+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is there some random element to Rifts, or do Bards just suck for them?

Plane Walker

Default Is there some random element to Rifts, or do Bards just suck for them?

I spent a considerable amount of time tonight doing Rifts. I'm a level 28 Bard/Riftstalker/Nightblade (24/5/8) spec) and was in Stonefield for the better part of a few hours and was able to participate in about 14-16 Rift events (even opening the Rift twice myself). My goal was to try and maintain Gold level participation. All in all I feel like my character sucked and am very disappointed in my Bard when it comes to Rifts.

I was often able to get into the Gold Participation level, but found it difficult to maintain and I would quickly drop out of it. I tried various methods of gaining participation points. I tried the spam motifs method. I tried to alternate cadence and Power Chord. I tried Healing (Cadence x 2 followed by Coda of Restoration). I found the healing method to be least effective, followed by the Cadence/Power Chord combo.

What worked best was to attack a Rift mob with cadence twice, then a finisher, then cadence x 2 again and a finisher, then spam motifs. The two series of attacks first seemed to get the participation bar high enough into silver from the damage dealt that the motifs would be able to push it into gold. The problem with this method is that many, if not most, mobs die to quickly thus I am unable to complete the necessary attacks to build participation points.

All in all it was a total bust. I didn't get a single Sourceshard (what I was after) for all my efforts. I got about 4-5 green equipment items, 5-7 lesser planar essences, 4-6 artifacts, and about 1,100 planarite.

Some peculiar things I noticed. If I "tagged" a Rift mob first before another player, my participation points jumped up significantly faster. If the mob did damage to me, my participation points skyrocketed. After the Rift was sealed, I noticed some players had a beam of light thingy come down from above onto them. I'm not sure what this signifies or means, but it never happened to me. My guess is these players were the top participation earners for the Rift and received some special reward.

Anyway, I'm ready to shelve my Bard when it comes to Rifts. It seems like a totally useless class/spec for Rifts and earning participation points. You do too little damage to compete with the pure damage classes, especially the burst damage classes who seem to reign supreme in Rifts since the non-elite mobs die so fast. Also, if my theory is correct about "tagging' mobs and receiving damage, this would mean tank-type classes could rack up huge participation points just for taking a beating and taunting mobs onto them. And finally, most players don't seem to take much damage during Rift events so healing doesn't seem to earn many participation points.

I pretty much resigned to making a DPS spec for Rifts. What is a good melee rogue DPS spec for burst damage?

Rat

I am a level 24 in Stonefield and have been swapping from my solo Nightblade/Assassin role into Bard whenever I join a Rift. Using Cadence for combo points and cycling through the debuff and healing codas while keeping motifs active gets me at least 1/3 more rewards than the dps build. I don't check the leaderboard thing much, but if I've been there from the beginning it's usually around the top. Not sure what's hapenning with you.
    Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker.
    J.R.R. Tolkien

haha

I'm a DPS who goes bard for rifts

blue shards as MM - 1
    blue shards as Bard - 15+
    CPU: Core i7 3.06GHz Quad-Core ~ MB: Asus Rampage III Formula ~ RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333 24GB(6x4GB)
    Monitor: Acer 21.5" LCD/LED x2 ~ GPU: XFX Radeon 5770x2 CrossfireX ~ Boot: Crucial C300 SSD Sata III 64GB
    MM/Rngr/RftStlkr - Pew Pew Run Port

Telaran

participation is just based on activity and not actual usefulness of your abilities.

Cadence counts the same as an instant cast (such as power chord), but since its channeled it means you're getting less contribution from it then you would if you were just casting quickshot or spamming motifs (which dont count until you damage something sometimes).

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Orishas View Post
    participation is just based on activity and not actual usefulness of your abilities.

Cadence counts the same as an instant cast (such as power chord), but since its channeled it means you're getting less contribution from it then you would if you were just casting quickshot or spamming motifs (which dont count until you damage something sometimes).
    I've tried the "spam motifs after tagging a rift mob" method and it doesn't seem to work well for building participation points quickly. This is problematic during the early stages of a rift where the non-elite mobs will die very quickly.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by deadairrt View Post
    haha

I'm a DPS who goes bard for rifts

blue shards as MM - 1
    blue shards as Bard - 15+
    Between the starter zone (Freemarch) and the zone I am currently in (Stonefield) I have participated in probably close to 50+ rift events and in total have received 5 blue shards (2 from Freemarch rifts and 3 in Stonefield rifts).

Soulwalker

Have you tried doing the AoE attack. Cast Riff to get ur 5 points and then aoe to get more damage from mutliple targets. Have not worked on getting Gold or silver standings but will try and see what happens.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Riddlebox View Post
    Have you tried doing the AoE attack. Cast Riff to get ur 5 points and then aoe to get more damage from mutliple targets. Have not worked on getting Gold or silver standings but will try and see what happens.
    Yes I have tried that and it also doesn't seem to produce much in the way of participation points. Most non-elite mobs die to quickly for the time it takes to do cadence x 2 then a Coda of Fury. And the mobs tend to spawn and spread out in the rift area.

My Bard does great in rifts. The beam of light thing is probably a player leveling. About it just being how many buttons you push; that really doesn't sound like something the developers would be dumb enough to do, it really makes no sense. I can't imagine it not taking into account how much you are actually helping (be it buffs, heals, damage or whatever). Being there from the very start of one helps, or even being the one who opens the rift really helps. I can't wait to open a rift in enemy territory, sit back with my bow and see the chaos.

Qan

The beam of light is someone activating their soul quest that allows them to learn a new soul.
    The ball of light that makes a ding sound and lands on your head means that you participated enough to get extra items, be it extra planarite, planar consumables, or even sourceshards.

I play a Bard almost exclusively and I'd agree that maintaining a Gold level can be challenging at times but it shouldn't be as hard as you describe. Cadence twice is never good, use Power Chord after Cadence then decide what finisher to use. If everyone is topped off use Coda of Fury for packs or Coda of Wrath for single target. If a few people are getting hurt use Coda of Restoration. Keep your motifs up every 30 secs, don't spam them.

Most of this is common sense stuff. Nightblade has some excellent tree and root abilities for a secondary or tertiary tree.
    15% increased combo point generating ability damage
    9% increased non-physical ability damage
    15% increased finisher damage

Not to mention you get stealth and a 20 meter CC that lasts 45 seconds. I find this ability extremely useful for collection quests where you don't want to waste time killing mobs or when coupled with kill quests that you've already reached the quota for.
    Last edited by Qan; 03-01-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Qan

Tip: Using the planar power that increases your damage done by 100% and reduces damage received by 75% (I think the numbers are right) shoots you way up into Gold. You can buy it from planar vendors for 200 planarite.

As a bard, do not just spam like an idiot. If the people aren't injured, then you will not receive credit for heals. You have to actually pay attention to peoples health. On bosses that do AOE damage you will do much better due to HOT on friendly units. On bosses that spawn a lot of adds, AOE debuffs and AOE damage will help you.

There is no spam this for instant gold. You actually have to be smart about it.
    CPU: Core i7 3.06GHz Quad-Core ~ MB: Asus Rampage III Formula ~ RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333 24GB(6x4GB)
    Monitor: Acer 21.5" LCD/LED x2 ~ GPU: XFX Radeon 5770x2 CrossfireX ~ Boot: Crucial C300 SSD Sata III 64GB
    MM/Rngr/RftStlkr - Pew Pew Run Port

RIFT Guide Writer

To continue the constructive criticism above, in Rift stages where everything is dying too fast to Cadence 2x - don't. Use something that's fast e.g. Power Chord + Quick Shot + Finisher to put some damage out there as best you can.

Don't bother putting up motifs in a gankfest of normal mobs. Just kill and save the Motifs for the hard stuff imo.

Soulwalker

Default I felt this way too, things i noticed.

Getting the gold rewards or silver rewards(only takes silver to get source shards on major rifts) is totally about Actions per minute, not how much damage, not how much healing, or if you even hit the damn mob. Proof of this is after being frustrated by trying to do healing buffing and getting no where I just started spamming rank 1 Quick shot(missed more than it hit) from ranger and managed to pull shards from next 6 rifts.

So i went back to bard and tried cadence once, followed by power chord then coda of fury, then buffs from motifs. I did ok got shards a couple times, then switched to a combo of power chord, fury,quick shot and did better. I only do cadence when its absolutely needed. also if you are working on the mob the rest of your group is on I seemed(no way to really tell from combat logs on contribution for the 5 rifts I picked some one from group and assisted them) to get better results.

By doing this I managed to have all of the planar gear and 9 extra source shards by the time I left silver wood.

Solution: Allow channeled skills to count as action on a per tick basis

Wardyn

Sonatta

It is tempting to do whatever tasks nets the best loot result, but I find I'd rather contribute the "proper way". Having said that, I did experiment to figure out what works best. I found that spamming motifs did nothing at all unless I started with an ability that damaged an NPC or healed a player. Once I did that, spamming the motifs seemed to work well.

I wish they updated the algorithm so that we'd get full credit for playing correctly/optimally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast