+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rift 2.2 an evaluation of the dps warrior and looking ahead

Shadowlander

Default Rift 2.2 an evaluation of the dps warrior and looking ahead

Dps warriors have seen many a change to the design of their souls over the last few months. In an effort to balance the dps between various souls and to stimulate a diversity of play styles the devs set out the rework large parts of our (dps) soul trees. Much has changed since and in particular the departure of Atrius as the responsible warrior class dev and his (temporary?) replacement by Ailion has led to a series of quite effective changes.

I figured that the release of 2.2 might be a good time to pause and thoroughly evaluate the state of the dps warrior in Rift and to look ahead and theorize about ways to further improve on the role. These posts are not meant to be a largely technical/in-depth assessment of specific warrior abilities and their current application in a raid environment. Instead, it is aimed here to provide a broad evaluation of the different warrior dps souls. I will discuss each soul in a separate post, starting today with the warlord.

*It should of course be clear that the views expressed in this post are highly personal and limited to my own experiences with the class.

The warlord

The warlord soul seems to be at a crossroads. In a recent comment by our dev it was pointed out that despite making the warlord soul more dps oriented, it was not meant to be a raiding soul. However, the 61/11/4 build has proven otherwise. While not top dps, the soul provides a solid combo of high HP, a very easy dps rotation and ****loads of utility. Also, there seems to be no end to the goodness considering the recent 2.2 class change that caused battle surge and tactical surge to be OGC, making the already simple rotation even more effective.

I hope the devs have picked on the positive response of the warrior community on being able to use warlord for raid dps and would advocate that the soul is further tuned in this direction. To be sure, I do propose to keep warlord about 15 to 20% under our top dps specs, so as to offset the many benefits gained from greater survivability and utility. In addition, I would suggest two structural changes to the class:

1. To tune the warlord utility more to a raid environment.

2. To diversify/complicate the dps rotation somewhat so that skill can impact the dps
    you do.

In addition I believe the off-tanking capacity currently featured in this soul should be preserved largely as is.

Utility

Several warlord abilities add significant utility to the class and will be considered below.

• Battlefield Medic – heal with 8 second cooldown

Should be kept the same or possible changed to a absorb shield similar to that of tempest (similar cooldown, slightly more absorption)

• Brothers in arms – 15% of damage on a single target is redirected to the warlord

Brother in arms is a very attractive ability and has to potential to draw more warriors to using this soul in raids. I would advise changing it so that for instance 15% of damage is intercepted, but only 10% is redirected to the warlord for instance. Another option would be to include a stacking buff (3 to 5 stacks) on a timer with a low proc-chance of about 10-15% (every time you intercept damage) that increase the dps of the warlord by a slight amount (suggestion for name of the stacking buff: Feed the pain!)

• Combat veteran – you can block without a shield

Keep as is

• Defensive maneuver – jump back

For a melee player this is actually a very useful ability that combines well with the charge abilities that warlord provides. More importantly, players consider abilities like this quite fun, as its fast paced and makes you very mobile. I would suggest further stimulating the use of this ability in raids by providing a small raid buff and tying it to the idea behind warlord (a leader/helper in the field). Once again, providing a small buff can go a long way. For example: up to 5 players in the general vicinity of the warlord after he lands from defensive maneuver could get a small absorption shield/small heal or 6 second dps boost. Again, it’s the idea of providing a little extra boost that counts here, not to implement ground-breaking changes to the soul.

• Forced march – speed boost

Keep as is

• General’s order / sergeant’s order – pull abilities

Keep as is

• No permission to die – if receives a killing blow within 10 seconds, heals warrior to
    50%

This is arguably one of the coolest abilities the warlord has. Let’s face it, melee players generally die more than ranged in raids and this ability alleviates our suffering somewhat. It’s a classic o **** button that can save your *** but will be less useful in fight you’ve already mastered. I’d actually suggest to make it even more interesting. Make dying pay off! For example, if no permission to die is effectively used the warlord goes berserk for +/- 10 seconds, boosting dps 10 - 15%. I understand it would be a somewhat controversial change, but it could be fun. The one minute cool down should probably be increased somewhat to balance such a change.

More utility?

I would not advocate going overboard in terms of utility and raid boosting, after all, the devs consciously swapped certain warlord abilities towards our new support soul: beast master. Having said that, I do think the soul could benefit from an ability that provides a raid wide boost or boon, provided its ST dps is kept well below that of our top specs. Two suggestions:

• Provide the warlord with a shout ability once more, something with a 30 second or 1
    minute cool down that provides a dps boost for a few seconds

• Expand in the sacrificial aspect of the warlord a bit, as exemplified by brothers in
    arms. I could envisage him sacrificing 20% of his health for a short period of time to
    boost the dps of a single raid member a bit.

The warlord dps rotation

Don’t get me wrong, the simplicity of the warlord’s dps rotation is part of its beauty. After all, it ties in nicely with the idea of doing subpar dps and focusing a bit more on overall utility as well as catering to more casual players. Having said that, I think there is room to slightly expand on the current dps rotation offered by the popular 61/11/4 spec and other similar specs. Some changes I would suggest:

• Provide warlord with its own aoe builder and/or proc aoe finisher

• Add an instant builder that work similar to frost strike and which boost finisher
    damage by a set % (in addition to empowering strike)

• Using killing field should provide the warrior with a self-buff of 5 to 10 seconds that
    improved the effectiveness of battle surge and tactical surge if cast within the time
    limit set by the self buff. This will force players to time the ability.

• I’m open to more ideas!

This concludes my modest consideration of the warlord soul. I actually think the soul is largely in a good place as it stands and hope the devs will stimulate its viability in raids despite their previous statements! And…..what do you guys think? Share your opinions!
    Last edited by Big Meat; 03-01-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Warlord is about 5% behind 61 RB and Paragon and suffers greatly from disconnects. It also lacks AoE. In our current state I only use Warlord in situational purposes. Raiders who min/max won't be using Warlord. Raiders who find that disconnects will lower their dps won't be using Warlord.
    Steelwind Guardian Warrior
    DIVINE FURY Guild Laethys Server 4/4 TotDQ 4/4 FT 4/5 EE
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Riftblade Guide
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Tempest Guide

Shadowlander

Granted, many raiders will not be using a spec that cannot deliver top dps, but some might be more likely to accept it if it offers other benefits. Optimally, i'd like the use of one warlord per raid to be an slight raid dps boost. Similarly, I really like the critical hit chance boost provided to the raid by tempest for example

Quote Originally Posted by Big Meat View Post
    Granted, many raiders will not be using a spec that cannot deliver top dps, but some might be more likely to accept it if it offers other benefits. Optimally, i'd like the use of one warlord per raid to be an slight raid dps boost. Similarly, I really like the critical hit chance boost provided to the raid by tempest for example
    Realistically the only unique benefit Warlord provides is Brother in Arms. You can put that on a healer to help their survival. I know what you are saying regarding the extra health, resists and armor that WL brings. But I have no problem staying alive in Riftblade, Paragon or Tempest in a raid. If I die it's due to boss mechanics and that's on me.
    Steelwind Guardian Warrior
    DIVINE FURY Guild Laethys Server 4/4 TotDQ 4/4 FT 4/5 EE
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Riftblade Guide
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Tempest Guide

Shadowlander

hence my suggestions to add a few extra benefits for using the soul

Soulwalker

What I read from this post is that you want to make a soul that is already very strong (5% under RB) and even better for lurning mechanics (block, more HP/resist/armor) and make it even stronger? or better yet "needed in raids"? I like the utility warlord brings, but if you ask me it's already a little too strong in some sittuations. Don't get me wrong, I like playing it in PvE and PvP. But I sadly have to disagree to the things you suggest, Just my oppinnion.

I do like that you are trying to improve us warriors, we are in a pretty solid place, but always room for Improvement ^^

*hugs*
    Effy
    Last edited by Aineen; 03-01-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Shadowlander

You might have to nerf the dps output of warlord a bit before implementing some of my suggestions. But you guys seem very fixated on the current dps of the soul, as opposed to whether it is interesting/rewarding to play. Then again, its allowed not to like my suggestions, merely putting it out there

Why is it that every "class review" only ever intends to add to the class? It's always "we need ability x".
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

Plane Touched

Terrible suggestions. Having NPTD give a dps buff, would force warlords to stand in stupid every time its up to max WL dps, which is a very, very bad idea. If you want to buff your raid, Beastmaster is available. The only changes WL could use, is its own aoe builder/finisher, and/or changing NPTD to function more like the cleric ability, Chimera's Gift (http://www.rifthead.com/ability/-81170527/chimeras-gift) it can be hard to predict when you will die within 10 seconds, but even that is pushing it due to how much extra survivability WL gets already.

The thing that attracts warriors to WL right now, is the simple rotation. Its the warrior's Elementalist spec. The rotation does not need complexity. Roll paragon or rb if you want a harder rotation.
    Last edited by Raviel; 03-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ymirson View Post
    Why is it that every "class review" only ever intends to add to the class? It's always "we need ability x".
    Because that's the way it should be. You want to make your class as OP as possible with the easiest rotation/abilities as possible. Is that a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Meat View Post
    You might have to nerf the dps output of warlord a bit before implementing some of my suggestions. But you guys seem very fixated on the current dps of the soul, as opposed to whether it is interesting/rewarding to play. Then again, its allowed not to like my suggestions, merely putting it out there
    it is a great soul to play. It's interesting with it's utility. It has a excellent survivability. The abilities and rotation are easy to master and macro for the beginner and for the seasoned vet. What's not to love? Yeah, it's about 5% behind top dps, but for a beginning raiding warrior at end content, this is a great way to cut your teeth on a class.

Rift Master

While I don't use it in raids (I prefer RB for melee and Tempest for ranged) I would love love love LOVE an spammable AOE builder in Warlord as I love the class for solo use and that's really IMO all that's missing from making a 61 Warlord build great for soloing and open world group content as a sturdy DPS.
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Leave the "thinking outside the box" part to the people who have raids on farm and are overgeared for content - RoughRaptors

Title should be "evaluation of the dps warlord".
    what is this I don't even

Shadowlander

yea kind of a misnomer, can i still change it?

I actually find that the Warlord is in a good place, as it is now.
    It gives new raiders a more robust soulchoice with a dps tradeoff, meaning you most likely will not find it / be allowed to use it in raidguilds once encounters are learned, after which you'll be required to use RB or Para.
    It might actually be quite effective with the new hardmodes as i understand they favor/require 23k + hp's (depending on your healers goodness ofc )

The rotation..well yeah, easy..and so what, if you want a melee spec with more buttons/dps...wouldn't you be in Para already then ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast