+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Expose Weakness" too weak / worthless?

Telaran

Thumbs down "Expose Weakness" too weak / worthless?

I'm really messing around with builds, still. But somehow Expose Weakness doenst make so much sense to me at all.

A simple Backstab does around 200 when it crits atm. It costs 30 energy

Expose Weakness adds +9 dmg / attack or "spell" *20 = 180. It costs 20 energy

Why the hell should I even use it?

I have a nice comparison: The warlock got his dot, and he fires up a spell, which when skilled re-applies the dot-timer to the beginning.

This must be possible for a "future upgrade" in the Assassin-Soul.

It doesn't make much sense to use this ability imho.

Soulwalker

Read the tooltip to the skill. It adds 8 damage to a lot more than just your next attack and is vital to maintain on your target unless you're lazy and want to hit like a wet noodle.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Forlani View Post
    Read the tooltip to the skill. It adds 8 damage to a lot more than just your next attack and is vital to maintain on your target unless you're lazy and want to hit like a wet noodle.
    It adds exactly [whatever] dmg to a attack, or a dot or a bleed. 20 stacks = 20* [whatever] dmg

and it triggers a GCD which is extremely bad in pvp.

OFC you can apply it BEFORE you enter combat. but WHEN IN combat its just plane nonsense
    Last edited by Ithy_; 02-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ithy_ View Post
    A simple Backstab does around 200 when it crits atm. It costs 30 energy

Expose Weakness adds +9 dmg / attack or "spell" *20 = 180. It costs 20 energy

Why the hell should I even use it?
    You answered your own question. Even with your own numbers, Backstab does 6.66 DPE and EW does 9 DPE, and that's assuming 1) a 100% crit chance and 2) you either use EW mid-battle or use it at the beginning and then *instantly* use an opener, somehow ignoring the GCD.

More realistically, in PvE, you can use EW from stealth, wait for the GCD plus one more second or so, by which time the 20 energy it cost you has regenerated, and then you open. That gives EW an effective cost of 0, and an infinitely high DPE.

Soulwalker

So it does 8 damage for 20 bleed ticks/attacks. What's 8*20? Seems like a perfectly fine energy investment to me. It may be 8 damage at your level, but it's higher at mine and will continue to scale. Use it or not, it's up to you, but I guarantee going to to toe with a mirror the one who uses expose will win.

Most info is relative to your level.

The skill itself Expose Weakness only lasts 20 seconds (if that), and only adds 9 dmg to each physical attack and bleeds (1 bleed, Puncture unless you have JS and Impale) up to 20 times for 20 seconds.

So realistically, in a perfect scenario, you're 2 seconds down (18) by the time you get a PS/Assassinate off, Global Cool Down is 1.5sec, you Puncture for bleed (16) (bleeds every 2 sec(?)), GCD 1.5sec (13), Savage Strike (9), GCD 1.5sec (7), Savage Strike (5), GCD 1.5sec (3), Finisher (0)

So, if you're lucky you could get 3 more physical skills off (if they land) to add 9 more dmg per skill until it's gone starting it from stealth - This is assuming the perfect fight as we all know Paralyzing is NOT 4 full seconds.

Expose Weakness from stealth is only 13x not 20. The 20 times is description 'fluff' that never actually happens as the timer of the skill runs out before you could even get that many bleed tics/physical attacks off... Not to mention your stamina/energy bar.

It is a useless skill in the sense that it doesn't do the amount of damage it claims to do because there are too many elements hindering it. It really just adds a bit more damage prior to attacking with bleeds. It has the same use both in and out of stealth.
    "It's sad something so well written was wasted on a forum post..." - Gilmador

Soulwalker

Puncture, Impale, serrated blades, auto attacks, physical weapon abilities.

I'm assuming that it stacks with things that increase damage and crit damage.

+10% damage buff might work like

Auto attack deals
    Base damage: 20
    Expose Weakness: 16

total damage = 36 x 1.1% = 39.2 damage

If it works like that then applying all the things that increase critical% , physical damage %, and then applyingthat to all the abilities listed above your actually seeing a huge DPS increase from this ability. Though with that much stuff doing damage you'll have to be refreshing it constantly.

If you're not going through all 20 stacks in super short duration, you're doing something wrong. Maybe you're using too slow of weapons or something. My stacks are empty long before the 20 seconds are up or the mob is dead, one or the other.

Dont' forget that this also works with serrated blades giving it an actual purpose now that it's damage has been nerfed so badly. I'm not using serrated blades anymore personally, but with it I could burn through the 20 stacks in under 6 seconds easily.

It's an even faster dps add now that I have Jagged Strike as my opener. I use EW on mob from stealth, Jagged Strike, Puncture, Final Blow and the stacks are gone within 2 GCD of the Final Blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harkonis View Post
    If you're not going through all 20 stacks in super short duration, you're doing something wrong. Maybe you're using too slow of weapons or something. My stacks are empty long before the 20 seconds are up or the mob is dead, one or the other.

Dont' forget that this also works with serrated blades giving it an actual purpose now that it's damage has been nerfed so badly. I'm not using serrated blades anymore personally, but with it I could burn through the 20 stacks in under 6 seconds easily.

It's an even faster dps add now that I have Jagged Strike as my opener. I use EW on mob from stealth, Jagged Strike, Puncture, Final Blow and the stacks are gone within 2 GCD of the Final Blow.
    Well of course, it's relative to your level. At low levels it doesn't show its full potential, which is what I assume the OP is talking about as he is stating 9dmg, when its higher at higher levels.

The thing that gets me though, is now that Expose Weakness only adds the benefit to you and no longer everyone as it did before. Why not just add the extra 9-20dmg to the bleeds and attacks? Sort of a silly and unnecessary skill cycle now if you ask me.
    "It's sad something so well written was wasted on a forum post..." - Gilmador

Soulwalker

The synergy with things like twin strike and the blade dancer 2 to 3 target finish would cause it to be a little too necessary possibly. Those attacks can cause serrated blades on more than one target and start to increase a melee rogues AoE damage pretty decently. I'm thinking they want to avoid melee rogues from being to AoE capable. As it stands it seems blade dancer is going to be the king of cleave for melee rogues.
    Last edited by Schalk; 02-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Rift Disciple

Keep total EW damage the same, reduce stacks to 10

Or

Remove from global CD

I think it would be better. I use it in boss fights all the time and use it on a player once from stealth, but i never use it after because the global CD and 20 energy is better spent on instant damage.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Refried View Post
    So realistically, in a perfect scenario, you're 2 seconds down (18) by the time you get a PS/Assassinate off, Global Cool Down is 1.5sec, you Puncture for bleed (16) (bleeds every 2 sec(?)), GCD 1.5sec (13), Savage Strike (9), GCD 1.5sec (7), Savage Strike (5), GCD 1.5sec (3), Finisher (0)
    Global cooldown for a rogue is 1 second not 1.5 ... its 1.5 only for the other three callings
    Last edited by Mithicor; 02-28-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Telaran

From the little bit that I played around with it in Beta, it seems to (at least in beta) effect every current dot on the target, as well as boosting your damage for the 20 seconds blah blah blah number crunching that everyone has posted before me...

What I did on bosses/pvp peeps is I stacked all my bleeds first, popped weakness, which made the tics from my dots much larger, while hitting with my "heavy hitters"... IDK if it got changed after beta or not, and I honestly don't plan on playing 'sin much, but I wanted to toss in my two cents

Eh, just use it when you're going in stealthed. Mob should be dead before it wears off anyway, or 1-2 seconds after. I never see it screwing with my rotation.

+ Reply to Thread