+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help save my rogue before I rage quit and delete it

Rift Chaser

Default Help save my rogue before I rage quit and delete it

I initially started by picking the ranger soul with sabatour and marksman souls. My issue is the mechanics of how rangers work. If a mob closes to melee you can not use your bow, which is kind of unfair since clerics and mages are not forced to melee with their staves. I usually do ok until I get a bad pull and multiple mobs come. If the threat transfer power is up I can usually transfer the threat back to the rhino pet but if the power isnt up I am pretty much dead if I cant kill the original target fast before the add kills me.

My next issue is with the wolf pet it doesnt hold aggro for ****, so I dont even summon it and I went back to the rhino pet despite it being lower. I just made it to 13 and before I call it quits on the rogue I wanted to know will this get easier as a ranger? And if it does not then what souls can I get at 13 that would be better as a second role. I do not mind being in melee but I want to survive. Being a ranger sucks with no melee attacks. I was thinking of switching out the souls and going for assassin and/or maybe rift stalker. My concern is just whether I can stay alive or not in melee if I choose to go that route instead of range.

wth is this?

you cant be serious right? ranger cant shoot while at toe to toe? try moving? I can even do finishing moves in one little jump backwards out of range geeee..

No offence but that whole two paragraphs sound very troll like.. for what reason no idea. If your genuine then I dont know what to say apart from it sounds like your standing still everytime you engage a mob.

Please, please say you are kidding.

They have abilities that can be used at melee range. Read tooltips.

Wolf pet does not taunt. Your boar (rhino) does. Read tooltips.
    t(-_-t)

You can use the mouse AND the keyboard at the same time...
    Rock is overpowered.
    Paper is fine.
    -Scissors -

Healinator,

You have to move as a Marksmen or Ranger, there is no way around it. Thats why they have so many speed increase abilities. So get very familiar with your keyboard and mouse hand-eye coordination.

Also, as Omnio sad, READ YOUR TOOL TIP! It give you alot of useful information about your abilities. Both hunter souls have several "melee-range" bow attack. Play around with it man and have some fun.

Enjoy the game!
    Apple 13" Aluminum Unibody MacBook/Apple 24" LED Cinima Display
    Mac OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard)/Window 7 Ultimate x64 (Boot Camp)
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2 x 2GB Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400M Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB
    Rift: Plans of Telara: Brooks-Ethian Rogue Riftstalker-Snarebrush

I don't understand what your having trouble with here. You have more then enough knockback, snares, and speed boosts to stay away from both mobs and players. If something gets to you, you did something wrong. Also the wolf is not FOR holding aggro....thats probably why its not doing what you want it do do. If your investing alot of points into ranger then always go for the boar. It WILL keep aggro for you.

If you are continuously finding yourself getting attacked(which you shouldn't) then go hybrid BD or Bard then.

~Rai

Rift Disciple

ranger is pretty over powered at that level you can fight at least 4 even cons with no effort.

Soulwalker

Having ranger as one of your souls pretty much turns on 'Easy Mode', imo. The pet (The boar whos primary attack generates extra threat) holds agro easy enough. You get a knockback shot that is used in melee range, and you can literally just walk backwards and keep shooting.
    If you have sab, consider throwing down a sticky bomb for an 8 second AOE snare, and sick your pet on the new target. Focus on and assist the boar to make sure you're damaging the mob that your pet is holding agro on. Use your threat dump skill to increase the agro being generated by your pet.

Soulwalker

Very important thing here... make sure you train your skills. It sounds like you might have outlevelled the boar pet skill you have based on the OP, the basic razorbeast should level with you to about 30 as long as you keep the skill trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Teannin View Post
    Very important thing here... make sure you train your skills. It sounds like you might have outlevelled the boar pet skill you have based on the OP, the basic razorbeast should level with you to about 30 as long as you keep the skill trained.
    Very good point Teannin!

During my first Rift Beta I forgot to train my skills. It makes a WORLD of diference!
    Apple 13" Aluminum Unibody MacBook/Apple 24" LED Cinima Display
    Mac OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard)/Window 7 Ultimate x64 (Boot Camp)
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2 x 2GB Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400M Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB
    Rift: Plans of Telara: Brooks-Ethian Rogue Riftstalker-Snarebrush

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Healinator View Post
    I initially started by picking the ranger soul with sabatour and marksman souls. My issue is the mechanics of how rangers work. If a mob closes to melee you can not use your bow, which is kind of unfair since clerics and mages are not forced to melee with their staves. I usually do ok until I get a bad pull and multiple mobs come. If the threat transfer power is up I can usually transfer the threat back to the rhino pet but if the power isnt up I am pretty much dead if I cant kill the original target fast before the add kills me.

My next issue is with the wolf pet it doesnt hold aggro for ****, so I dont even summon it and I went back to the rhino pet despite it being lower. I just made it to 13 and before I call it quits on the rogue I wanted to know will this get easier as a ranger? And if it does not then what souls can I get at 13 that would be better as a second role. I do not mind being in melee but I want to survive. Being a ranger sucks with no melee attacks. I was thinking of switching out the souls and going for assassin and/or maybe rift stalker. My concern is just whether I can stay alive or not in melee if I choose to go that route instead of range.
    The wolf pet isn't meant to hold agro. It is a dps pet. As someone else said, make sure you are buying new ranks of your skills at the rogue trainer. This makes a huge difference.

Other than that, you need to learn to control your pet. Don't leave him on defensive. Put him on passive and bind a key to pet attack. If you end up fighting more than one mob and one is attacking you, target it and send your pet to attack to take the agro off you.

Does Saboteur have a minimum range? Not sure. But you might want to pick at least 1 melee soul instead of 3 ranged souls. That way when you are in melee range you can switch to solid melee attacks. It's all about figuring out how you want to play and finding the best combination of souls/talents to achieve it.

Riftstalker has a lot of good defensive abilities, but I would recommend instead, if you want to be primarly ranged, that you go with Bladedancer. Without any points in the soul, you get Side Steps, which gives you 50% dodge for 15 seconds. And if you put some points into it, you can get some multi-mob attacks that will help if you pull too many. Hit Side Steps, then spam Twin Strike to 5 combo points and then Compound Attack to finish.

Shadowlander

this must be a troll :P
    I use MM/Ranger/Bard with 8 points in the bard in heal and i can tank at least 4 mobs without me getting down to 70% of my life... and obviously jump back to do an inst finisher LOL

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Healinator View Post

Couple of things that might have already been mentioned:

1) Use the boar pet to hold agro. Change the key mapping for pet attack to an easier to reach button like ` and spam it when you get multiples. Use the pet heal on multi pulls it is actually quite strong but does not last long.

2) Dont be afraid to put enough points into Assassin or Nightblade to get the finisher and possibly the poison. Both will help a lot in melee range. You should have no issue meleeing an add quickly. The nightblade finisher actually hits almost as hard as the ranger finisher and is melee range. There are times when standing at range is very difficult without drawing adds so supplement those skills.

3) You can have multiple roles. Use them and realize that not every one has to be a perfect min/max layout. Ranger/Marksman builds are very redundant. Hold off on Marksman until you have extra skill points later.

-Vanven

Shadowlander

Couple Tips...
    #1 never solo with the wolf pet
    #2 don't get to crazy with making sure you have every active ability your class can get(meaning, don't get 25 different attack skills that fill up 3 bars when you can just get a couple good ones that fill up half a bar and then spend the rest of your points on some passive skills that boost those attack skills)

Also, with those 3, at lvl 20 for example, this is what i personally would go for...
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MTNf.V0M.VM.xhk0M

Its fine, you are you fking bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast