+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fujitasix
  • 2 Post By pkudude

Thread: Leveling as a Warrior (noob inside)

Soulwalker

Default Leveling as a Warrior (noob inside)

Hey,
    i just started Rift 3 Days ago and have fun so far.
    I level with 2 of my RL friends a Mage (Chloro) but when none of them is online i need something to do. So i decided i could make a Warrior and level him whenever they are not online.

My 2 first questions:
    Do i level best as a Tank oder a DD?
    What (DD or Tank) is a good levelspec?

I have only seen 50+ leveling guides in this forum so advice would be nice.

Thanks

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...r-paladin.html

That's a tank guide that will allow you to kill multiple mobs at a time and live to tell about it, but kills will be a bit slow.

Warlord and BM are also both great for leveling - just 4 points in WL gets you some self healing, and 11 points allows you to block while using a 2H weapon. BM gives you a pet to send in and soak damage for you while you kill other mobs. The rest of your points can find their way into DPS souls if you want to kill faster, with Champ being particularly good for cutting down multiple enemies, and not so good at killing single targets. Tempest and Riftblade offer some good ranged DPS, and at only 21 points you can snag False Repose in Tempest as the best "oops" ability a warrior can get.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c___

You can use this talent calculator to flop your points around. There's really no way to do it wrong, but some souls work better with others - it's just a matter of how you want to get the job done.
    Last edited by Fujitasix; 02-01-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Do I level best as a Tank over a DD?

I have only seen 50+ leveling guides in this forum.
    Here's my suggestion for leveling a warrior:

Level 4

Recovery Posture is the 1st thing you want to get. It heals you as you attack.

Level 16

Now you have AE builders and Finishers, as well as your single-target stuff. In the 20-50 range there are a LOT of AE grinding opportunities, so having good AE is the best option.

Level 21

Now you have Weapon Defense, so that's a 50% mitigation boost and is a big help you your survivability, especially in AE situations. You may notice I didn't suggest the Chains of Life heal finisher. I found that it did way less damage than Bladefury and didn't provide enough healing to keep me up in an overpull, where if I just went full out dps and could kill the mobs faster then I had better survivability than trying to self-heal.

The 4 points in Paragon are for the Rising Waterfall skill to boost your ST dps a bit. Champion on its own has pretty crappy ST -- a lot of people will tell you to ignore the ST attacks and just use the AE ones, but I find that vs 1 mob the ST attacks still slightly beat out the AE ones, so I use ST attacks and macros anyway.

Level 32

Hello Cornered Beast! How are you today? -- This skill is a channeled builder. It's absolutely amazing vs multiple targets and it's pretty much a full heal for you when used in conjunction with Recovery Posture. It's actually a dps loss vs single targets though, so you wouldn't use it if fighting just 1 mob.

You will notice that I haven't suggested the "force a crit" skill. This is because you don't really have any big hitting skills that you'd really care about forcing a crit on until you get Titan's Strike.

Past level 32, just keep adding points to Champion, with the odd side point into Warlord. Once you hit 48-50, then you can swap to the 41 Warlord / 25 Champion build that's preferred for the SL zones.

These are the "final macros" for level 50 for the "Pure Champion" build. Simply leave out the skills you don't have in the lower levels and add them in as you get them.

ST Builder

#show Power Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rising Waterfall
    cast Disruptive Strike
    cast Power Strike
    cast Backhand
    cast Weapon Defense

AE Builder

#show Mighty Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    case Mighty Blow
    cast Weapon Defense

Finisher

#show Thunderous Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Thunderous Strike
    cast Titan's Strike
    cast Bladefury

Prior to level 41 you don't need finisher macros -- use Punishing Blow for ST and Bladefury for AE. After level 41 there's only the 1 finisher -- Thunderous Strike buffs the AE finishers so much that they do way more damage than Punishing Blow anymore. Once you get Titan's Strike, you'll want to use the "Proper Timing" skill to force it to crit, but that's level 48, so it's not really a big deal since that's about when you'd be swapping to the other spec for SL anyway.

Soulwalker

Thank you both. i first tried as tank and now im using your DD advice.
    DD seems more fun at the moment. Im currently using 2 1hand weapons. thats fine or should i use 2hand?
    Last edited by Jens; 02-01-2013 at 11:41 PM.

DD seems more fun at the moment. Im currently using 2 1hand weapons. thats fine or should i use 2hand?
    Use whichever is the higher "item level". I prefer dual wield for proc frequency and I tend to parse slightly higher with it, but it's marginal. Check the AH to reference DPS stats if they don't have a level requirement on the weapon(s) you're wielding.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Soulwalker

Okay, thanks alot!

The way the mechanics work is that if you dual-wield you actually don't get a 2nd off-hand attack, you get the main hand weapon's dps rating multiplied by 1.3 and the offhand weapon is simply a stat-stick.

For some made-up numbers, let's say that you have a 1H weapon with a 20 dps rating. If you dual-wield, it makes it effectively a 26 dps weapon. So if you get a 2H weapon drop at that same level that's higher than 26 dps rating, then it's better to use the 2H.

Post level 50 when you get the Planar Attunement points you can use them to buy weapon buffs. When dual-wielding you can put the Vampiric Essence heal proc on your main-hand and a +40 Attack power one on your offhand (or +30 STR). If using a 2H weapon, you'd probably want to just stick with the Vampiric Essence.

+ Reply to Thread