+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lvl 50 DPS builds - Limited choices

Default Lvl 50 DPS builds - Limited choices

My guild is quite well set for tanks at the moment so I decided to look into setting up a couple of DPS builds for expert modes and raiding - and, well, the range of options does not look fantastic.

Principally, the difficultly is the terrible synergy between trees that warriors suffer from. It seems there are at least four seperate problems contributing to this:

1) Tanking trees don't play nice with DPSing. Too many talents which mitigate/avoid damage and abilities designed to create threat or explicitly taunt to be worth spending significant numbers of points on. This effectively off the bat eliminates 4 of our souls from consideration (possible exception of the Reaver).

2) Duel Wielding vs 2 Handers. The paragon tree is nightmarish in its dependence on equipping two weapons and parrying. I look enviously at all those mage souls with talents offering 5% crit for 5 pts in the first tier and compare with a bizarre world where extra parry is supposed to help me when I am positioned where it is not possible to be parried...

3) Physical vs Non-physical damage. Of the remaining 4, riftblades differ significantly from the other three in doing magical rather than physical damage. This problem is mitigated to a large extent in PVP by the use of the Reaver tree but has issues in PvE (see 1). Additionally, riftblades are an odd mix of range and melee ability, becoming more melee focussed in the root as points go in.

4) 51 point builds = picking up all kinds of crap. PvP talents, abilities that aren't in the rotation and ones which are plain bad value.

The upshot of looking at all this I don't think there are many 'good' end game dps builds as things stand. Undoubtedly, it is possible to mix Paragon and Champion albeit somewhat unhappily. Beastmaster is the one saving grace in that I think it fits with all the other three in that it offers an independent source of dps and a few much needed passive talents such as hit and melee damage increases. However, it remains to be seen how much dps the pet actually puts out and it may end up being a bad investment points wise as well.

TL: DR - Not many choices for warrior dps at 50. What are you going to play?
    Last edited by Achenar; 03-06-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Telaran

I'm torn I was taken in by this game when I the reaver class ( I play an mmo only if i can find 1 or 2 classes I can identify with / think are interesting) then My focus became a void knight. I've decided to go void knight main since I like it above all the other warrior souls. I'm currently leveling with many different specs to try nd make a dps void knight.

I dreamed of having a void knight paragon or a void knight champion now I'm not sure. void knight beast master is also pretty fun outside of pvp. for pvp at the moment i;m liking the synergy between void knight and warlord with beast master for extra white dps from pet, i think I'll stick with it for a bit.

some of the soul abilites do need some major reworking though I can agree especially with most of the 5 talents being down right godly or downright horrrible. I shouldnt be punished for wanting to go pure but void knight seems like a 2-38 point tree t best. pvp ill prob wind up void / warlord/ vindic and pve ill either wind up void / paragon / beastmaster or just void / beast master

im either playing

51champ 15 para < for destroyers bearing
    46 champ 20 para < for 5% more crit when u crit
    51para 15 champ < for flurry ( not to sure on para as it has had dismal performance so far)

as it wouldnt let me edit my post here are my builds

51champ 15 para < for destroyers bearing - http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cukL.E0x.EAsdqRrGudz
    46 champ 20 para < for 5% more crit when u crit - http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...0V.EAcdqRrG0zz
    51para 15 champ < for flurry ( not to sure on para as it has had dismal performance so far)http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0ckuL.E0ck.EetsuAusR

Soulwalker

Why would you get the 51point Paragon ability? It has a 4 second channel time, you might as well put more points into champion for Frenzied Strike.

Quote Originally Posted by blaz3d View Post
    as it wouldnt let me edit my post here are my builds

51champ 15 para < for destroyers bearing - http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cukL.E0x.EAsdqRrGudz
    46 champ 20 para < for 5% more crit when u crit - http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...0V.EAcdqRrG0zz
    51para 15 champ < for flurry ( not to sure on para as it has had dismal performance so far)http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0ckuL.E0ck.EetsuAusR
    51 champ 15 para / 46 champ 20 para - The problem of end game gear is insane amount of +hit which neglects 2 of the reactive abilities - Turn the Blade and Inescapable fury. With 18% chance to hit i didn`t get a proc almost 1 hour fighting 50s. In heroic dungeon, one proc in 20-30 mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chochko View Post
    51 champ 15 para / 46 champ 20 para - The problem of end game gear is insane amount of +hit which neglects 2 of the reactive abilities - Turn the Blade and Inescapable fury. With 18% chance to hit i didn`t get a proc almost 1 hour fighting 50s. In heroic dungeon, one proc in 20-30 mobs.
    mine procs all the time maybe just bad luck ? 30% + crit it should crit 1/3 times bro ..... but as you are 50 and i am not just as of yet ill believe you

As I mentioned, I really don't like the look of taking 51 points from a tree. Destroyer's Bearing and Flurry both look pretty talents on the tooltip but Paras need spend 19 points in their tree which do NOTHING for PvE DPS (Duality of Mind (5), Predictable Movements (1), Grace of the Five Rings (3), Wrist Strike (1), Serenity (3), Path of the Tempest (1), Run Like the Wind (3) and Touch of Tranquility (1).

Champions are clearly much more attracive in this sense as they are actually only wasting about 5/8 (Thunderous Kick, Battlefield Initimidation, Don't Make Me Angry and Ruthless Pursuit with the 3 in Bloodthirst being very questionable) to get there. However, my experience of Champions is that the reactives go awol in boss fights. You have lots of hit so don't miss, bloodthirst is obviously a total irrelevance and this hurts your dps output a lot compared with the burst we all love.

Mostly, I just want to be able to spend every single point in a way that will actually increase my dps, not make a trade off for dross to get something better on the other side. Wishful thinking I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Griefknight View Post
    Why would you get the 51point Paragon ability? It has a 4 second channel time, you might as well put more points into champion for Frenzied Strike.
    your bad why click on a link if you didnt read ? i said im not to sure about paragon yet ....

Quote Originally Posted by Achenar View Post
    As I mentioned, I really don't like the look of taking 51 points from a tree. Destroyer's Bearing and Flurry both look pretty talents on the tooltip but Paras need spend 19 points in their tree which do NOTHING for PvE DPS (Duality of Mind (5), Predictable Movements (1), Grace of the Five Rings (3), Wrist Strike (1), Serenity (3), Path of the Tempest (1), Run Like the Wind (3) and Touch of Tranquility (1).

Champions are clearly much more attracive in this sense as they are actually only wasting about 5/8 (Thunderous Kick, Battlefield Initimidation, Don't Make Me Angry and Ruthless Pursuit with the 3 in Bloodthirst being very questionable) to get there. However, my experience of Champions is that the reactives go awol in boss fights. You have lots of hit so don't miss, bloodthirst is obviously a total irrelevance and this hurts your dps output a lot compared with the burst we all love.

Mostly, I just want to be able to spend every single point in a way that will actually increase my dps, not make a trade off for dross to get something better on the other side. Wishful thinking I suspect.
    lol ? ? ? ? ? ? ? i link 3 specs and most of u morons just critisize other ones why ask for help if your just going to complain ?
    Last edited by blaz3d; 03-06-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Shadowlander

I am also worried about this issue... and not just in pve. Especially the 51 point builds. For example... I was playing around with making a warlord based 2h using build for pvp, then saw the 51 point ability and thought "well that'll be pretty awesome" so I looked at what I would have to pick up and realized it's a complete waste. +block chance... +power on block, increased threat.

It seems like pve dps builds will only be competitive with champion/paragon hybrids or maybe riftblade/paragon, or throwing in some beastmaster or whatever... the defensive souls don't have any place in a dps build.

Even in pvp the defensive builds are hard to incorporate into a non-shield using warrior because of the difficulty in avoiding shield related "talents" (what are we calling those in rift anyway?")

Quote Originally Posted by blaz3d View Post
    lol ? ? ? ? ? ? ? i link 3 specs and most of u morons just critisize other ones why ask for help if your just going to complain ?
    I'm happy to listen to suggestions, I pointed out some issues with the builds you suggested. This is how a constructive conversation works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsantilas View Post
    I am also worried about this issue... and not just in pve. Especially the 51 point builds. For example... I was playing around with making a warlord based 2h using build for pvp, then saw the 51 point ability and thought "well that'll be pretty awesome" so I looked at what I would have to pick up and realized it's a complete waste. +block chance... +power on block, increased threat.

It seems like pve dps builds will only be competitive with champion/paragon hybrids or maybe riftblade/paragon, or throwing in some beastmaster or whatever... the defensive souls don't have any place in a dps build.

Even in pvp the defensive builds are hard to incorporate into a non-shield using warrior because of the difficulty in avoiding shield related "talents" (what are we calling those in rift anyway?")
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...ktRsfz..xx0s0o there u go a decent warlord build for pvp lol'z be able 2 block with out a shield :O
    Last edited by blaz3d; 03-06-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Achenar View Post
    I'm happy to listen to suggestions, I pointed out some issues with the builds you suggested. This is how a constructive conversation works.
    you pointed out issues with 1 of the builds ...... srsly it wasnt constructive it was just oh look hes got a 51 pt talent spec..........

Telaran

Ive messed around with the 35champ 31para 0Riftblade build, and honestly it works pretty damned well, it hinges on the fact that shifting blades works with a 2h, and some pretty impressive numbers can go flying around

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...h0zz.Ect00VzcR

you use path of the wind as your main(ish) attack point builder (hits harder than power strike, and its ranged lol) and the follow up attacks hit pretty damned hard for low energy cost too.

keep up SLI and SB on CD, titan strike or Punshing blow between refreshes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast