+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: I don't enjoy playing my warrior right now.

Prophet of Telara

Default I don't enjoy playing my warrior right now.

This isn't really a whine, or a complaint. It's really just a statement of fact. I don't enjoy it. It's not fun. I know it will be eventually as the nerf/buff cycle swings back towards me, and I know that the developers are at least listening. So I just would like them to listen to this:

My one arbiter for whether something is "balanced" or "good" in a game is whether or not I have fun. And right now, I don't have fun on my warrior. I really don't want to play him, and this has been true for almost a month, and based on 1.5 looks like it will be true for another month. The class needs some changes, because right now, it's not fun.

So, some basic background and reasoning. My warrior is my main, and I have a cleric alt at 50, and a rogue at 29 that I like to play occasionally. I still enjoy the game, there's loads of fun content, the raids are fun, the warfronts are (somewhat) fun, but I don't like my warrior. He's got everything maxed except Port Scion rep and he's only P7. I'm in a 9/11 Hammerknell guild with a regular DPS spot. But at this point, I don't play my warrior unless I have to for a raid, or to get some mats/gear for a raid. And if I could magically transfer his progress to my cleric right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

PvE
    PvE-wise, warriors are pretty fun in 5 mans for DPS, and great for tanking with really nice variety. But raid DPS for warriors is boring as sin. I acknowledge that warrior is not really "my" class in terms of my preferred playstyle (I shoulda rolled a rogue, but I really enjoy tanking, I've just somehow ended up as DPS main and never tank now), but really... the warrior rotations are unexciting or frustrating. When debuffs/buffs/cooldowns can be positioned better with addons, the builds might be less unpleasant to play, but both the RW and the DW 38 para builds have a rotation that is both uninteresting, and easy to futz up (making avoiding bad things hard if you concentrate on your build). And everything else really is just a 2-button spam where you almost completely ignore timing (51 riftblade you literally just spam your builder then fiery burst, to hell with paying attention). And every build is basically similar, you spam your builder, you hit fiery burst. Maybe your builder rotation is more complex in one build than in another, but you spam it, and you hit fiery burst.

Of course, the worst part is, DPS warriors have no niches in a raid. Rogues get to bard, which while unexciting, does make them the best option for various special jobs in raids, like clicking Plutonus crystals or using the Shovel on Thalguur. They get to be dedicated ranged interrupters, and have builds where they can see both the melee and the ranged sides of fights as needed. Mages can be archon or chloro, can be assigned as ranged interrupters, as reflectors, as purgers, as dispellers. They have some of the best AoE, they can do dominator for fights that require control. For all that mages complain about being useless in a raid because their ST DPS isn't the highest, a varied and good mage corps is essential for about half the fights in Hammerknell because of all the jobs and tasks they can (and need to) do. And clerics, of course, can do anything.

But warriors? We can A) Interrupt, and B) Hit things. That's all. The only remotely special job that any warrior performs on any fight in Hammerknell is the 3 of us who deal with the Stewards on Molinar. And occasionally a warrior uses 51 rb to kite mobs up above on Matron, when our cleric who usually does it isn't there. Murdantix favors warriors, and it's fun and all, but it's the same job I have everywhere: Hit things, stay out of bad, interrupt. Zilas? Hit things, stay out of bad, interrupt. Estrode? Hit things, and unequip your weapon if you're MCed! Matron? Hit things, stay out of bad, interrupt. Sicaron? Hit things, stay out of bad. Garau? Hit things, stay out of bad. Inwar? Hit things, stay out of bad.

Every time. Every fight. It's just... tiring. I enjoy the encounters, I enjoy raiding, but I would enjoy raiding more as anything EXCEPT a DPS warrior. Tanking is great. There are changes that would make it better, but you have fun jobs. DPSing? Not so much.

PvP
    Then there's PvP. Every PvPer at this point who wants to be decent does 1 of 2 things: Plays a subdue build (which doesn't appeal to me at all), or plays a riftblade build. You GUTTED para and champ both with that hotfix, and now in 1.5 the main thing that actually needed nerfing (as opposed to everything in the entire class) you are actually nerfing, the offGCDs. Of course, you aren't undoing the horrific, sweeping nerfs to para or champ in PvP in the process, so now those who play either of those as a main soul will be not just a laughingstock, but probably actually feel bad. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing riftblade. But everyone knows my tricks, because every warrior uses them now, and every warrior I fight is doing them on me. It used to be that no one knew you could silence a riftblade, now they get tossed around like candy.

Not to mention that riftblade just doesn't feel... warrior-ey. It's a neat soul, it's a nice new take on what a warrior could be, but... Why aren't most of the mighty warriors out there axe-wielding bulldozers who charge in and smash things instead of spearchuckers who stay out at a distance and poke things until the time is right? On top of that, our PvP soul blows, and has a grand total of 1 useful talent. A talent that, while neat, takes a lot of practice to use, and doesn't really give much noticeable impact unless you're really paying attention to the effects. PvP tanking is still meh.

Again, I acknowledge that I picked the wrong class for PvP probably, I am more of a rogue at heart. But even if I wanted to be a warrior, to charge in and rampage on people at the front lines and make people fear my might, I don't get to be. That spec doesn't exist in an effective form now. Sure, I would probably still play a 51 riftblade build most of the time even if it did. But I'd like to be able to use it as an option sometimes.

Conclusion
    So yeah, I like the game. I like the raiding. PvP is fun. I just don't want to do any of it on my warrior right now. For all that we have variety in what we can choose for a spec in DPS, they tend to all revolve around 1 central thing: Fiery burst in PvE DPS, riftblade spears in PvP DPS, and subdue in PvP tanking. And really... it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

Soulwalker

I completely agree to the below statement and believe that this person has voiced the entirety of ALL warrior dps across ALL shards. Trion IF YOU ARE THERE READ THIS POST IT HAS ALL OF THE WARRIORS FEELINGS IN ONE ADULT RESPECTFUL POINT!! if you play any roll outside of tanking not only is it boring but in fact MOST WARRIOR DPS IN RAIDS AND IN PVP IS ROUGHLY 1/2 TO 2/3 LESS THAN ANY OTHER CLASS EVEN USING A 2 HANDER, i've experienced rogues who hit 1.2k crits and mages who hit 1.5k crits on my pvp spec warrior (who is a voidknight paladin build) which should absorb way more damage but doesnt. if you want to fix something how about balancing instead of nerf/buff till things are just right.i understand rogues need crit for doing dps and mages need spell power and spell crit to even be worth playing... but you know... maybe warriors should have a bit more OOMF in their packages, not just in tanking (oh god dont get me started on having to cross class to even be able to hold agro). in this game there is 1 thats right 1 class that has to go 51 points to work and that is chloromancer. that aside warriors have absolutely nothing unique with their skills, there is no complexity there is no buff class there is no support class there is no special thing that makes warriors stand out. were under par dpsers with plate gear that is all and it upsets me to no end
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    This isn't really a whine, or a complaint. It's really just a statement of fact. I don't enjoy it. It's not fun. I know it will be eventually as the nerf/buff cycle swings back towards me, and I know that the developers are at least listening. So I just would like them to listen to this:

My one arbiter for whether something is "balanced" or "good" in a game is whether or not I have fun. And right now, I don't have fun on my warrior. I really don't want to play him, and this has been true for almost a month, and based on 1.5 looks like it will be true for another month. The class needs some changes, because right now, it's not fun.

So, some basic background and reasoning. My warrior is my main, and I have a cleric alt at 50, and a rogue at 29 that I like to play occasionally. I still enjoy the game, there's loads of fun content, the raids are fun, the warfronts are (somewhat) fun, but I don't like my warrior. He's got everything maxed except Port Scion rep and he's only P7. I'm in a 9/11 Hammerknell guild with a regular DPS spot. But at this point, I don't play my warrior unless I have to for a raid, or to get some mats/gear for a raid. And if I could magically transfer his progress to my cleric right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

PvE
    PvE-wise, warriors are pretty fun in 5 mans for DPS, and great for tanking with really nice variety. But raid DPS for warriors is boring as sin. I acknowledge that warrior is not really "my" class in terms of my preferred playstyle (I shoulda rolled a rogue, but I really enjoy tanking, I've just somehow ended up as DPS main and never tank now), but really... the warrior rotations are unexciting or frustrating. When debuffs/buffs/cooldowns can be positioned better with addons, the builds might be less unpleasant to play, but both the RW and the DW 38 para builds have a rotation that is both uninteresting, and easy to futz up (making avoiding bad things hard if you concentrate on your build). And everything else really is just a 2-button spam where you almost completely ignore timing (51 riftblade you literally just spam your builder then fiery burst, to hell with paying attention). And every build is basically similar, you spam your builder, you hit fiery burst. Maybe your builder rotation is more complex in one build than in another, but you spam it, and you hit fiery burst.

Of course, the worst part is, DPS warriors have no niches in a raid. Rogues get to bard, which while unexciting, does make them the best option for various special jobs in raids, like clicking Plutonus crystals or using the Shovel on Thalguur. They get to be dedicated ranged interrupters, and have builds where they can see both the melee and the ranged sides of fights as needed. Mages can be archon or chloro, can be assigned as ranged interrupters, as reflectors, as purgers, as dispellers. They have some of the best AoE, they can do dominator for fights that require control. For all that mages complain about being useless in a raid because their ST DPS isn't the highest, a varied and good mage corps is essential for about half the fights in Hammerknell because of all the jobs and tasks they can (and need to) do. And clerics, of course, can do anything.

But warriors? We can A) Interrupt, and B) Hit things. That's all. The only remotely special job that any warrior performs on any fight in Hammerknell is the 3 of us who deal with the Stewards on Molinar. And occasionally a warrior uses 51 rb to kite mobs up above on Matron, when our cleric who usually does it isn't there. Murdantix favors warriors, and it's fun and all, but it's the same job I have everywhere: Hit things, stay out of bad, interrupt. Zilas? Hit things, stay out of bad, interrupt. Estrode? Hit things, and unequip your weapon if you're MCed! Matron? Hit things, stay out of bad, interrupt. Sicaron? Hit things, stay out of bad. Garau? Hit things, stay out of bad. Inwar? Hit things, stay out of bad.

Every time. Every fight. It's just... tiring. I enjoy the encounters, I enjoy raiding, but I would enjoy raiding more as anything EXCEPT a DPS warrior. Tanking is great. There are changes that would make it better, but you have fun jobs. DPSing? Not so much.

PvP
    Then there's PvP. Every PvPer at this point who wants to be decent does 1 of 2 things: Plays a subdue build (which doesn't appeal to me at all), or plays a riftblade build. You GUTTED para and champ both with that hotfix, and now in 1.5 the main thing that actually needed nerfing (as opposed to everything in the entire class) you are actually nerfing, the offGCDs. Of course, you aren't undoing the horrific, sweeping nerfs to para or champ in PvP in the process, so now those who play either of those as a main soul will be not just a laughingstock, but probably actually feel bad. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing riftblade. But everyone knows my tricks, because every warrior uses them now, and every warrior I fight is doing them on me. It used to be that no one knew you could silence a riftblade, now they get tossed around like candy.

Not to mention that riftblade just doesn't feel... warrior-ey. It's a neat soul, it's a nice new take on what a warrior could be, but... Why aren't most of the mighty warriors out there axe-wielding bulldozers who charge in and smash things instead of spearchuckers who stay out at a distance and poke things until the time is right? On top of that, our PvP soul blows, and has a grand total of 1 useful talent. A talent that, while neat, takes a lot of practice to use, and doesn't really give much noticeable impact unless you're really paying attention to the effects. PvP tanking is still meh.

Again, I acknowledge that I picked the wrong class for PvP probably, I am more of a rogue at heart. But even if I wanted to be a warrior, to charge in and rampage on people at the front lines and make people fear my might, I don't get to be. That spec doesn't exist in an effective form now. Sure, I would probably still play a 51 riftblade build most of the time even if it did. But I'd like to be able to use it as an option sometimes.

Conclusion
    So yeah, I like the game. I like the raiding. PvP is fun. I just don't want to do any of it on my warrior right now. For all that we have variety in what we can choose for a spec in DPS, they tend to all revolve around 1 central thing: Fiery burst in PvE DPS, riftblade spears in PvP DPS, and subdue in PvP tanking. And really... it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

Agreed. My main is my Warrior, 50, MS tank, nearly HK-ready.. I just don't enjoy playing it anymore. I rolled a mage, got it to level cap, and it now has enough focus for HK, and I'm still enjoying blasting through RR's\T2's, whether I'm healing, DPSing, or running 5-mans as Archon for lols.

I think it's the lack of variety when it comes to Warriors. We are the best tanks (as of right now) and we are the best single-target DPS (as of right now), so I suppose that makes up for the lack of.. everything else. Efficiency is great and all, I'd just like to do something other than Tank\DPS. A support role would be ****ing awesome if you ask me, but I digress.

I'd PvP, but getting facerolled by P8's and then getting spawn camped somehow doesn't appeal to me, especially when there's only 1-2 viable PvP specs for Warriors right now.
    Last edited by Karny; 09-21-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Ascendant

I have played a Warrior since Beta and feel less inclined to log in now.

I agree with all the points made by the OP. It seemed a genuine post voicing how a lot of us feel.

I only log in a few mins before raid time and log off straight away after raid nowadays. What I started playing the game for since beta was PvP and unfortunately over the last few patches and "hotfixes" warriors have become a joke. PvP specs are limited to rift/champ or some sort of rift/pally combo due to how poor physical dmg is and it will only be worse next patch.

I don't think the lack of enjoyment is limited to warriors right now though. 80% of my guild only log in to raid as there's just nothing else to do in this game. The PvP aspect of it are run by monkeys and its become a game where we're just waiting for the next MMO to come out and jump ship ASAP.
    Bangbus - Briarcliff

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    I have played a Warrior since Beta and feel less inclined to log in now.

I agree with all the points made by the OP. It seemed a genuine post voicing how a lot of us feel.
    I never jump ship and in 12 years of MMO gaming I had a single alt character which became my main. I have already rerolled the class I wanted to play. He is an agile fighter with precision and grace that is very capable of dual wielding weapons with a bit of magic twist. You think that is a Riftblade? Wrong. *with a TRION's developer's booming voice* "GO BACK TO YOUR STUPID CLOWN SIZED 2H IDIOTIC WEAPONS. WARRIORS ARE NOTHING BUT IDIOT BRUTS! /whip"
    Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    5000 damage reminds me why I started a mage. can't wait to hit 50 and kill lots of players in pvp with my 5000 damage attacks.

So how to improve warriors? pve and pvp needs more variety.

PVE

1.Undo anything broken from 1.3end to 1.4hot#6 that broke DW DPS in PVE. basically we want dw match 2h.

2.Make all warlord buffs stack with other callings.

3.fix all whetestones.

4. boost onGCD finishers(will help pvp too). why should warriors rely on offgcd's for burst? And why we pigeon to use fiery burst almost exclusively?

PVP

1.Make Lingering Wounds ST only

2.Undo all para champ nerfs and if required only slight adjustments to SLI in PVP ONLY.

Follow Me on Twitter
    Follow Nerds In Denial
    Officer of NiD | youtube Stream

my cleric has more dimensions than my warrior.

RDPS - inq or cabalist. The ST is meh, but the aoe is
    MDPS - Shaman/druid/damage isn't as good as warrior, but it's still pretty darn good
    Melee Healer Hybrid - Shaman/druid/justicar - AOE heals like a champ from those soul fractures
    Ranger Healer Hybrid - Inq/justicar/sent - Same but from ranged
    AOE Healer Hybrid - shaman/inq/just ... I can solo heal most t2's while dishing competetive aoe damage.
    Tank - Justicar (w self heals and battle res) ... don't let the clerics fool you, they are clutch in HK with their ridiculously high effective HP.
    MT Healer (w shields) - 51 Purifier/15 sent effectively increases any tanks effective HP with the addition of shields, needed for a lot of the raid bosses
    MT Normal - 34 puri/32 sent best ST healer in the game
    AOE Healer - 51 Warden best AOE healer in game

My warrior has -----

MDPS
    AOE MDPS
    High Mitigation tank
    Support tank
    Last edited by Vaine; 09-22-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Rift Disciple

Nor do I... May unsub after another patch or two, let's see if they fix us

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by arconite View Post
    MOST WARRIOR DPS IN RAIDS AND IN PVP IS ROUGHLY 1/2 TO 2/3 LESS THAN ANY OTHER CLASS EVEN USING A 2 HANDER
    I don't know where you're getting this, as warriors have both the highest single target, and (situationally) the highest AoE damage in raids. We are definitely the best at damage right now.

My complaint is just that it's a boring job, both because the rotations are all similar (and boring) and because we have no other jobs.

I did forget one job in raids: a 29 rb/champ build is the best person to do snares on Vladmal with freeze armor (no threat and ranged, cast it on each new excavator that comes out) and leg sweep. But 2 rogues just turning and throwing adhesive bombs while they DPS works pretty well anyway.

And again: I still enjoy the game. I still log a lot of hours outside of raids. They're just on my alt.
    Last edited by MrFunsocks; 09-22-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Most telling:

I've been WFing on an alt in the 20-29 bracket and I see very few warriors leveling up. On average, I'd say it's 40% clerics, 30% mages, 20% rogues and 10% warriors. And I'm betting those 10% warriors are folks new to the game who don't know better!

I have to agree with the original post when it comes to being a DPS warrior. Unfortunately, we don't have any options other than DPS warrior or plate tank.

It's kinda boring and one dimensional. I have to admit, getting to tank inbetween DPSing is what keeps me going. The DPS role is quite dull, and becomes more dull with each patch/nerf session.

My warrior is fine. Fun to play and pwns casters in PVP. I rolled a cleric to help out WF's that have a lack of heals. I don't know why anyone would complain about the warrior class other than they are just bored.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Drude View Post
    My warrior is fine. Fun to play and pwns casters in PVP. I rolled a cleric to help out WF's that have a lack of heals. I don't know why anyone would complain about the warrior class other than they are just bored.
    Because the warrior class is boring? You're in the minority here. Most warriors don't really seem to be enjoying their warrior, and wish they had a different calling as their main. They're perfectly happy to keep playing, to keep raiding, they just would rather play a different calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Delolith View Post
    I never jump ship and in 12 years of MMO gaming I had a single alt character which became my main. I have already rerolled the class I wanted to play. He is an agile fighter with precision and grace that is very capable of dual wielding weapons with a bit of magic twist. You think that is a Riftblade? Wrong. *with a TRION's developer's booming voice* "GO BACK TO YOUR STUPID CLOWN SIZED 2H IDIOTIC WEAPONS. WARRIORS ARE NOTHING BUT IDIOT BRUTS! /whip"
    So what are you playing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast