+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best augment for a Blood-Forged Claymore?

Ascendant

Default Best augment for a Blood-Forged Claymore?

I'm getting the new 2H crafted and am trying to figure out an augment.

Here's what I'm conisdering:

Razormaw Spine = +11 Dex/+12 crit = +23 crit/2.75 AP
    Flawless Theifstone +19 Dex = +19 crit/4.75 AP
    Lustrous Dragonian Scale + X crit (What's X?)

So what is best?

Plane Touched

It really depends on how you weigh the stats.

That said, it will probably be easier (and likely cheaper) to get a flawless thiefstone, now that apothecaries can craft them. Also, one recipe combine gives 2 augments, so you could save the extra for another piece of gear or sell it.

Ascendant

Razormaws are incredibly rare, yeah.
    The dex augment is fine. For a fleshed out T3 caliber warrior, attack starts to be more important anyway looking towards HK.
    Last edited by PFalcon; 08-23-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Soulwalker

In light of the upcoming/expected changes on the PTS, is dex still the way to go for the augment?

Plane Touched

No one knows. The build that was on the test server over the weekend was not tested before it went up and had a lot of bugs.

That said, it does seem as though the intention is to make strength more desirable or even the better stat for warriors. How that will play out on live remains to be seen.

What build do you use with a 2 hander? If you like to use a 51 riftblade spec, then I would say strength for sure.

Champion of Telara

Given that we know they are gonna change stat ratios in 1.5 (yeah I know what is on PTS is bugged but it is enough to tell me they are changing stuff) I would not waste plat on crafted items now. I just recently spent alot of time/plat on Blood-forged armor pieces with Dex augs and I have this feeling I am gonna be pissed come 1.5.

Rift Disciple

If you have to buy it in the next few days, before the PTS stat changes settle down, I recommend a pure +str augment. We can be reasonably sure that str will be point-for-point better than dex. Will it be better than one of the hybrid (dex/crit) augments? Who knows?

Legond <Drunken Badgers> of Shadefallen, unsubbed

wait for 1.5 then get mighty (19 str) one
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Ascendant

Definitely wait until the new revised numbers are out. The numbers on the PTS this weekend were in error and this has been confirmed by the devs. What the final numbers will be is an open question.

Assuming strength gets a moderate boost, Pristine Troll Hide is likely to be best. The direct boost to crit is really the important parameter.

Personally, I used a Barbed Razormaw Spine since I found one on the AH for less than a thiefstone.

Soulwalker

*sigh* Ok I'll wait....

My issue is I need to upgrade my weapons since I'm still using some random dropped blue 2Hander, and it's starting to hurt now that I'm trying to get into T2's.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Uilwen View Post
    *sigh* Ok I'll wait....

My issue is I need to upgrade my weapons since I'm still using some random dropped blue 2Hander, and it's starting to hurt now that I'm trying to get into T2's.
    If that is the case, to put it in another perspective, regardless of the possible upcoming stat changes, getting the crafted 2 hander with any augment will be a big dps boost for your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Uilwen View Post
    *sigh* Ok I'll wait....

If you want to get it done now and plan on using it more than a week or two I wouldn't shy away from strength and would go Str or Str/Crit, cleary they want to buff strength. Short term is a different story, are you actively raiding, that could have a huge impact on how long you need the weapon?

Plane Touched

He said he was progressing into tier 2s and currently using a blue 2 hander. That's why I say don't wait, even if you can get a thiefstone easier than something else, you'll get a lot more dps than what you have now.

Rift Disciple

I would say go with a str/crit aug. I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure that is what I put on mine.

Ascendant

If you want to get your sword now, get either:
    Barbed Razormaw Spine -- +Dex/+crit -- currently the best augment
    Pristine Troll Hide -- +Str/+crit -- currently 3rd best augment (behind Thiefstone as +Dex)

In either case the +crit value is unlikely to change, so even if the relative str/dex balance changes you'll be protected from the changes.

I would hesitate to get a Flawless augment of either pure +Dex or +Str, since its unclear how the stat weights will change.

+ Reply to Thread