+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladins - Too many points in Balance of Power/Tip the Balance?

Default Paladins - Too many points in Balance of Power/Tip the Balance?

Most Paladin builds I see are around the 28 points invested mark. Looking at these I can't help but feel those points can be better spent with so many competitive options from other trees. Obviously, if you need Light's Decree for threat or are heading off to 44 point root talents this isn't the same argument.

For example, this kind of build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...zM.xE00o.gc0qI

For those operating in Paladin under 32 points, I am becoming increasing convinced that 1 point in Balance of Power is enough to extract most of the benefit. You lose the small amount of self healing but 120% of weapon damage on a block isn't a lot less threat than 160% of weapon damage on a block.

Neither have I found much use for Reverent Protection (open to suggestion if it's essential for some fights). Removing this, the 4 from the block talents, Martial Shield and switching your shield buff, frees up 6 very valuable points, losing Scales of Justice admittedly as well.

These are quite a lot to play with, particularly for those wanting to get further up the VK tree. Devourer and Rift Shield can be added to the standard 22ish VK spec which makes for a pretty awesome magic mitgation package whilst still letting you keep your 16/18 points in WL or Reaver depending on your preference.

For example: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...00oz.gc0VI0V0z

Am I missing something? Is the self healing from Tip the Balance more valuable than I am giving credit? It's seems you are giving up a potentially very large amount of mitigation for it.
    Last edited by Achenar; 03-21-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Achenar View Post
    Am I missing something? Is the self healing from Tip the Balance more valuable than I am giving credit? It's seems you are giving up a potentially very large amount of mitigation for it.
    I think Tip the Balance is worth it, personally. If you think about what is happening here, it means that any attack under a certain amount of damage - at level 39, it's about 50 damage for me - has no effect on the Paladin. It means that any attack for under 50 damage can potentially raise your health rather than lowering it, giving you a big advantage against any attacker who uses a series of fast, weak attacks.

Second, if your goal is to make a second defensive tank soul, what are you proposing is a better option? Tip the Balance, in my opinion, is second only to the Reaver's Grisly Works and Soul Devour in terms of useful mitigation. Hell, it is better in a few cases. Combine the two and you have some ridiculous defense.

Also, I highly HIGHLY recommend pairing this build with the Greater Planar Essence that grants heals on a successful block.

Quote Originally Posted by nocks View Post
    I think Tip the Balance is worth it, personally. If you think about what is happening here, it means that any attack under a certain amount of damage - at level 39, it's about 50 damage for me - has no effect on the Paladin. It means that any attack for under 50 damage can potentially raise your health rather than lowering it, giving you a big advantage against any attacker who uses a series of fast, weak attacks.

Second, if your goal is to make a second defensive tank soul, what are you proposing is a better option? Tip the Balance, in my opinion, is second only to the Reaver's Grisly Works and Soul Devour in terms of useful mitigation. Hell, it is better in a few cases. Combine the two and you have some ridiculous defense.

Also, I highly HIGHLY recommend pairing this build with the Greater Planar Essence that grants heals on a successful block.
    I don't wish to be unkind but I am not talking about levelling builds and I know what the talent does. This is about mitigation for raiding and experts. I have given alternatives in my post, your celebrated Grisly Works is not a talent any respectable tank has. Hell, the 44 point reaver build doesn't even include it, it's so bad.

My point is that the healing you receive from Tip the Balance is massively outweighed by the damage you mitigate from say, Devourer and Rift Shield, with a boss button mashing his hardest at you.

Champion of Telara

i've considered getting rid of it. my only option really is going deeper into vk. considering magic parses as such a small portion of a boss's damage i just dont see it being worth it.

+ Reply to Thread