+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is lvling as a tank viable ?

Default Is lvling as a tank viable ?

Hi folks I was curious.Is a full on tanking spec a good idea for leveling or is it too slow? I am curretntly running a pally/reaver/void combo and it seems to be working rather well but Im only 9 and not too sure how itll be in the future.Any suggestions? Thanks

Telaran

I leveled my Eth warrior as a tank, and yes it's totally viable. It's not that much slower, honestly. The trick is, after a certain point early on, to just pull a few mobs at once.

My build was the Ciderhelm "Leveling as tank" build, (28reav/18paly/10warlord) but most of that leveling could've been done just as easily with 33reav/33paly.

The benchmark abilities are things like Shield Charge, and from reaver Soul Feast and Soul Devour.

Edit: if you plan on tanking for 5-mans, I do recommend those ten points in Warlord - those were bread and butter for simple tanking for instances. 33reav/33paly isn't bad at all, but the warlord points ease you into tanking better.
    Last edited by strayth; 07-21-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson86 View Post
    Hi folks I was curious.Is a full on tanking spec a good idea for leveling or is it too slow? I am curretntly running a pally/reaver/void combo and it seems to be working rather well but Im only 9 and not too sure how itll be in the future.Any suggestions? Thanks
    If you're levelling in a tank build I highly suggest doing as many instances as you can for levelling speed.

I leveled my warrior as a "pseudo" tank. I actually didn't have many problems tanking most instances until the mid 40s when I invested in a second spec for that.

I leveled Riftblade/Reaver/Warlord. Though I didn't really put many points into warlord. The main thing was the self healing from Reaver to reduce downtime and AoEing packs of mobs down with RB skills and reaver dots.

Plane Touched

Your first couple of roles are pretty affordable even at low levels. There's no reason to do everything as ANY one spec, you can have several options and chose whatever is the most suitable for what you're currently doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson86 View Post

Pally/Reaver/Void is great for leveling. Especially when you have a large amount of mobs on you. I love the survivability and the AoE grinding. It really starts to take off after the 20s.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    If you're levelling in a tank build I highly suggest doing as many instances as you can for levelling speed.
    This is what I did all the way to level 50. Was very fast ... BUT ... you will be dirt poor at level 50. I think I had <20pp on my character at level 50 and no way to buy any toughness gear. And try to get the LFD to pop with bad stats at 50 even as a tank is a LONG wait. So if you do this, you had better be in a guild so they can carry you till you get geared up.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Heguo View Post
    Your first couple of roles are pretty affordable even at low levels. There's no reason to do everything as ANY one spec, you can have several options and chose whatever is the most suitable for what you're currently doing.
    Theres a fairly good reason if you're planning on tanking stuff well, the gear sets.

Its all good having two roles and you might be able to get away with in in the low instances but having tank focused gear helps a lot.

+ Reply to Thread