+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kruunch's Universal Grinding Build (World PvE/PvP)

Lightbulb Kruunch's Universal Grinding Build (World PvE/PvP)

Spent some time since 1.3 grinding rifts, invasions and faction on a PvP server, and have settled on a build that has performed real well for me (best grinding build I've tested since 1.3 came live). The idea behind this build is to be able to grind rifts (minor and major) and Stillmoor faction (multiple elites at once) while being survivable/capable when getting jumped in the big bad world. It is primarily an AOE build with self heals and some sneaky burst for the unwary would-be-ganker(s).

UPDATE: Updated for the 1.5 patch: Loss of interrupts and taunts (as dps boosts).

Higher Gear Point (PvP server oriented): http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c....Vuoxuzkz.xLoz

Lower Gear Point (PvE server oriented): http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...uq0h0kz0z.xxoz

Macros:

Main Spam:

#show searing strike
    cast aggressive block
    cast retaliation
    cast frost strike
    cast searing strike
    cast flamespear
    cast stonespear

AOE Spam:

#show thunder strike
    cast aggressive block
    cast retaliation
    cast concussion (again not a tanking build and does non-physical damage that is buffed by Rift Fury (NOT nerfed in 1.5))
    cast frost strike
    cast thunderstrike

AOE Finisher:

#show storm burst
    cast storm burst
    cast cyclone strike (if using the PvE version)
    cast earth burst
    cast fiery burst

DOT Macro:

#show plague bringer
    cast plague bringer
    cast soul sickness
    cast necrotic wounds

Buffs:

Planar Blade
    Shield of the Hero
    Aegis of Vitality
    Crest of the Abyss
    Binding of Affliction
    Companion Pet (so you can proc Power From the Masses while solo (Fluffy the Destroyer of Worlds doesn't count as a companion pet as of the Fluffy change in 1.4))

Rotations:

1) open with DOT macro (hit it enough to cast through Necrotic Wounds)
    2) AOE Spam until 3 points
    3) AOE finisher (you can use the AOE finisher against single targets as well if you don't want the extra hotkey for Fiery Burst hanging around).

NOTE: If possible, start with 3 APs and Fiery Burst to start to buff your DOTs and self heals (i.e. Soul Feast).

Other Hot Keys of Note (PvE):

1) Face Slam (interrupt). Keep this handy for both PvP and PvE

2) Touch of Life (duh)

3) Master of the Abyss - short cool down (ish) heal. Heals decently even against solo targets.

4) Tempered Will - get out of jail free card.

5) Rift Walk - This is your combined charge and get out of jail free card (and refreshes with each crit via Planar Blade)

6) Blood Fever - Keep on the side to work into your AOE rotation for extra damage and 5% hit debuff.

7) Stoneshield - Handy against incoming special attacks (especially good against elite casters)

8) Fiery Burst - So you can buff your DOTs and self heals on-demand.

9) Sweeping Strike (if using lower gear point / PvE build) - Use after you've *applied* a burst (burst + ability). Hits like a truck (even on single target).

Hotkeys of Note (PvP):

1) Touch of Life (duh)

2) Master of the Abyss - because Warriors who can heal themselves scares baby Jesus.

3) Rift Surge - This is part of the sneaky burst damage.

4) Windspear - This is what kills off those pesky Doms and Clerics when well timed.

5) Shadow of Dread - This is how I survive 2v1 and even 3v1.

6) Infestation - Another big part of your sneaky burst damange.

7) Freeze Armor - Wait ... a tank is kiting me?!

8) Weakening Essence - Wait ... a tank is kiting US?!

9) Sweeping Strike (if using lower gear point / PvE build) - Use after you've *applied* a burst (burst + ability). Hits like a truck (even on single target).

Gear:

This is a sword and board spec, however you should be in all DPS gear (crit based) with the exception of your Sigil (use a tanking one if you have it) and trinket (use a block/heal trinket such as the Insanity Sliver). If you feel squishy at lower gear levels, switch to an all tank gear setup (keep in mind Planar Blade will not proc very often and in this case I suggest swapping some points into Ethereal Bond (from Planar Attunement)).

The idea is to get a moderate amount of block while still having a decent crit rating (hopefully somewhere around 15% for most people with moderate gear).

Alternatively if you're not on a PvP server, you have some extra points you can mess around with. Specifically 4 in Rift Blade (you won't need Unrelenting, Rift Surge, Windspear) and in Reaver (don't need Shadow of Dread or Tempered Will (Rift Walk suffices here usually) but you do want at least 23 points in Reaver for PFtM, Soul Devour, and Master of Abyss).

Bragging:

This build allows me to solo major invasions (multiple elites), MAJOR rifts (timers can be dicey on some), and multiple people in world PvP (unless they are very good and/or the right class combinations). I've also solo'd normal AP in this build (albeit slowly). This build is not incredibly fast against single target (PvE) but melts whole groups really quickly and you'll giggle the first time you tackle a few elites and end the fight with full life.

Caveat: My gear level is entirely T3 so keep that in mind when planting yourself in front of a dozen elites or jumping in front of that opposing faction group and screaming "HA!".

Let me know how this build works for you if you try it.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 09-29-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Sounds wonderful and Im gonna test it as soon as possible but right now Im levelling. Im level 32 right now, which trees would you fill first? Reaver/Pala and then work on rb? (I would put 6 in RB for frozen armor first, then fill Reaver/Pala, and finish RB)

Quote Originally Posted by Erhnam View Post
    Sounds wonderful and Im gonna test it as soon as possible but right now Im levelling. Im level 32 right now, which trees would you fill first? Reaver/Pala and then work on rb? (I would put 6 in RB for frozen armor first, then fill Reaver/Pala, and finish RB)
    I levelled with a Reaver/RB build but that was almost a whole different game back then (all those many months ago lol).

But it's still a fairly strong build so I'd go RB/Reaver first and add in pally at the end (you shouldn't be doing a whole lot of elites solo prior to 50 anyways and getting jumped is meaningless if they outlevel you by a ton (both of which is what Pally helps against)).

Telaran

I'm going to try this as soon as I hit 50 tonight.

Thanks!

EDIT: Any suggestions for gearing up a new 50 for this type of build?
    Last edited by CarnivaleR; 07-07-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivaleR View Post
    I'm going to try this as soon as I hit 50 tonight.

Thanks!

EDIT: Any suggestions for gearing up a new 50 for this type of build?
    Run as many experts as possible (especially xAP).

Soulwalker

Seems like a solid build for performing a single man version of the movie 300 Got all the important materials namely heals and AOE even includes some nice dots! I would use this spec if I tanked

Prophet of Telara

Kruunch - how do you find your power is?

I'm asking because one thing I REALLY like in grinding builds - is martial shield. My first thought would be that it'd worth taking a point out of small arms just to take it. Also noticed in your linked build - you didn't pick up rift surge... guessing you're at 2/3 for the parry to get it?
    Last edited by Caeldan; 07-07-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Rift Disciple

I used a siimilar build in 1.2 with paragon instead of paladin. I've been using 32 pal / 29 rb / 5 champ since then. I'll have to try this out and see how it goes.

RIFT Guide Writer Kutsuu Isback's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I levelled with a Reaver/RB build but that was almost a whole different game back then (all those many months ago lol).

But it's still a fairly strong build so I'd go RB/Reaver first and add in pally at the end (you shouldn't be doing a whole lot of elites solo prior to 50 anyways and getting jumped is meaningless if they outlevel you by a ton (both of which is what Pally helps against)).
    There's no reason not to go those first 6 points in paladin asap for the 25% block it gives you.
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/kutsmuffinsig.png

Quote Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
    Kruunch - how do you find your power is?

I'm asking because one thing I REALLY like in grinding builds - is martial shield. My first thought would be that it'd worth taking a point out of small arms just to take it. Also noticed in your linked build - you didn't pick up rift surge... guessing you're at 2/3 for the parry to get it?
    Oops how did that happen?! Fixed the link up top. I go 4/5 Elemental Flux to grab Rift Surge.

The problem with Martial Shield and Rift Blade is that more times then not, Fiery Burst is going to be your go to finisher, which doesn't benefit from having 3 AP as soon as possible (since you don't want to overwrite your own DOT). Your other finishers are on cool downs, so they don't benefit from Martial Shield as much either. It's handy to have but ultimately, not as useful outside of Champ builds.

Power consumption is spikey. The AOEs chew up a lot of power, but then it all can come rushing back with a string of crits via Planar Blade. All in all, it works well if you're running 15%+ crit (very achievable with mixed gear).

Quote Originally Posted by fm11 View Post
    I used a siimilar build in 1.2 with paragon instead of paladin. I've been using 32 pal / 29 rb / 5 champ since then. I'll have to try this out and see how it goes.
    Yeah Paladin is mandatory for the block.

However I found after using some heavy Paladin / RB combos, that I was having survivability issues with mixed packs (casters and melee), caster elites and when being jumped by a player with heavy non-phys damage attacks.

Definitely stronger against melee but overall, you find yourself shying away from certain encounters (and I'm a huge fan of robust builds).

Quote Originally Posted by Kutsuu Isback View Post
    There's no reason not to go those first 6 points in paladin asap for the 25% block it gives you.
    True, although at the mid-range levels, block isn't doing as much for you as it does later on (remember we're talking world PvE here).

This is in my levelling experience as brief as it was and many patches ago (1.0) so take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

Going those 6 points first certainly won't hurt anything.

P.S. - I tried the grind spec you recommended (Pally/RB) and while stronger against melee and slightly faster at AOEing packs, it lacked against non-lethal damage to the point where I would have to actually bypass caster elites and pray to god I didn't get jumped by a Dom or Cleric. YMMV.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 07-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Oops how did that happen?! Fixed the link up top. I go 4/5 Elemental Flux to grab Rift Surge.

The problem with Martial Shield and Rift Blade is that more times then not, Fiery Burst is going to be your go to finisher, which doesn't benefit from having 3 AP as soon as possible (since you don't want to overwrite your own DOT). Your other finishers are on cool downs, so they don't benefit from Martial Shield as much either. It's handy to have but ultimately, not as useful outside of Champ builds.

Power consumption is spikey. The AOEs chew up a lot of power, but then it all can come rushing back with a string of crits via Planar Blade. All in all, it works well if you're running 15%+ crit (very achievable with mixed gear).
    If only you had 3 more points to get cyclone strike Then it'd be a nice cycle. I guess I got used to using it with a paladin/paragon/wl build - so it was real handy to SLI>Scales of Justice>Spotter's Order.
    Same with against rogues you could get yourself up to 3 AP real fast. But yeah, now that I think about it more it probably doesn't benefit this build too much.
    Another trick too for helping with spikey power can be using Rift Storm (though you'd need to drop a point to grab it - I'd probably take it cause I also like the storm effect lol). It's nice to pop when you have a big pack on you - you'll sit at full power nearly the full time because something almost always gets crit on.
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
    If only you had 3 more points to get cyclone strike Then it'd be a nice cycle. I guess I got used to using it with a paladin/paragon/wl build - so it was real handy to SLI>Scales of Justice>Spotter's Order.
    Same with against rogues you could get yourself up to 3 AP real fast. But yeah, now that I think about it more it probably doesn't benefit this build too much.
    Another trick too for helping with spikey power can be using Rift Storm (though you'd need to drop a point to grab it - I'd probably take it cause I also like the storm effect lol). It's nice to pop when you have a big pack on you - you'll sit at full power nearly the full time because something almost always gets crit on.
    Yep yep ... I would definitely recommend Rift Storm for PvE servers (I just *hate* getting jumped and feeling like I didn't have the tools to defend myself).

Cyclone Strike is sexy in other builds ... you get much more damage out of Stormburst in this build however. Scarily so.

Rift Disciple

Tried this out while doing Mathos dailies today. Killing War Golems and the Elite pats with there underlings. I was getting hit way too hard and switched to Tank chest and pants, managing to just hit 260 AP and 15% crit. I get energy starved on 1v1 fights but I can pull 8+ regulars and end the fight with more health then I started with.

Still not sure if this beats out 32 Pal/ 28 RB.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast