+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Autoattack damage and scaling

Soulwalker

Default Autoattack damage and scaling

I am new to the game (didn't play beta) and have a few questions about the game mechanics, numbers mostly.

It seems to me that autoattack damage is really minor, minor enough for a marksman to just run around spamming skills and not getting any autoattacks off and not take a big damage hit.
    This gives me the small hope that Marksman can be a decent main soul without having a Ranger pet.
    Does anyone know or have parsed how high % the autoattack is?

Been wondering about scaling as well. I see bards have a combo finisher heal, does this ability scale with anything? Considering numbers will continue to inflate with gear, will it be less and less useful?

Shadowlander

autoattack is pretty crap alright, but having pet is mostly due to laziness of most people - whats the point in running around like a spastic if you can just spawn a pet, take bard's heal and tank 4-6 mobs of your own level... Its up to you of course to decide which way you want to play - run around and jump-shoot or just stand in place and kill fast...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sigtran View Post
    autoattack is pretty crap alright, but having pet is mostly due to laziness of most people - whats the point in running around like a spastic if you can just spawn a pet, take bard's heal and tank 4-6 mobs of your own level... Its up to you of course to decide which way you want to play - run around and jump-shoot or just stand in place and kill fast...
    Thank you for answering, thought I think you might have missed the questions in the op a bit.
    It's not about autoattack being 'bad' or not. Low damage on autoattack just gives you more options (ie. using builds that don't use autoattack at all)

Or are you in fact saying that standing still and using a pet is faster then being more mobile and using for instance poisons instead of one? Or maybe even the 15% dmg to combo builders and finishers from Nightblade?

Really not concerned about convenience. I don't really play to be lazy, I like to have to actively play and use a lot of different buttons, not really into a send pet->this shot x5->finisher->repeat playstyle, at least not if there are options that dish out as much dmg and keeps me on my toes at the same time.
    Last edited by Jihaw; 03-01-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Shadowlander

yeah, soz. What i meant to say is that a pet does more damage then autoattack and as a MM/ranger/bard you will still get a few autoattacks in, depending on what you are shooting from(shooting speed of 2.6 should give u extra autoattack between the inst casts). Pet is also there to keep at least one mob away from you, so you can shoot it from 3M+ and not have to run away to perform an MM finisher. My autoattacks were crap in betta on every class, except for melee rogue... so yeah, if you want you can jump-shoot using only your swift-shot & rapid fire shot (you wont be able to do much more when soloing)... but imho you shouldnt do it... ull have too many "oh F*** moments"
    Last edited by Sigtran; 03-01-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Shadowlander

ah.. and forgot to add... i think youll have to be far from a mob, so it cant hit you, else jumping doesnt work either - they can melee hit from a distance... which really bugged me when i started...

Shadowlander

And to finish, I think attack power doesnt scale your autoattack, so only dex scales it and the weapon damage (?? anything else).
    P.S. need to allow make changes on the forum for more then a minute.

+ Reply to Thread