+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Reaver discussion

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Reaver discussion

This is not meant as a guide though if you did not test Reaver on PTS at all you should be able to take away some useful info from this. Its a copy paste from something I wrote on the guild forums and not very well written but lets get this started. The point of this thread is to get some discussion going on best rotations, specs, synergy crystals etc for the different ways to play reaver, like single target, multidot aoe etc.

Best spec as far as I know is 61 reaver, 7 para, 8 tempest
    For ST use Slayer Crystal, for AoE use Reapers
    Normal ST rotation is very simple. Theres a few must use abilities and the rest is just filler. This is the rotation that I like to use:

ExpInf>SoD>RS>DB
    RS>Inf>DB
    VS>DB
    RS>RS>RS>DB

Theres other rotations possible too, but what I like about this one is that it will let you use Inf and VS during raid cds atleast for the first 2 minutes or so. The other important thing to watch out for is that you spread out the infestations enough that you have 100% fester upkeep.
    Using that rotation, on PTS dummy the sustained dps is pretty close behind paragon. I parsed 81.6k with paragon and 81k with Reaver. There is 1 way you can get a little bit more DPS out of it. Using SoD every 15 seconds is a dps gain because it makes all the dots tick immediatly (and the first hits of the dots have extra dmg). However, its pretty hard to make using SoD every 15sec work in the rotation. Doing this I had a 82.6k parse on the PTS, which is even ahead of paragon. Something to keep track off during real fights is that you really want to try to use SoD during raid cds because those dots will keep ticking for a long time giving you extra damage.
    Despite Reaver doing so well on the dummy, it probably wont beat Paragon and Tempest on single target fights aslong as you can keep WL/Alacrity lined up with raid cooldowns.

So thats the single target part, dual dotting requires a bit harder rotation. Here is something that I made for Threngar p3 (the number behind the ability name just means which target you cast on):
    Exp1>SoD1>FR2>DB1
    NW2>SS2>DC2>DB1
    Inf2>RS2>DB2
    VS2>DB2
    The reason to do it like that is that you get 100% uptime on dots on both targets and the best coverage possible from Fester. This only works if it really doesnt matter what youre targetting. If you want 1 primary target and a little extra dps on 1 other target what you can do is this:
    Exp1>SoD1>FR2>DB1
    NW2>SS2>DC2>DB1
    Inf1>RS1>DB1
    VS1>DB1
    With that you have the majority of your dps on target 1 and just dots running for like 15k dps on target 2.
    For 2 targets next to eachother Im not really sure on the numbers (didnt look into this that much yet) but I think the best is the same as the rotation just above (its not needed to switch target for Fester, since Exp puts it on both targets), except replace every ST builder by the AoE builder and ST finisher by the AoE finisher. Neither reaper nor slayer crystal fits this rotation very well so maybe Warmaster is best for this?

Last one is for full aoe. For this you have to turn on plaguebringer. This is basicly a priority rotation going something like this:
    Explosive Infestation>Power Variation>DC>SoD>3 point AoE finisher>AoE builder
    The key is that you apply dire corruption to as many targets as possible. By using DC and SoD on cooldown all the time you can have like 5 or 6 of them running which is very powerful. If you have less targets than that you have to do something else obviously, but its important to keep in mind that youre gonna lose a lot of DPS when you have less than 5 targets because you will not be able to stack dire corruptions. In general Champion is ahead of Reaver in AoE dps. If you go below 5 targets than Champion goes more ahead. If you go above 8 targets, Reaver gets closer to champ because dire corruption can hit up to 10 enemies whereas most aoe abilities are only 8.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

looks solid, thanks for the Info

SOD Snapshots? I thought that didn't exist with Rift, where your whatever ability present at the moment scales with whatever CD that comes into play... its easy to see that with an outside buff such as Condemn where your dots start ticking harder for the duration and drop back down to normal range thereafter.

Here is an extremely rough guide that I wrote that could probably use quite a bit of improvement/feedback. Enjoy.

Build: 61RV/8Temp/7Para

Buffs include Plague Bringer, Pestilence, Binding of Affliction, Empower, Enhanced Conductivity and Way of the River. Slayer's crystal.

Pestilence becomes an active buff with 3.1 and you lose no ST damage having Plague Bringer toggled. It only reduces damage done to additional targets.

Macros:

DoT macro
    #show flesh rot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast flesh rot
    cast necrotic wounds
    cast soul sickness

ST builder
    #show ravaging strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ravaging Strike
    cast @self Power Manipulation

Infestation macro
    #show Infestation
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Infestation
    cast Explosive Infestation

@focus double-dot ease-of-use macro
    #show shadow of dread
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus shadow of dread

Morass macro
    #show stumbling morass
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @gtae stumbling morass

Rotation:

Red abilities indicate using that ability on your secondary target/not your main target.

Ravaging Strike (RS)
    Dire Blow (DB)
    Rancid Cleave (RC)
    Desecrating Blow (DeB)
    Shadow of Dread (SoD)
    Infestation (IF)
    Explosive Infestation (EX)
    Viral Stream (VS)
    Flesh Rot (FR)
    Necrotic Wounds (NW)
    Soul Sickness (SS)
    Dire Corruption (DC)

Use Power Manipulation on cd.

Single Target

Block 1:
    EX > SoD > RS > DB
    IF > RS > DB
    VS > DB
    RS > SoD > RS > DB

Block 2:
    EX > RS > RS > DB
    IF > RS > DB
    VS > DB
    RS > SoD > RS > DB

How to use:
    1. Block 1
    2. Block 2
    3. Repeat 2 until boss dies.

2+ adjacent targets:

Block 1:
    EX > SoD > DC > DeB
    IF > RC > DeB
    VS > DeB
    RC > SoD > RC > DeB

Block 2:
    EX > RC > RC > DeB
    IF > RC > DeB
    VS > DeB
    DC > SoD > RC > DeB

EX > RC > RC > DeB
    IF > RC > DeB
    VS > DeB
    RC > SoD > RC > DeB

Block 3:
    EX > RC > RC > DeB
    IF > DC > DeB
    VS > DeB
    RC > SoD > RC > DeB

EX > RC > RC > DeB
    IF > RC > DeB
    VS > DeB
    RC > SoD > RC > DeB

Block 4:
    EX > DC > RC > DeB
    IF > RC > DeB
    VS > DeB
    RC > SoD > RC > DeB

How to use:
    1. Block 1
    2. Block 2 > Block 3 > Block 4
    3. Repeat 2 until boss(es) dies.

This is the rotation you'll want to use on a fight like Izkinra (phase 1). You want to do good ST damage to your main target, but still get as much cleave damage out as possible. When you need more ST damage on your main target you'll just replace all RC with RS and all DeB with DB. What is essentially happening here is, since Plague Bringer doesn't spread DC, you are applying DC to your secondary target (doesn't matter which one) in place of using a Rancid Cleave. If you have 3 targets piled up you can even replace another RC with a DC on the 3rd target since DC itself only has a 10s cd. Once you get into 4-5 targets and applying DC to them all you start running into DC cd timing issues. 4 may be doable under certain circumstances, but 5 just won't happen if you are trying to maintain ST dps rotation on a primary target. Do not apply DC to secondary targets that are going to die within 10s (think Ungolok adds).

Double-dotting

Block 1:
    RS > SoD > RS > DB
    IF > RS > DB
    VS > DB
    RS > SoD > EX > DB

Block 2:
    FR > NW > SS > DB
    IF > RS > DB
    VS > DB
    DC > SoD > EX > DB

FR > NW > SS > DB
    IF > RS > DB
    VS > DB
    RS > SoD > EX > DB

Block 3:
    FR > NW > SS > DB
    IF > DC > DB
    VS > DB
    RS > SoD > EX > DB

How to use:
    1. Block 1
    2. Block 2 > Block 3
    3. Repeat 2 until boss dies.

This is what you'll want to use on a boss where you need to dps 2 targets who are not near each other (think Threngar during p3). Because of how you are applying your dots, you can use your ST dps rotation on any of the targets you are dotting up and switch to something else. You simply need to keep track of where you are at in your rotation in order to reapply dots to the right target. With enough practice and repetition it should be seamless.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 01-28-2015 at 09:20 AM.

As an aside to my above post, I only refresh SoD on the 15s mark once in the beginning of each rotation for max burst before just using it every 21s as normal. You'd normally want to be replacing RS hits with SoD, but it just doesn't line up with all the other priority builders/finisher you have. Feel free to prove me wrong, though, as this was a very-little-effort guide to get people started.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 01-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

I'm not sure but I thought thats how it works. For example: if you use lightning torrent in the last second of lava field, I believe every tick has the bonus damage. In the same way when you use a dot, it calculates the damage based on your current stats and buffs and then puts in on the target. Then every tick gets resistances and damage debuffs on the target calculated dynamically. Maybe I havent paid enough attention to it, Ill have to try it when servers are back up
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Never mind. You are right on that part, I was thinking more along the lines of applying something during, say, Condemn and the damage gets carried over into after the debuff expires. You are correct in that active player buffs snapshot dots/channels on their application/use and retain that damage until refreshed/ending.

Shadowlander

I did some testing a couple weeks ago with Scourge and Mental Resistance, it appeared the stats/buffs you have at the time of cast effect the damage of the DoT for the full duration.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    Here is an extremely rough guide that I wrote that could probably use quite a bit of improvement/feedback. Enjoy.
    Most of this looks good to me. Using SoD on focus target for double dotting is something that slipped my mind ._. Much easier that way. Not optimally using Fester applications is a small dps loss though, my quick math puts it in the 300-500 dps loss area. Not a huge deal but something to keep in mind for when more comfortable with double dotting I guess.

The other thing that I think is questionable is relying on plague bringer for dots when you have two adjacent targets. In a single target dummy parse the amount of dps I was getting from FR+NW+SS was like 7+6+5k = 18k. So in 63 seconds were missing out on 18k*0.6*63=680k damage. In trade off you get 9 spare GCDs, which you fill up with 9x RC. Now I dont remember the exact number for RC but I think it was a relatively small upgrade over RS on 2 targets. My average RS hit was 44k. So lets say RC is 50k and then we gain 450k damage from having 9 extra uses of that per minute. Thats 230k damage or roughly 4k dps more when you are actually applying the dots rather than spreading with plaguebringer. Would be good to check all those numbers again but wont be happening right now with the servers down
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Do you mean applying Fester to both targets? If so you can just make all the IF's in that rotation after Block 1 red as well to keep up Fester on both targets. The loss is pretty minimal, as you said, so I wouldn't sweat it too much until you are more comfortable with how it plays.

On your other point, for 2 adjacent targets you also have to remember you need to spend gcds to apply DC to your secondary target since PB doesn't spread it. I tried just about everything for 2 adjacent targets for max dps; PB: off spreading dots manually, PB: on still spreading dots manually and PB: on using a few RC gcds in the rotation to apply DC to the secondary target and that seemed to work best. I'll also go over it again when servers are up.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 01-28-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Soulwalker

Would Reaver also be best for warriors on the second fight in RoF, Hidrac and ontaz or something like that because you can dot both of the bosses from ranged?

If you keep them separate, maybe. If you stack them Champ wins.

Rift Chaser

nvm, /10 chars
    Last edited by Warfyre; 01-28-2015 at 02:05 PM.

After quite extensive testing I found leaving PB on and simply refreshing DC on your secondary target (like I have in my above rotation) won out over manually refreshing the dots with PB off. You just seem to waste too many gcds reapplying dots and not doing the damages.

Plane Touched

Is it even possible to simply Macro the Single Target into 3 keys and AE into 2? I've done that with Tempest and that is all I have to do. 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 and back to 1 is my single target. 4 4 4 5 is my aoe. Does very well.

I spent a bit of time with the Reaver and the cooldowns and spells make things rather complicated. Any of your advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Hotflashes; 01-28-2015 at 02:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast