+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soldier's Bearing vs Slayer's Bearing

Default Soldier's Bearing vs Slayer's Bearing

I am currently dpsing as a Champ/BM and have found myself scratching my head a few times on the optimum choices for rotation and buffs.

Slayer's Bearing is obviously higher up the tree and thus I assume should provide more raw dps. However, although maths is not my forte it is clear that there must be crit levels where it is not an increase. For argument's sake, if your crit chance was 0% Soldier's Bearing is obviously better value.

I don't have way of the river or any other direct crit boosts and I wondered if at T1 gear levels (and thus not astronomical crit rates) whether my initial assumptions might be incorrect.

Similarly, using Bladefury vs Feral Sweep in your average AoE situation. Feral Sweep has better absolute numbers but if you are using it continuously, the bleed will be overwritten resulting in a dps loss.

Any number crunchers able to shed any light?
    Last edited by Achenar; 03-12-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Soulwalker

I did some quick math when I was wondering the same thing. The conclusion I came to was excluding proper timing and abilities with +critical chance like bloodthirst, Soldier's Bearing is superior until around 30% crit rate.

I'd guess that even with proper timing and the other abilities added to the equation, soldier's bearing still wins til 25%~ crit.

100*(1-crit) + 175*crit > 108*(1-crit) + 162*crit
    It's not a damage meters fault you can't hit a certain dps and others similar to you can, it's the fault of your bad gear, bad spec, or bad rotation. So stop getting mad at the meters and invest some time into not being bad.

DPS Mathcraft - How damage works
    DPS Mathcraft - STR vs DEX
    DPS Mathcraft - Armor
    Warrior DPS Calculator *UPDATED* v0.2
    Paragon Rebalancing Suggestion

Basically it comes down to consistent damage or crit burst damage really.I would say in an instance clearing mobs or at bosses run soldiers.

I do think in pvp run slayers cause your gonna want all the burst you can get.But like was said earlier it is probably a good idea to have like at least 15-20 crit for it to be affective.

This is gonna be one of my main dps builds and slayer's bearing will really shine in this build

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...uAzsR.E0czoRMb

Basically my rotation is pvp paired strike>death touch>flinching strike>path of the hurricane.So both of my follow ups will crit and death touch hits really hard with all the %crit damage.And when death and hurricane are on cd.

Paired strikes>rising waterfall>flinching strike>rising waterfall or path of the hurricane.

I really think this rotation is gonna have probably the best burst damage out of any warrior class
    "Martillos" 50 Guardian warrior of deepstrike Rank 3 (retired)

"Brujita" 50 Defiant cleric of briarcliff Rank 4

"Fist Of The Empire"

Soulwalker

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't slayer's bearing increase critical strike damage and not improve your overall crit rating? At lower levels I can see Soldier's Bearing outshining Slayer's Bearing, but with a decent crit rating Slayer's Bearing should be better especially if you are specced into improved bearings

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by insomnium24 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't slayer's bearing increase critical strike damage and not improve your overall crit rating? At lower levels I can see Soldier's Bearing outshining Slayer's Bearing, but with a decent crit rating Slayer's Bearing should be better especially if you are specced into improved bearings
    Yup. All the comments in this thread refer to crit bonus damage, so they're all valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    100*(1-crit) + 175*crit > 108*(1-crit) + 162*crit
    Its 38% btw
    It's not a damage meters fault you can't hit a certain dps and others similar to you can, it's the fault of your bad gear, bad spec, or bad rotation. So stop getting mad at the meters and invest some time into not being bad.

DPS Mathcraft - How damage works
    DPS Mathcraft - STR vs DEX
    DPS Mathcraft - Armor
    Warrior DPS Calculator *UPDATED* v0.2
    Paragon Rebalancing Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    Its 38% btw
    Thanks, that was a little easier to comprehend than your previous response

The next logical question, I suppose, is how easy is it to push towards that number in a 5 man/raiding situation. Although my tooltip crit is only around 12%, there are obviously lots of other factors pushing up your actual crit chance.

I understand that Archons for example tend to apply crit buffs and debuffs if you have one along. Champions may quite conceivably have access to Mark of Extermination. Abilities like Diversion Strike (increased 10% crit chance for 10 seconds, once every 30 seconds = 3% flat assuming maximum uptime?) or Rift Strike also claim to buff your crit chance. Do we know how much of this stuff stacks together? If so, how much extra crit can we be expecting to carry about in an average grouping situation?

Not easy to work out by myself at any rate

Rift Chaser

If you push a lot on physical crit and dex you can get to say 20% just fine. With some talents, namely in paragon you can get to 28% with that spec (the 5% proc and 3% standard). Now, to close the remaning 10% gap, you either need some bard (about 5% crit additionally), perhaps other talents that you can find that fit right in (BM for example 30secs cd for 10secs of 10%+ crit). Or simply get better gear. But notice that this means that your attack power/strength may be lacking.

It is still uncertain what the right balance is, but stacking crit is 10 times easier than stacking attackpower.

I run with about 28% crit in pve solobuffed (500 ap, 160 hit, 31.4dps weapon (no drops gg) fyi).

Mark of extermination is often dispelled within secs by the boss.

I doubt its 3% flat increase in dps with 10% crit for 10 every 30 secs. Some procs depend on it and it is also based on how many abilities you are going to use in that time frame. It may be well over that 3%.
    Last edited by Koffiegast; 03-13-2011 at 09:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread