+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having a hard time tanking... What to do?

Soulwalker

Default Having a hard time tanking... What to do?

I'm level 58, haven't been able to successfully tank an instance since Protocol. I have 2 different tank specs, one is VK/WL and one is Pala/WL, I use the VK for larger aoe fights, and I use the Pala for most other things, and for questing/solo content.

I have about 22k hp and 45k Armor self buffed, and I have about 52k Armor in my Void set u, with approx same hp. It's not a lack of "being able" to tank, I have tanked all my MMO life and it's second nature to me, it's just that I take insane amounts of damage. There hasn't been a SINGLE tank item from Questing, if there were I would have taken that sum'*****. It's all "Physical Crit" "Attack Power" and things of that nature, there is never any "Block" "Dodge" "Parry" or anything tank-wise, and it's beginning to drive me insane. I have only ever had 2 items drop for tanking from dungeons, a Bow from Exodus and a Sword from Protocol, I believe it was. And I was stoked, woot!

Due to not having any gear, not finding any, and not being able to afford the items on the auction house which is just absurdly expensive, I decided to level my Armor smithing, see if that would help. Ya know, craft myself some good ol' fashioned meatshield items. I was at 320 today, and grinded it out to 370. All for naught. There is NO tank items, save for perhaps a couple shields. It baffles me. The items that are built for a tank require you to purchase the recipe for 500 Gems off the Rift Shop (ludicrous) or to grind rep, and get Revered with 2-3 factions, in order to be able to make a level 55-57 Tanking item, or spend insane amounts of GrandMaster Crafstman tokens along with other Tokens, that would take probably 4-5 days just to accumulate, at which point I would be level 60 already! That design is obscene too me. I am needed to grind rep, in order to get an item in order to be able to tank dungeons efficiently without getting my A hole stretched nolube? I would love to, but by the time I were to hit Revered I would be level 60 already. See what I'm getting at?

What must I do? So far Armor smithing seems to be completely useless. I have never used an Item I made from AS, and so far it's just been sucking the plat out of me like it's going out of style. Should I even bother to level it up the next 5 levels? It's so expensive (5-15 plat PER item) and these items are just vendor trash basically. I've made augments and used them, but the 5 parry and 3 extra Endurance is no saving grace by any means, it's as if I didn't even have parry at all.

tl;dr - I am getting sht housed and it's infuriating. No gear, done over 200 quests of Storm Legion content. No tank gear. Ever.
    Last edited by Sephrinx; 02-14-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Just use normal dps gear until you hit 60, worked out fine while leveling all my toons (minus the mage ofc) mostly tanking dungeons. Often the healers are just very bad.

(Looking at you Natural Healing spammers)

Personally, I didn't start tanking until several months into the game. By then, I had 45k HP when I started tanking Experts. I hit 60 first on a Cleric so I learned and geared first by healing.

If you really want to tank normals, I suggest looking for an Armoursmither and Runecrafter in the shard you are on, or on the forums who is also on the shard you are on. Some are willing to craft them for free. With that said, what shard are you on? I can also make some for you.

Yes, it's true that quests give no tanking armour. Reason is that you don't really need specially tank armour until you start doing Expert difficulty and beyond. Still, you need to be tricked out in heavy Endurance gears, including accessories and lesser planar essences.

Personally, I suggest simply forget tanking normal dungeons until 60. At 60, start by doing chronicles daily for tanking gears. Grind for Torvan Hunters and Lycini notoriety and trick out with Honored-level essences and cape and you should be prepared to tank the level 60 normal dungeons (Empyrean Core, Archive of Flesh, and Tower of the Shattered, I think).

You should be ready to tank Expert difficulty dungeons at 40k HP, but pull slowly and use your defensive cooldowns.
    Last edited by superhbman; 02-14-2014 at 02:15 AM.
    Shinryujin | Tsuyuko | Chieri | Kimiyomi

Soulwalker

Just use normal dps gear until you hit 60, worked out fine while leveling all my toons (minus the mage ofc) mostly tanking dungeons. Often the healers are just very bad.

(Looking at you Natural Healing spammers)
    Haha, this also may be the case. Could just be bad healers. I dunno tho, I can't tell. I just seem to take large amounts of damage in a very small window of time. Like, I got crit for 11k back to back today, and that was the end of me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by superhbman View Post
    Personally, I didn't start tanking until several months into the game. By then, I had 45k HP when I started tanking Experts. I hit 60 first on a Cleric so I learned and geared first by healing.

If you really want to tank normals, I suggest looking for an Armoursmither and Runecrafter in the shard you are on, or on the forums who is also on the shard you are on. Some are willing to craft them for free. With that said, what shard are you on? I can also make some for you.
    I am an armor smith, but I can't make anything along the lines of "usefull" so that is a major bummer. I am on Deepwood, just spent about 85% of my funds leveling and doing the Crafting daily/weeklies to be able to buy recipes to make something that I hoped to be somewhat decent.

Yes, it's true that quests give no tanking armour. Reason is that you don't really need specially tank armour until you start doing Expert difficulty and beyond. Still, you need to be tricked out in heavy Endurance gears, including accessories and lesser planar essences.
    I've tried tanking with the current gear I have, it doesn't bode well. I take smashingly huge hits, but at least I have big tasty crits. I have my Planar Essence filled with Tank essences, a solid shield, and tanking rings/amulet, but that is all I have been able to find, unless I want to spend 19238 plat on a piece of tanking gear on the AH...

Personally, I suggest simply forget tanking normal dungeons until 60. At 60, start by doing chronicles daily for tanking gears. Grind for Torvan Hunters and Lycini notoriety and trick out with Honored-level essences and cape and you should be prepared to tank the level 60 normal dungeons (Empyrean Core, Archive of Flesh, and Tower of the Shattered, I think).

You should be ready to tank Expert difficulty dungeons at 40k HP, but pull slowly and use your defensive cooldowns.
    Yeah, I think this sounds like the best bet. Thanks a bunch man
    Last edited by Sephrinx; 02-14-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Plane Touched

What is the point spread in your two tanking setups? How many points in which trees? I'm willing to bet you're using a "it worked fine so far" kind of tanking build, and that's where a lot of your issues are coming from. 22k hp at 58 in a tank spec seems a bit on the low side to me, is why. In case you didn't notice, every point spent in a tanking soul raises your armor/resist/endurance, in addition to whatever you spent the point on, while warlord only gives 1/2 that value. If you've got points in warlord, that means you DIDN'T spend those points in a tanking tree, and your hp/armor/resist is suffering for it.

I'm pretty sure there are some good tanking guides in the warrior guide section that you might give a try, and see if that helps a bit.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kedolan View Post
    What is the point spread in your two tanking setups? How many points in which trees? I'm willing to bet you're using a "it worked fine so far" kind of tanking build, and that's where a lot of your issues are coming from. 22k hp at 58 in a tank spec seems a bit on the low side to me, is why. In case you didn't notice, every point spent in a tanking soul raises your armor/resist/endurance, in addition to whatever you spent the point on, while warlord only gives 1/2 that value. If you've got points in warlord, that means you DIDN'T spend those points in a tanking tree, and your hp/armor/resist is suffering for it.

I'm pretty sure there are some good tanking guides in the warrior guide section that you might give a try, and see if that helps a bit.
    This is the same as I was thinking. Your HP seems low and it is likely due to your spec. Search for the Warrior Tanking guides by RoughRaptors. They're designed for level 60 but they will give you a good idea of what points spread to aim for, for an effective Tank spec. In essence, go as deep as you can into either VK or Pally and then your remaining points go into another Tank soul. Warlord does not count as a Tank soul and the more points you spend in it, the more you will suffer.

Don't worry about Tanking gear until you hit 60. Before then, go for the highest endurance gear you can get and put the best endurance runes on it that you can find/afford.

I'd offer to help you out if you were on EU, but I won't get a chance to log in again until Monday.

Soulwalker

Keep in mind that some Experts are easier to tank than other.

For example and in my opinion, Stormbreaker Protocol is rather an easy one to tank compared to Realm of Twisted Dreams

So if you're after boss' loots, form a patient group with a reactive healer then queue for specific experts

Prophet of Telara

Ironically warrior tanking gear is mostly delivered in the form of loot from running dungeons. You know, those same dungeons you're trying to tank There's only a small number of Armoursmith recipes for tank-stat gear using Marks so it's worth asking a guildie who can make some, or checking out the AH for the recipes - the credits only ones are actually random drops in dungeons so people often put them up for sale. Don't forget Endurance runes! You won't need much in the way of specifically tank-oriented gear while tanking normals but getting together as much HP as you can helps greatly - the 11k crits you described are the reason why.

I'd personally swap the WL points into Reaver for the VK spec (don't play Pally, no idea about it) - synergy with tree bonuses helps as it's also tank-focused for the moment. In fact I think a simplified version of one of RoughRaptor's tank builds is now in the presets section. Look for the 61VK/15Rv one (unless it's level 60 only). I used a variant of that tanking my way through SL dungeons.
    Last edited by Islesi; 02-14-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

Plane Touched

When you're looking for tanking gear pre-60 (ie, toughness doesn't matter yet) you should be looking for only 2 stats on the armor: highest END, and highest armor, that you can get your hands on. While the rest of the stats help, END/armor >>>>>>>>>>>> everything else, in the tanking priority list. If that means using a newer piece of dps gear vrs an older, lower lvl tanking piece, don't worry about the lost block/parry/dodge/etc, you want that END/armor much more!

Soulwalker

Ok, so I did more crafting, got up to 375. Had some help from a guildie with Runes, got a couple items from the AH and made myself some good gloves. Respecced as well, 15 Void Knight / 59 Paladin. Will end up being 61/15, and I plan on checking out some guides @ 60 as well.

Am sitting on 26,895 Hp, 48K Armor. Forgot to check my dodge/parry/block stats, but I remember block was at 19%, am unsure of parry and dodge. I haven't tried an instance yet, because it's 5:37 AM and I need sleep!

Thanks for replies, I'll come check back in the morning and see whats up, appreciate the input all.

If you could post a magelo link of your point spread, I can assure you that is possibly 80% of the problem.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    If you could post a magelo link of your point spread, I can assure you that is possibly 80% of the problem.
    ^ this

Most likely as the OP mentioned Pally/WL and VK/WL that's yer problem.. WL is not a tanking soul.. Sure if you outgear content pally/wl works fine.. but at level 58..nonono

follow this guide mate,

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...tch-2-3-a.html

it's perfect til 60 =)

I'd recommend doing 58VK/15Reaver/0paladin for blood fever. 5% hit debuff on bosses is very nice. I have pretty much used paladin once since turning 60 and running experts/raids, I only use VK. Paladin is fine as well if you like it's play style or need more physical mitigation, but again I'd suggest 58Paladin/15Reaver/0VK (eventually those 58's will be your 61 points).

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sephrinx View Post
    Ok, so I did more crafting, got up to 375. Had some help from a guildie with Runes, got a couple items from the AH and made myself some good gloves. Respecced as well, 15 Void Knight / 59 Paladin. Will end up being 61/15, and I plan on checking out some guides @ 60 as well.

Am sitting on 26,895 Hp, 48K Armor. Forgot to check my dodge/parry/block stats, but I remember block was at 19%, am unsure of parry and dodge. I haven't tried an instance yet, because it's 5:37 AM and I need sleep!

Thanks for replies, I'll come check back in the morning and see whats up, appreciate the input all.
    Happy to be of service. 27k should easily be enough to tank normal dungeons at level 58 and the extra armour and resists you will now have will help with the damage.

Pally and VK both work fine as your 61 point soul. Pally is simpler due to having less utility and also has an emergency full heal, which is nice. I'd recommend switching to VK once you're at 60 doing experts though for the utility, extra dps and easier aggro it provides. I tend to use both, but probably 90% the VK. For learning the dungeons etc. and if the other players are undergeared, then the Pally heal can be a god-send.

(for clarification, I don't raid past T1 10 mans)

Ascendant

Stuff in leveling dungeons hits VERY hard. You will need a dedicated tank healer, and a support such as a bard for healing the raid. Its best if you're 1-2 above the dungeon, 1-2 below the mobs is going to be very rough.

Some basics about gearing.

Armor is determined by the level of the item. All gear of the same level has the same armor value. Tank specific gear does not start dropping until the level 59-60 dungeons.

Always wear the gear with the highest armor value. Prior to level 60, it will likely have higher Endurance anyway (since its higher level gear). After you hit 60, wear the tank gear with the highest Armor, then look at End.

Also, Paladin is best for those dungeons since you have the most cooldowns. Expect to use them. Learn to time your CD's. You'll probably want to use a mitigation CD early on in trash pulls. Once everything is beating on you, pop that CD.

Lastly, interrupts. The single easiest thing to reduce damage is to interrupt casters. Often it seems like tanks forget they have an interrupt. Oh, and never count on the DPS to interrupt, you can basically assume they won't.
    Last edited by Carinae; 02-14-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

+ Reply to Thread