+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue Talk

Soulwalker

Default Rogue Talk

hey Guys, wanted to run this by those who's theorycrafting skills are more refined than mine :P
    Every MMO i've played, I've had a cloaked class to play. I've been a forum stalker for weeks, haven't really said much but i wanted to get your take on the 'issues' I see with the current rogue, and see if anybody has similar thoughts to work from!

The aggro table for pulling cloaked rogues, I find to be a bit much. The bonus to being a cloaked combat class is the ability to cloak and stealth around. Granted in BETA I got my assassin up to 30s.. and right now she's mid 20's.. so I'm not sure how it is in endgame. But right now it seems a bit much. Having to use a distraction everytime you come close to a target, and if it misses (Which is fairly often for me unfortuantely) you're pulled.

Ranged assassin? One of my favorite cloaked combat classes was "Spy" In Star Wars Galaxies. I'm sure not many have played that particular game lol... But spy was setup really nicely. Did INSANE DoT and Spike damage... but when he's out of cloak.. he's screwed. So it took a lot of strategy and knowledge of the class to remain safe. Think that is viable with assassin/MM build? I know there is no ranged stealth opener... but Otherwise how would that work?

Last but not least. Rogue Spike Damage, we can't sustain long fights. Aside from Bard we really have no support or healing functions So when it comes to full combat rogues it seems with a few misses, blocks, or decent mitigation, we're screwed under all circumstances otherwise. And with our combat cloak having a 2minute cooldown (always thought that was a bit much for cloaked combatants) we really don't have much to work from in "OH ****" moments.

Otherwise I think the rogue class is fantastic. It's very difficult to make a cloaked class viable and not overpowered, and I think Trion has done an excellent job at that. Again, I just wanted to get other people's takes on my qualms with the game and see if there is anything maybe I can do to alleviate my 'problems' or if there are others will similar issues maybe Trion can work from them Thanks Guys!!

Soooo Pick the souls that suit your playstyle? I can think of the three souls for you right now but i will let you figure it out.
    Oh and just like you talk about the Spy, some rogue souls need to use that hit and run tactic.

dmv

Ehm, bard is support, and gives decent survivability at a low level(up to the 30 bracket). If your looking for survivability 5pt into bladedancer for dodge, and get its 0 pt ability. Or deep spec into NB for some great survivability skills.
    IF your looking for spike dmg, saboteurs your best bet.
    Keep in mind, Trion is doing a decent job at keeping classes balanced, so if your looking to pop out of stealth and completely WTFBBQPWN people, then you may be out of luck, unless its a purely dmg spec'd clothie.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthis View Post
    hey Guys, wanted to run this by those who's theorycrafting skills are more refined than mine :P
    Every MMO i've played, I've had a cloaked class to play. I've been a forum stalker for weeks, haven't really said much but i wanted to get your take on the 'issues' I see with the current rogue, and see if anybody has similar thoughts to work from!

The aggro table for pulling cloaked rogues, I find to be a bit much. The bonus to being a cloaked combat class is the ability to cloak and stealth around. Granted in BETA I got my assassin up to 30s.. and right now she's mid 20's.. so I'm not sure how it is in endgame. But right now it seems a bit much. Having to use a distraction everytime you come close to a target, and if it misses (Which is fairly often for me unfortuantely) you're pulled.

Ranged assassin? One of my favorite cloaked combat classes was "Spy" In Star Wars Galaxies. I'm sure not many have played that particular game lol... But spy was setup really nicely. Did INSANE DoT and Spike damage... but when he's out of cloak.. he's screwed. So it took a lot of strategy and knowledge of the class to remain safe. Think that is viable with assassin/MM build? I know there is no ranged stealth opener... but Otherwise how would that work?

Last but not least. Rogue Spike Damage, we can't sustain long fights. Aside from Bard we really have no support or healing functions So when it comes to full combat rogues it seems with a few misses, blocks, or decent mitigation, we're screwed under all circumstances otherwise. And with our combat cloak having a 2minute cooldown (always thought that was a bit much for cloaked combatants) we really don't have much to work from in "OH ****" moments.

Otherwise I think the rogue class is fantastic. It's very difficult to make a cloaked class viable and not overpowered, and I think Trion has done an excellent job at that. Again, I just wanted to get other people's takes on my qualms with the game and see if there is anything maybe I can do to alleviate my 'problems' or if there are others will similar issues maybe Trion can work from them Thanks Guys!!

Try using Assassin / Nightblade.

Put 8 points into nightblade, and max Assassin out.
    8 Points into Nightblade gives you Lost Hope, which is a ranged Sap. So you can sap mobs that you want to run by, from a safe distance.

It's quite fun.

You may also enjoy the Sabo/Nightblade Combo.

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Khroul View Post
    Try using Assassin / Nightblade.

Put 8 points into nightblade, and max Assassin out.
    8 Points into Nightblade gives you Lost Hope, which is a ranged Sap. So you can sap mobs that you want to run by, from a safe distance.

It's quite fun.

You may also enjoy the Sabo/Nightblade Combo.
    NB gets no love as a main class. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dmv View Post
    NB gets no love as a main class. lol
    Well

I can say at level 33, when I jump out of stealth as full NB/***, it takes me about 2-3 seconds longer to kill a mob, than it does when I'm full Assassin/NB, which takes about 2-3 seconds longer than it takes to kill something as RS/Sin

I've seen videos of people wrecking face as Nightblades, I'm pretty sure at level 50 they're pretty nuts.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by dmv View Post
    Ehm, bard is support, and gives decent survivability at a low level(up to the 30 bracket). If your looking for survivability 5pt into bladedancer for dodge, and get its 0 pt ability. Or deep spec into NB for some great survivability skills.
    IF your looking for spike dmg, saboteurs your best bet.
    Keep in mind, Trion is doing a decent job at keeping classes balanced, so if your looking to pop out of stealth and completely WTFBBQPWN people, then you may be out of luck, unless its a purely dmg spec'd clothie.
    yea I guess I'm asking for too much lol. I don't have my spec right now.. I wish I could remember it lol. But I've got my main as assassin, then Bladedancer..and my third is Nightblade.
    And I'm aware bard is support, I mentioned that in my long *** original post. I guess all I'm saying is the assassin, main class should probably having a faster CD on the combat cloak. Again PLEASE don't think i'm bagging on Trion, or telling you how rogue SHOULD be. Far from it... I'm trying to explain my play style, and see if I can get some help theorycrafting on how to get there . What you said about Trion keeping classes balanced, I personally think 'decent' is an understatement. I've only done a few BETA's in my life but the few rounds I did in Rift, plus the headstart... I can't think of an MMO that was so well balanced from the get go!

So my playstyle is Pop from cloak, find the healer WTFPWN the healer Back in cloak and go hunt for the next support class. Again, I haven't done any endgame playing, or pvping in Rift as of yet, so if this is a playstyle that just wouldn't work in this game I'm fine with that. But with all the different combinations of souls I would think SOMETHING would get close Thanks guys!

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Khroul View Post
    Well

I can say at level 33, when I jump out of stealth as full NB/***, it takes me about 2-3 seconds longer to kill a mob, than it does when I'm full Assassin/NB, which takes about 2-3 seconds longer than it takes to kill something as RS/Sin

I've seen videos of people wrecking face as Nightblades, I'm pretty sure at level 50 they're pretty nuts.
    I think NB can best be described as a delayed burst. So yeah, in pve you'll take longer to kill things, but in pvp you can pretty much make any mage reroll their class.

+ Reply to Thread