+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rift Barrier: Go Get Some!

Quote Originally Posted by Punisheer View Post
    lol pull with cadence

Anyway both skills are important and a good tank know how to use both.
    lolwhut?

A good tank knows how to not waste 4 points into something they can get away with never needing to use and put those four points elsewhere.

Also riftstalkers get more endurance bonus from improved guadian phase with more points spent in the soul.
    Yep, good observation... your point, just tossing out random facts? :P
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    LOL

I like how you continued with the "buffalo wing" analogy.

I'm using "without doing anything extra" loosely. I have more than enough points to pick up EVERY single tank-related spell the RS tree. But then again, I don't put points into DPS talents. AT ALL! So that may explain why I'm so frugal with my points.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVpc..xIthz0zo

At most I can come up with 2 points that can be spent in a non-tanking skill, and nobody would skip SA anyway, so it's more like 1. Are you skipping Rift Scavenger? For someone who is so frugal with their points you seem awfully dead-set on not spending them as effectively as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post
    It is always inferior because there is never a time that Rift Barrier will absorb MORE than Rift Guard, unless you explicitly skip Rift Guard. That's what I mean by "inferior" - it is never a more powerful skill. I never said it had no purpose, I said it wasn't ever the better of the two skills, which is always true. I personally don't think it's worth spending the points on.
    Rift Barrier is always 60%, Rift Guard at 1-3 combo points is nowhere near that!

And let's say your absorption shield runs out, and your using your combo points to apply another attack. Why would you not plane shift to add another absorption shield?
    Apple 13" Aluminum Unibody MacBook/Apple 24" LED Cinima Display
    Mac OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard)/Window 7 Ultimate x64 (Boot Camp)
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2 x 2GB Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400M Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB
    Rift: Plans of Telara: Brooks-Ethian Rogue Riftstalker-Snarebrush

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVpc..xIthz0zo

At most I can come up with 2 points that can be spent in a non-tanking skill, and nobody would skip SA anyway, so it's more like 1. Are you skipping Rift Scavenger? For someone who is so frugal with their points you seem awfully dead-set on not spending them as effectively as possible.
    Your only at 23 man!

That's why its an issue for you. I have all the same skills as you. It's just order of preference, thats all
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2 x 2GB Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400M Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB

Rift Barrier is always 60%, Rift Guard at 1-3 combo points is nowhere near that!

And let's say your absorption shield runs out, and your using your combo points to apply another attack. Why would you not plane shift to add another absorption shield?
    Reread the talent points.

Rift Barrier (with Imp RB) is 15% absorption, with a cap of 60% of your maximum health before the shield runs out, and costs 4 talent points. Rift Guard (with Imp RG) is 17.5% absorption, with a cap of 62.5% of your maximum health. RG's total absorption and cap also increases by 0.5% and 5% per point in RS above 16, respectively. Imp RB is at 21 points in RS, you're already at 20%/75% on RB, and it just gets better from there.

I have also never noticed RG run out early due to incoming damage, but I refresh it pretty early anyway. What else are you spending your CPs on? Guarded Steel, False Blade, Rift Guard, that's it... just extra dps after that point. So what if you miss out on 250 damage?

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post
    Look, you dun goofed and people pointed out flaws in your brilliant plan. It's okay, you can just look at things how they are, no need to go to the "we don't know how things will be in endgame" that is obviously more about saving face than discussing honestly.

I mean, we could go into every thread and dismiss people with such inane arguments. And just because something is good in a raid, doesn't mean it justifies it being bad anytime else.

Wait, I got it: omgz stopp QQing about falling through the world, the game JUST released and we DON'T know if this bug will persist in endgame content!!!!

There, did I do that right?
    And popsicledeath what the hell are you talking about?

The simple fact that you can't clearly see the difference between the 2 talents says a share about you.

So before you come in here trying to have a d*ck slapping marathon, just go ahead and do an about-face......forward, MARCH!.

Your only at 23 man!

That's why its an issue for you. I have all the same skills as you. It's just order of preference, thats all
    Oh my God, I give up after this.

I was trying to show you that it's not possible to have a build, even one that focuses entirely on tanking talents, which picks up RB without taking points away from more useful tanking talents. The first time that you even have a choice to pick up RB without doing so is at 23 - RB is 4 talent points and there are at most 2 left over in my example.

Just... nevermind. Do whatever.

Reread the talent points.

Rift Barrier (with Imp RB) is 15% absorption, with a cap of 60% of your maximum health before the shield runs out, and costs 4 talent points. Rift Guard (with Imp RG) is 17.5% absorption, with a cap of 62.5% of your maximum health. RG's total absorption and cap also increases by 0.5% and 5% per point in RS above 16, respectively. Imp RB is at 21 points in RS, you're already at 20%/75% on RB, and it just gets better from there.

I have also never noticed RG run out early due to incoming damage, but I refresh it pretty early anyway. What else are you spending your CPs on? Guarded Steel, False Blade, Rift Guard, that's it... just extra dps after that point. So what if you miss out on 250 damage?
    True, my bad. I don't know what the hell was going threw may head when I typed that

As far as damage, thats not my job! LOL

Rift Chaser

Rift Barrier does not scale by putting points into RS. Imp Rift Guard does.

Rift Barrier absorbs 15% of incoming damage up to 60% of your total health over 15 seconds.

If you have 36 points in Riftstalker, Rift Guard (with Imp Rift Guard) absorbs 27.5% of incoming damage up to 135% of your total health over 30 seconds with 1 combo point.

Oh my God, I give up after this.

I was trying to show you that it's not possible to have a build, even one that focuses entirely on tanking talents, which picks up RB without taking points away from more useful tanking talents. The first time that you even have a choice to pick up RB without doing so is at 23 - RB is 4 talent points and there are at most 2 left over in my example.

Just... nevermind. Do whatever.
    Tank talents in other souls. I put all my talents in Bard and Blade Dance first, then built up Riftstalker.

Sorry for the confusion!

And popsicledeath what the hell are you talking about?

The simple fact that you can't clearly see the difference between the 2 talents says a share about you.

So before you come in here trying to have a d*ck slapping marathon, just go ahead and do an about-face......forward, MARCH!.
    This is what I'm talking about. You're new to a soul, get your panties all moist because you think you figured it out, and then get all uppity when other people point out they not only already figured out what you did in early beta, but also then figured out RG is not only better, but in many ways just as easy to get up before you take any damage.

I'm sorry that everyone wasn't floored by your amazing discoveries into the soul, but they aren't new, and your preferences may be a play style choice, but are far from something everyone will bow down to (especially after having tested it for ourselves and figured out something better).

The appropriate response would have been: Oh, thanks guys, didn't think of that, I suppose I can put those 4 points elsewhere.

Instead, you come with insults, casting about strawman 'but in raid content' type of arguments.

No thanks.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post
    This is what I'm talking about. You're new to a soul, get your panties all moist because you think you figured it out, and then get all uppity when other people point out they not only already figured out what you did in early beta, but also then figured out RG is not only better, but in many ways just as easy to get up before you take any damage.

I'm sorry that everyone wasn't floored by your amazing discoveries into the soul, but they aren't new, and your preferences may be a play style choice, but are far from something everyone will bow down to (especially after having tested it for ourselves and figured out something better).

The appropriate response would have been: Oh, thanks guys, didn't think of that, I suppose I can put those 4 points elsewhere.

Instead, you come with insults, casting about strawman 'but in raid content' type of arguments.

No thanks.
    Moist panties?!?

Look pops, I'm an adult and I'm damn sure not new to this soul. I've stated over and over I'm not the guy to tell people how to play this game. I'm not try look for anyones approval, just clearing the air of something that seem to be clearly misunderstood.

My post was regarding people clearly not understanding what rift barriers purpose it, add an absorp shield after plane shifting. And yes, rift guard trumps it in number, but why would you not have rift barrier as well if you have the points?
    Last edited by Brooks; 03-01-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanTheBlack View Post
    It is not inferior. The planar shift barrier is worthwhile because it keeps you alive while you build up combo points on the pull to use Rift Guard.
    ^^ what he said

Rift Chaser

My post was regarding people clearly not understanding what rift barriers purpose it, add an absorp shield after plane shifting. And yes, rift guard trumps it in number, but why would you not have rift barrier as well if you have the points?
    Because Imp Rift Guard makes it completely unnecessary. Outside of the first couple seconds of the fight, you are going to have Rift Guard up all the time. As long as Rift Guard is up, Rift Barrier is useless.

The only benefit you get from putting those points there is the extra 4% endurance from Guardian Phase. There are better ways to spend those points.

Without coming off as pompus and "leet," I would like to enlighten the people who are downplay an ability thats is very useful and has a very distinct situational-purpose.

Rift Barrier adds an absorption shield that last 15 seconds after you use ANY plane shift ability, while Rift Guard adds an absorption through combo points.

So instead of alway having to use combo point to activate Rift Guard, having Rift Barrier allows you to use Shadow Blitz and Shadow Stalk to add a shield without doing anything extra. It like getting and extra buffalo wing from *insert your favorite wing place here*.

Furthermore, Riftstalkers should being using Shadow Blitz and Shadow Stalk/Rift Disturbance throughout the fight to distribute threat and AOE damage anyways.

In the end, like Rift Guard, Rift Barrier help mitigates damage.......you're a tank.....go get some! Who knows, it may save your butt more times than not

Well Rift Guard grants more than 15% damage mitigation. it's actually anywhere between 15% and 35% depending on spec.

Where Rift Barrier comes in handy, is granting you a few extra seconds to get up your Rift Guard while tanking. (Unless you fall through the world while shifting)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast