+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Marsksman Built?

Default Good Marsksman Built?

Looking for a good Marksman Ranged Build.

Preferably not picking up ranger, (don't want to feel under pressure to use a pet, reason I never had a hunter main in WoW) but having something of equal value.
    Last edited by Semirhage; 02-28-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Semirhage View Post
    Looking for a good Marksman Ranged Build.

Preferably not picking up ranger, (don't want to feel under pressure to use a pet, reason I never had a hunter main in WoW) but having something of equal value.
    This is not WoW, so lose the hunter bias.

A good MM build will work in Ranger abilities.. You want to skip the pet, go ahead.. But then enjoy gimping yourself

Gox
    Champion

depends what you want.

Do you want perma stealth for pvp? Or is this a pve/group pvp build?

38mm/18sin/10nb is a pretty solid cookiecutter no pet MM build for dps.

So far im loving MM/NB/x

Atleast 12-14 in NB for Dark Malady, and I usually go sin for my third just for the poison enchant.

Default Heya

I'm currently a level 26 marksman/assassin/ranger with 0 points in ranger. You still get the pet who can tank mobs and help you level a lot easier since some of your marksman abilities require you to stand still unless you use higher ranked cooldown abilities. Helps having him tank too if you plan on using pedastals at all. Easy to summon, actually stops attacking your target and runs back to you when you static shot so it doesn't break the root, and never have to feed it. It's no encumberance at all I think to have the pet. It's more like a friend who always tanks for you and when he dies you just summon again at no cost aside from the 5-8 second resummon. When you attack something, he will attack it and generally hold the threat. When you tell him to stay, he will stay. Hardest part is calling him back to you when he's fighting so you just have to spam the follow button.

Hope that info helped. You can always do the Soul Quests to get the soul of what you want to change out. Pretty easy quest, I've done all the rogue soul quests so I can swap out anytime I want. (Well, if i got the coin, cost to re-soul)

Telaran

personally, I think marksman got gimped a bit too hard with the current patch... I agree that before we could pretty much three shot anything, but now all of your shots are decreased damage wise... I switched to Ranger and haven't looked back yet... Yes, some of the ranger shots got gibbed as well, but Ranger is, IMO, your best bet for pure ranged physical damage to combo with MM for rogues.

something like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ox0b.VMcbuczoz may fit the bill... and yeah, this isn't really optimized for end game raid use, just something I threw together quick for leveling and instancing.

You get some very nice survivability/AoE use off Ranger, as well as ranger being (technically) the only other truly ranged soul option for rogues...

Quote Originally Posted by Lysico View Post
    This is not WoW, so lose the hunter bias.

A good MM build will work in Ranger abilities.. You want to skip the pet, go ahead.. But then enjoy gimping yourself
    My hunter bias is that without a pet I am somewhat gimped.. Therefore it seems logical to me that if there is no -equal- alternative to having a pet in a pure ranged DPS build then we are infact in the same situation as world of warcraft.

If not then please explain why it is not so.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Semirhage View Post
    My hunter bias is that without a pet I am somewhat gimped.. Therefore it seems logical to me that if there is no -equal- alternative to having a pet in a pure ranged DPS build then we are infact in the same situation as world of warcraft.

If not then please explain why it is not so.
    MM has soul talents and abilities to increase movement speed so you can kite easier... but for solo/questing I use Ranger for the pet and MM in groups and PvP.

Shadowlander

Honestly 6points in the ranger soul is a must have for that awesome snare.
    Server: Ashstone PVP
    lvl 29 Dwarf Rogue

Soulwalker

I went with marks/assassin/rift build and I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't really want a pet (did that for many years in another game ), and wanted more of a pure archer feel. It works great but i find myself kiting alot, and if there isnt room to kite i have some points placed in assassin so that i can hold my own in melee range if need be. Went riftstalker strickley for Shadow Shift and that with the movement abilities from MM its a very active build.

+ Reply to Thread