+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MealRain

Thread: Crippler of the Tides vs. Dhel's Spear of the Beast & Shell Encrusted Bow vs. Godslay

Soulwalker

Default Crippler of the Tides vs. Dhel's Spear of the Beast & Shell Encrusted Bow vs. Godslay

The title is really the question I have. A few of my guildies are trying to settle a dispute and I thought I'd take it to the forums.

1) A few warriors have Crippler of the Tides and are looking to upgrade. We are raiding HK and will down Estrode in the next day or so, so is it worth it to p/u DSotB? Is it an overall DPS increase over the CotT?

2) If they should stay with CotT, should they upgrade their bows from Shell Encrusted Bows to Godslayer Bow of Durnes?

I know it also depends on other items and what not, but which would yield more dps? With Estrode going down, I realize that there will be the potential to replace DSotB with the 2h from either HK or RotP, so we are torn. The potential for replacement makes me believe that the bow would be more efficient, but I don't have a way to test it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rift Disciple

whats p/u mean?

I know this isn't really answering your question, but I must've killed Estrode 20+ times before I ever saw a 2hander sword.

Obviously, you may have better RNG, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Looking at the stats on the two 2handers, I'd probably use Crippler if you need the endurance for some reason or aren't able to crit cap without it, otherwise Dhel's spear all the way. That being said I wouldn't go out of your way to get Dhel's Spear unless one falls into your lap, it's not a massive stat increase (plus losing 2 slots of endurance is the kind of thing that bites you in the *** at the worst of times when you're progressing)

Exact same answer with the bows really, you'd just got to consider whether you need the endurance/crit, the dps stats on the none endurance bow are better overall.
    Last edited by Zaiana; 04-02-2012 at 01:36 AM.
    "If the young are not initiated into the Village, they will burn it down just to feel it's warmth"

I'd take the Godslayer/Equalizer since your warrior can always get a relic 2h off LGS/Alsbeth whereas Rogues will also be competing for the Verdant Archbow/Thoughtslayer.

I was in the exact same situation on my alt until today when a Sylvan Greatblade dropped in my GDKP and no-one else wanted it. Made my quest reward decision easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sabtr View Post
    whats p/u mean?
    I assume 'pass up'
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 04-02-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    Nope.

Soulwalker

Default Thnx for responses so far...

I appreciate the insight so far. A few warriors aren't crit capped so I will take that under advisement. I was thinking that was what was going to be said (keep CotT for crit.)

As much as I don't want to turn this into a 1.8 discussion fest, will the choice become more difficult when 1.8 is released? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, with the finishers moving towards AP stats instead of damage modifiers, would it make sense to use DSotB for the AP? Will being Crit capped still be as important? (My guess is that it will be due to the fact that you will be missing out on potential burst dps.)

p/u in my short hand means "pick up." Sorry, I'm a teacher and I'm always trying to find ways to shorten out my descriptions.

Thanks again for all the info.

P.S. Doesn't Estrode drop "Great Sword of Ancient Betrayal?"
    Last edited by Archo; 04-02-2012 at 02:24 AM.

The trade-off between the God-Slayer and Shell Encrusted is really +19 AP vs +19 End. The other variances are much lower (Dex {+/- 8} / Str {+/- 5}, Hit {+/- 3} then Crit {+/- 2}). For DPS Warrior pre 1.8 DEX makes more sense unless they're crit capped. Hence the Shell Encrusted makes sense from a pure damage dealing perspective. The +19 End it brings is also a nice HP bump as well. OTOH if they are crit capped already then the God Slayer makes more sense as it would give the +19 AP with the +5 Str to add to that as well.

Now, if you throw in Runes you can augment with +10 Str or Dex to amplify the effect to Crit or AP also.

With regards to the 2H, I actually shelved my CotT in favor of the Intimidating Shovel for the +28 Str and then added an Incandescent Devastating Rune to it to compensate for the Crit Loss. Losing the +8 End sucked but then again, I wanted the higher damage output and I did get it.

FYI - Rain's BiS list rates the Intimidating Shovel 6 above CotT and five above Dhel's Spear of the Beast.

I'm hopeful for a better two hander as we make our way through HK but my warrior is one of two alts so I'm pretty low in the SK list for that.
    "Might does not make right... It just makes it possible."

Alekto, Cleric - Eryon, Warrior - Mause, Rogue - Casuane, Cleric

Soulwalker

Yea, you are right, Shovel is rated higher. But I guess I'm lost as to why something with a higher score is lower on the list. Perhaps someone more adept at explaining number crunching/theory-mathcrafting can explain.

Because the shovel has .1 higher DPS than the other, it is why it is listed higher on the sheet. However this is a system that will be outdated once the new revision is up, where I will be able to calculate weapon DPS as a point value based on the other stats.

That being said, Personally, go with the Godslayer bow. They are both quest rewards, but the Bow, being itemized without endurance, remains at the top of the BiS list until the bow from Darktide. It is insanely good for the level at which it can be obtained. To me, it's not even a choice. Get the bow and upgrade your 2h when you can. The bow will serve you for a very long time still.
    Last edited by MealRain; 04-02-2012 at 04:42 AM.
    Warrior BiS author
    Retired Theorycrafter
    GM and RL of Ronin

I would suggest your warriors take what they can get for weapons as most 2h drops in HK are STR/AP focused which in 1.8 will be fine but atm not so much, and the range weapons are almost as low in the drop rate department but the most desirable one for us war types drops from Inwar Darktide...very far into HK. it should be easy to amass sufficient crit from other sources than weapons however, runes are a good way to compensate as dex gives 1:1 crit and 1:4 AP.

A 51 riftblade miggghht be different in 1.8 but with everything in 1.7 and everything else in 1.8, it's still far better to crit cap yourself at the expense of AP then anything else tbh.
    "If the young are not initiated into the Village, they will burn it down just to feel it's warmth"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by MealRain View Post
    Because the shovel has .1 higher DPS than the other, it is why it is listed higher on the sheet. However this is a system that will be outdated once the new revision is up, where I will be able to calculate weapon DPS as a point value based on the other stats.

That being said, Personally, go with the Godslayer bow. They are both quest rewards, but the Bow, being itemized without endurance, remains at the top of the BiS list until the bow from Darktide. It is insanely good for the level at which it can be obtained. To me, it's not even a choice. Get the bow and upgrade your 2h when you can. The bow will serve you for a very long time still.
    Holy crap I had the BiS author/poster respond to my comment/question! I didn't expect a response, but thank you very much, and a thank you to everyone who helped answer my questions. Nicest forum response I've had so far.

I'm always around lurking, prowling for questions needing some answers. As much as I think highly of myself, my opinions aren't the only valid ones. Ultimately, the best choice is made by each player, for whatever their end goal is.

I just provide some guidance.
    For information purposes, these are the top 16 2h weapons, sorted POST crit cap with DPS factored into points, however, ignoring Proc effects as I have not completed the documentation on those.

Code:
    Kraken's Spine
    Inferno
    Bonegrinder of Necrotic Ooze
    Vanguard's Great Sword
    Vanguard's Battle Axe
    Greatsword of Ancient Betrayal
    Sylvan Greatblade
    The Soul Reaper
    Dhel's Spear of the Beast
    Intimidating Shovel
    Dread Carver
    Soulless Greatsword
    Planar Conqueror's Polearm
    Hunter's Pursuit
    Greatblade of the Cragborn
    Crippler of the Tides
    And the top Ranged weapons, again POST crit cap.

Code:
    Sailor's Lament
    Godslayer Bow of Durnes/The Equalizer
    Criterion's Recurve Bow
    Undertow Rifle
    Planar Conqueror's Rifle
    Double Barreled Problem Solver
    Fatebringer
    Quantum Repeater
    Stalker's Recurve Bow
    High Thane's Tree Splitter
    Thoughtslayer