Closed Thread

Thread: Dual Wielding vs 2-Hander?

Default Dual Wielding vs 2-Hander?

So I've recently returned to RIFT for the expansion, as I tend to do with most MMOs, and am happy to see that quite a bit of work and tuning has gone into all the classes. Warriors, in particular, interest me with the upcoming Tempest soul.

However I've noticed that, way back in the day, the Warrior soul Paragon was the de-facto dual-wielding class with many talents / abilities that were only useful if you dual-wielded. Looking now, I don't see any that specify a type of weapon. I'm guessing this was done to allow them to better blend with other souls, but my question is: Is there any reason to dual-wield now as opposed to 2handed weapons?

I suppose faster, more frequent attacks would allow for more follow-ups, which is the Paragon's new focus, so is that the goal?

Ascendant

Dual Wield is currently better. They are working on bringing 2hander back, but duel wield currently just does more damage.

Beasmaster? Dual Wield.
    Warlord? Dual Wield.
    Paragon? Dual Wield.
    Riftblade? Dual Wield.

Etc.

Auto Attacks don't proc follow ups either.

So the speed of weapons doesn't effect the CD on abilities, or is it all universal without regard to animations?

I figure if a weapon has a speed of 1.8, and another has a speed of 3.8, the faster one would allow for a quicker CD on abilities and thus more of them.

Of course, I might simply be too used to the 'other' game.

Ascendant

Weapon speed affect how fast you hit with auto attacks, and only auto attacks (white damage) not abilities (significatly bigger yellow damage). Abilities have there own cooldowns, and then there is the GLOBAL cooldown of 1.5 secs.

Your are to used to "other" game.

Plane Touched

Dual wield doest more auto attack damage, thats all the difference, unfortunately that difference is 200-400 dps in a raid environment.

They tried fixing it a couple of hotfixes ago but all it did was narrow the gap from 400-600 difference to what it is now.

Going into SL you wanna grab every 1h weapon you can get your hands on and just vendor 2h's.

I'm just holding onto my 2h atm cause im stubborn but dont see me ever using one when I replace what I already have. Whats great is my 2h weapon proc wont proc on maelforge while the guildmates 1h procs without issue.

Telaran

Almost worth it for warriors to go back to daggers in my opinion lol even though we don't get any pa for them. if only there were str based daggers
    Last edited by Valest; 11-10-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valest View Post
    Almost worth it for warriors to go back to daggers in my opinion lol even though we don't get any pa for them. if only there were str based daggers
    Actually we do get PA for daggers now. But you're right that without Strength heavy daggers they aren't worth using.

This will be a moot point in 2 days.

Dual-wield auto attacks are calculated completely differently in the expansion. Currently on Beta the auto attack damage that was causing a discrepancy of 200+ dps has been successfully equalized.
    Last edited by Pines; 11-10-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
    what is this I don't even

This will be a moot point in 2 days.

Dual-wield auto attacks are calculated completely differently in the expansion. Currently on Beta the auto attack damage that was causing a discrepancy of 200+ dps has been successfully equalized.
    That's good to know. I enjoy some builds, like solo'ing, with dual-wield, but my support and Deeps roles just seem cooler with a zweihander.

Also, atm, my lvl 30-ish warrior is dual-wielding str-heavy daggers, which is what prompted this question. I seemed to be doing 2 dps more than with a slower, heavier-dmg 1h mace, and then 4 dps more than my two-hander. It just got me thinking.

Anywho, thanks for the answers all.

Closed Thread