+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Rift Barrier: Go Get Some!

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post
    Math and situations. There may very well be fights were being completely immune for 3 seconds is a huge benefit. Or it may be that all important fights like that are immune to our immunity.

We'll have to see, but the 51 point talent at least has the potential for being great (whereas some souls don't even seem to get that, lol).
    Very true!

As of now, some of the souls in the game simply couldn't stand on there own. I mean they could, but you would definitely be like, "I'm missing something."

I feel like the soul trees that weren't made to be ran alone, were made purely for support of other tree. But all in all this game is a blast.
    Apple 13" Aluminum Unibody MacBook/Apple 24" LED Cinima Display
    Mac OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard)/Window 7 Ultimate x64 (Boot Camp)
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2 x 2GB Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400M Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB
    Rift: Plans of Telara: Brooks-Ethian Rogue Riftstalker-Snarebrush

Quote Originally Posted by Absalon View Post
    If you go with 47 points in RS (getting everything but Rift Barrier), the only difference will be 4% less endurance and 2% less damage absorbed/20% less max absorb on Rift Guard.

Rift Guard will still absorb 33% of incoming damage up to 190% of your HP for 1 combo point (up to 230% at 5 combo points).

You could spend those 4 points in BD instead and get Combat Culmination, which has good synergy with Rift Scavenger. Unused combo points return up to 30 energy when the mob dies and increase Crit, Hit, Dodge and Parry by 3% each for 30 seconds. Plus you still have a point left over to put whereever you want.
    At that point I would go for the full 51 points to get Scatter the Shadows. Defer Death seems to require Scatter the Shadows to reach it's full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post
    I thought somewhere I saw some alpha raider dude mention you just took the damage at the end of the immunity, I thought. So yeah, it's 13 seconds, but gonna hurt I guess, as you can't absorb that damage, just delay the inevitable.

Haven't tested for myself, though, just second hand what I heard.
    I had read a post saying that Scatter the Shadows made you Immune to the deferred damage as long as you pop it right before Defer Death drops off. So I guess it's closer to 12 seconds of Immunity which is still amazing for a Raid Tank.

Of course we need to see for ourselves once people start getting their 51st point.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    At that point I would go for the full 51 points to get Scatter the Shadows. Defer Death seems to require Scatter the Shadows to reach it's full potential.
    Only if Scatter the Shadows actually blocks the deferred damage. I don't think it has been confirmed one way or another. If not, then it's just an extra 3 seconds until the damage hits. Still, it's a good "oh s**t" ability.

Soulwalker

IF thats how it really works, thats amazing, if it isn't how it works then 10 seconds of delay could situationally be nice.. if you're just about to die and you know it, but the boss is almost dead anyways you could delay just long enough to insure you do your job and keep everybody else alive, that 10 seconds might make all the difference. this thread is completely derailed though, its supposed to be about the 2 barriers not about the 2 immunities. IMHO each serve their purpose.. Rift Guard is more suitable to tanking while Rift Barrier could serve a great purpose in a PvP setting where you're using RS as a secondary class to support another, get all the skills that tick off of planes shifting and have up stalker phase with each planes shift increasing your survivability, your crit chance, your movespeed, and making you immune to snares and slows with the potential of raising your damage by 15% saving those combo points for something more needed like your other classes finisher moves to pump the damage out.

Quote Originally Posted by Absalon View Post
    Only if Scatter the Shadows actually blocks the deferred damage. I don't think it has been confirmed one way or another. If not, then it's just an extra 3 seconds until the damage hits. Still, it's a good "oh s**t" ability.

If it works with Defer Death it's a must have. If it doesn't it's still close to a must have because the ability to time a full immunity is huge for a Tank. Plus the ability to self cleanse is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanzu View Post
    this thread is completely derailed though, its supposed to be about the 2 barriers not about the 2 immunities. IMHO each serve their purpose.. .
    It's not really derailed. The point I was making is if it turns out the standard RS build is 51 points then you'll have Barrier.

This discussion seems centered on leveling specs for Tanking which isn't worth the effort IMO.

I agree. It's actually 13 seconds of Immunity as well. Defer Death plus Scatter the Shadows.

Those CD's plus the bonuses to Imp Guardian Phase and Imp Rift Guard are the things that tip the balance for me.
    Defer Death damage is NOT mitigated by Scatter the Shadows. So just 3 seconds of immunity.

The give/take between 51pt RS and NOT 51pt RS will be this:

More Health/Damage Reduction with 51pt RS
    More Avoidance/Threat with sub 51pt RS
    More Utility/Self-Healing with sub 51pt RS

Most builds with 51pt RS go 8/7 in other Souls, generally Bladedancer (for Avoidance/Threat), Bard (Health/Avoidance), and Ranger (Health/Damage Reduction). These aren't in even amounts so there is some give and take with even these choices.

Most builds with sub 51pt RS go 22 deep into Bladedancer (for Avoidance/Threat) or go varying amounts into Bard deeper than 8 (for more Utility/Self-healing).

Other variations include 5pt Saboteur for the 15% Dexterity, but I have seen very very few go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    Defer Death damage is NOT mitigated by Scatter the Shadows. So just 3 seconds of immunity.
    You've tested this? Seems odd that Scatter the Shadows would make you Immune to damage yet you still take damage. Seems like it would be difficult to code to have only the delayed damage effect you when under Scatter the Shadows.
    Last edited by mkultra55; 03-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.

You've tested this? Seems odd that Scatter the Shadows would make you Immune to damage yet you still take damage. Seems like it would be difficult to code to have only the delayed damage effect you when under Scatter the Shadows.
    I'm also looking badly for a credible answer to this question. I'm frantically leveling to test it myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4