last edited by Bishoujo; 03-24-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post

Anyway, except for RB, it is nearly irrelevant - given weapons of the same level+tier, the only minor difference is animation delay. If your candidate weapons are not of the same level+tier, use the one with the higher weapon DPS (multiply your main hand's weapon DPS by 1.3 to compare to a two-hanger's wDPS).
    The way it was explained to me, due to the animation delay stuff and some other factors, there will still be a noticeable difference between DW and 2H, it just won't be night and day anymore like it is now.

Soulwalker

I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys are, but my intuition would tell me that it's a major nerf but it's still going to be Dual Wield first.

The auto-procs dps will be significantly reduced if I have the mechanics right, due to the fact that often/usually the attacks will overlap (though I guess it depends on the attack speed variable comparison between the two weapons - running identical weapon speeds would actually be a no-go).

However, it will not always do this - and one-hander attack speed is higher anyway than on 2H-weapons so even wielding only one one-handed weapon, would result in more procs.

I can be waaaaaay off here though. Like I said - newbie to Rift's theorycrafting.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyDeity View Post
    I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys are, but my intuition would tell me that it's a major nerf but it's still going to be Dual Wield first.

The auto-procs dps will be significantly reduced if I have the mechanics right, due to the fact that often/usually the attacks will overlap (though I guess it depends on the attack speed variable comparison between the two weapons - running identical weapon speeds would actually be a no-go).

However, it will not always do this - and one-hander attack speed is higher anyway than on 2H-weapons so even wielding only one one-handed weapon, would result in more procs.

I can be waaaaaay off here though. Like I said - newbie to Rift's theorycrafting.
    Nah, you're overthinking it. Right now, dual wield is so much better because legendary shock pulse and icy burst have no internal cooldown. So, every time you swing either weapon or use an ability, you get a proc from both legendaries. What makes it even crazier is that the mastery that procs ethereal damage from attacks (swings i believe) in turn procs more shock pulses / icy bursts. To quote somebody from another thread, it's procs proccing procs.

The reason this gets so strong is because between swings, abilities, and procs, you can have a few hundred damage sources per minute. This becomes a few hundred shock pulse / icy procs per minute. Ironically, RB is still very weak without these proc shenanigans taking place (like 60% of its dps right now is these two abils), so the upcoming change that hardcaps these two procs at once every half a second is going to kill RB damage. You're essentially going from several hundred procs per minute to max 120.
    Last edited by Boxsmith; 03-24-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyDeity View Post
    my question is: are there builds that favour a two-hander, or is Dual Wield good to go all the way?
    There are no builds that favor a Two-Hander over Dual Wield. It's either equivalent, better with Dual Wield, or a tank spec, which is sword and board.
    Last edited by Repster; 03-24-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

While it is true that currently Icy Burst and Shock Pulse are grossly over-powered, the up-coming 4.1 release will semi-address this issue. It doesn't fully address it, but does make it far closer to what was expected than what is currently being used.

In the linked google sheet, you'll see the data I used and the actual differences of Icy Burst and Shock Pulse when dual wielding vs. a 2 handed weapon.

Google Sheet: Dual Wield vs 2-Handed Weapons - Icy Burst & Shock Pulse

My tests were done doing the following rotation:
    Searing Strike
    Searing Strike
    Shock Pulse
    Icy Burst

Using the above rotation, prevented any unwanted buffs from being applied to either myself or the Level 67 Raid Boss dummy in my dimension.

I used no buffs at all, nor using any consumables, and no lvl 61 to 65 Masteries selected, Expert Weapon(s) w/Proc Rune removed.

I went with the following spec.
    Warlord: 0
    Tempest: 0 (Legendary Shock Pulse)
    Riftblade: 2 (needed to get Icy Blast, and then chose it as the Legendary) points in Elemental Flux, but buff was not activated.

With a 0% Critical Chance, 21,949 Attack Power with no buffs and no consumables, Dual Wielding over a 2-Handed Weapon: Icy Burst will do approximately 5,083 more DPS.

With a 0% Critical Chance, 21,949 Attack Power with no buffs and no consumables, Dual Wielding over a 2-Handed Weapon: Shock Pulse will do approximately 1,526 more DPS.

Remember the above numbers are calculated with a 0% Crit Chance, and relatively low Attack Power, so a Higher Crit Chance with higher Crit Power will bump those values up.
    Last edited by Dimples; 03-24-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Plane Touched

We are being forced to go 1 hander.. Our epic weapon is a one hander.

+ Reply to Thread