Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Bloodbourne
  • 2 Post By Rythandil
  • 2 Post By RoughRaptorsOld
  • 2 Post By Primalthirst

Thread: Warlord Tanking

Soulwalker

Default Warlord Tanking

So as a new player to the game I was looking through my soul tree choices in pretty good detail and I decided I really like the Warlord Soul. I also want to tank. I noticed a talent in the Warlord Soul that allows you to block without a shield. Is it then possible to tank without a shield and instead Dual Wield? Or is this frowned upon in end game settings?

Thanks,
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Malimo View Post
    So as a new player to the game I was looking through my soul tree choices in pretty good detail and I decided I really like the Warlord Soul. I also want to tank. I noticed a talent in the Warlord Soul that allows you to block without a shield. Is it then possible to tank without a shield and instead Dual Wield? Or is this frowned upon in end game settings?

Thanks,
    Mal
    You have to seriously out-gear the content to even consider this. You lose a TON of armor... like 30k or so. I wouldn't reccomend it even for experts until you're geared. Rule of thumb... get the relic 2h tank weapon, then you're probably ready/geared to try it.
    Last edited by Bloodbourne; 03-29-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Malimo View Post

Thanks,
    Mal
    Hey! Welcome to Rift! I hope your stay is an enjoyable one.

Warlord *used* to be a tanking option, but with the Storm Legion changes it's pretty much a DPS soul right now. Now, thankfully you don't have to settle for just one build, since you can buy up to six role slots to rock out a lot of combinations and see what playstyle really does fit you. A rule of thumb for any new player is that you can change things up at any time. Don't feel like because you've thrown your points into one soul and later on you decide you don't like it, that you're stuck. You're not.

Warlord does a lot of DPS while also adding a decent chunk of survivability, but for the purposes of dungeons and end game content, you really want to look at the three big tanking souls; Void Knight, Paladin, and Reaver. There are several tanking guides up here on the forums and also on www.riftscene.com (You guys at riftscene are amazing!) but those really only help once you hit level 60.

Just throw most your points into one of the tanking souls and that'll mostly get you by pre-60.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I was tanking the other day with a 2H sword and the "block without a shield" thing. Granted, it was in lower level dungeons, but I still wanted to try it out. Yes, overall it would be harder, but we have the option to, and if you have a lot of other really good gear and stats it's certainly not impossible. My advice: Build whatever kind of build you want! Forget what other players want you to do. Experiment and find what you like, and make it work.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    You have to seriously out-gear the content to even consider this. You lose a TON of armor... like 30k or so. I wouldn't reccomend it even for experts until you're geared. Rule of thumb... get the relic 2h tank weapon, then you're probably ready/geared to try it.
    that ^

If you try it before being overgeared, youll just get destroyed

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drel View Post
    My advice: Build whatever kind of build you want! Forget what other players want you to do. Experiment and find what you like, and make it work.
    My advice: You can do what you want if you really feel the need to do so, but don't come crying on the forums when you find out you die instantly or everyone hates you for being squishy. So do what you want to an extent, but when it boils down to it, do what you NEED to do instead of what you WANT to do, things change and you must run a proper spec.

You can't simply "find" what you like and make it work, there are limited options, all of which are posted.
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 04-02-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drel View Post
    My advice: Build whatever kind of build you want! Forget what other players want you to do. Experiment and find what you like, and make it work.
    This type of advice is only valid if you only ever do outdated content for fun, such as old dungeons or raids. In any other case, this advice, while noble, is downright dangerous. If you plan to raid or do current content, trust better players than yourself (such as RoughRaptors), and look at a guide to maximize what you do. Don't try to experiment and play what you want in group content, because you'll more than likely end up a liability to your group. This isn't the game for it in anything that actually matters (in fact most MMOs don't lend themselves well at endgame to picking any old thing you want).
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Leave the "thinking outside the box" part to the people who have raids on farm and are overgeared for content - RoughRaptors

Ignore these bads.
    If you have a cool enough build and look badass enough the mathematics behind damage calculations don't matter. They're just numbers and are irrelevant as long as you die with style.
    Nope.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Ignore these bads.
    If you have a cool enough build and look badass enough the mathematics behind damage calculations don't matter. They're just numbers and are irrelevant as long as you die with style.
    such a good advice.

Yes please, do whatever build you please so you can waste 4 others people time and money in a dungeon because you explode when hit over and over until you get kicked for being terrible at your role and deserve the #1 spot on ignore lists.

These kind of tests with "play whatever you like" are for dummies (dps parsing) and old content where you wont make people wait after you.

I am perhaps a bad person but i did a boneforge the other day while leveling a mage and the tank comes in , say its the first time he tank, he wield a polearm and before we can ask him, he jump in the ghosts and get one shotted. When kindly ask if he have a shield, he say no. When kindly ask if he have a tanking spec, he say no. When kindly ask for the last time if he want to take 5 min to go buy a shield and make a decent spec he said no.

The first thing we did when the timer let us was kick him and ignore him.

Sarcasm is hard.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    Sarcasm is hard.
    heh if that was sarcasm, which might while re-reading it then i have been april fooled.

Its hard to detect it when its not your mother tongue.

As I was leveling my Warrior to 60, I have tanked a few dungeons in a (would be) 61 Warlord 15 Paladin spec. I ran recovery posture and defensive posture. It was not easy, but with the massive AoE I kept myself healed and help decent aggro. You lose a lot of health and armor and resist, but it worked. I have yet to tank an expert (I've switched to 58 Pally 18 VK). During the grind its a good way to mix a tank spec with a DPS spec, but don't try it in an expert.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Ignore these bads.
    AND have fun while doing so !

I like the idea of warlord tanking, but it's not very practical. The loss of 1/2 your armor mitigation, spell resistances and max health you get from investing in the warlord tree as opposed to the other tank trees will make you too fragile to tank.

Dual wield tanking is a possibility with 11 points into warlord, but before you do ask yourself this. Is 30% more tank dps worth losing the massive armor increase and tanking stats provided by a shield? No, probably not.

However, I do like to have 4 points into warlord for tanking dungeons because that off-global cooldown pulltaunt with an 8 second retimer makes gathering and establishing threat from spread out mobs easysauce. And 12 points into warlord for off-tanking in a raid so you can use Eye of the Storm on the main tank's mob and then hit all the aoe taunts and threat moves you please. It's not a tanking soul, but it can be a great accessory to a tanking build.
    Last edited by Cyann; 04-04-2013 at 05:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread