+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do bards do?

Soulwalker

Default What do bards do?

Sorry if it seems like a silly question hehe.

what I mean is what is their role in PvP and PvE as a main spec. I use a bard for my secondary spec for PvE and I think it's great for buffing my damage abilities of my main attacks. But i am curious what role a bard plays besides buffing and off heals if bard is your main spec? Pure support for PvP? If so what are some good soul combos that go with a bard as a main spec?

Thanks very much!

Soulwalker

Between our motifs (great group buffs), our codas (physical and non physical debuffs, decent group heal, aoe and single target damage), anthems (run speed, resists, armor etc), cadence (which is nice for the added group/raid healing), our verses..

Basically a Bard is like Bacon.

It makes everyone else better at everything when played (and specced) properly.

And if you're main speccing Bard, you should have the entire tree filled.

Default Bards = crowd control

Well, it seems to me that bards in Rift do many things that bards in Dark Age of Camelot did. Players who choose to invest a lot of points in their bard soul will benefit from an insta-mez and a 1.5s casted AoE mez. In Dark Age of Camelot, mez was made a group win, or lose, a fight. I wouldn't see much benefit of using a bard as your main soul for PvE, but in PvP situations they can be very handy.

Another nice benefit of the bard is the speed anthem. This will likely prove very useful in open-world pvp situations.

Hope this helps,
    M

Shield of Telara

Bard is a support role. A full bard's actions in a raid looks like the following

Put up Anthem and Fanfare once per hour
    Every 30 seconds cycle 5 motifs.

Dps by Cadence, Cadence, Coda or Power Cord, Cadence, Coda.

The Cadence will heal 10 members of the raid all of the damage done. This plus Motif of regeneration will have continuous heals rolling in on the raid. So, if you're used to WoW these are your raid healers.

You will still need a cleric for a main tank healer. But, the bard's job will make that clerics life a ton easier.
    Last edited by Relanex; 02-28-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Soulwalker

gotcha! good info guys.

so a bard should go full into the bard tree before worrying about other souls? Also would a bard be good in a Warfront hanging in the back and buffing and healing? that sounds very appealing.

Last question is what stats do Bards use?

Once again I thank you for your time.

Rift Disciple

Bards are basically buffbots (by far best in the game) and secondary healing in instances.

In a warfronts though I'm typically the top healer and one of the top killers (not many killing blows though).

In Rifts we are great for healing and AE damage.

Basically bards are great for everything except soloing PVE and solo PVP.
    Noth <Time>

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    gotcha! good info guys.

so a bard should go full into the bard tree before worrying about other souls? Also would a bard be good in a Warfront hanging in the back and buffing and healing? that sounds very appealing.

Last question is what stats do Bards use?

Once again I thank you for your time.
    A good chunk of your healing comes from doing at least some damage, so you cant just completely sit in the back. Typically I'm between the action and the real healers.

They use dex just like all of the Rogues.
    Noth <Time>

Soulwalker

sounds fun sprint.

what other souls do you use if any?

Keep in mind that you will have left over points as you level so you can go into other trees.

I spec Bard/sin/RS

That gets me the teleport, stealth, a sap, and all the bard goodies.

I started this game as Ranged DPS and now my main spec is bard. It is REALLY fun.
    Last edited by Pairamedik; 02-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Bards excel at buffing, debuffing, and AoE healing. Some crowd control too but it isn't their primary function.

If you are focused on PVE you should go 51 points into the soul; if you PVP you should not put more than 34-36.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    sounds fun sprint.

what other souls do you use if any?
    Almost all bards go nightblade for one of the spec and put at least 8 points in that soul for "Blazing Fury" and "Unstable State".

After that you could also go assassin or riftblade or ranger really.

Bard is probably the most versatile class in the game and you can change on the fly to fir the encounter. In Rift there is seldomly a "best" build - when it comes to a Bard you can completely forget about having the perfect build.

I'm Bard/Nightblade/Riftstalker right now, but I think I'm going to change Riftsalker out for Assassin tonight and try to get some more offense in my bard build.
    Noth <Time>

Shield of Telara

Well, AP > Dex > Str > End is all the stats a bard is going to worry about.

And you aren't really allowed to go pure bard at the beginning. It works as follows:

Max rank you can have in a tree is your level. (at 50 you can goto 51)
    You gain 1 point per level plus 1 point every 3 levels.

So, my pure bard will look as follows:

Level 10:
    Bard (10)/Riftstalker(3)/Nightblade(0)
    Level 20:
    Bard (20)/Riftstalker(5)/Nightblade(1)
    Level 30:
    Bard (30)/Riftstalker(5)/Nightblade(5)
    Level 40:
    Bard (40)/Riftstalker(5)/Nightblade(8)
    Level 50:
    Bard (51)/Riftstalker(5)/Nightblade(10)

As you can see, it just kind of builds up in those secondary trees.
    Last edited by Relanex; 02-28-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Soulwalker

thanks for the build order there relanex!

Shield of Telara

Riftstalker 5 gives +15% attack power and Shadow Shift. Shadow Shift is an extremely powerful tool once you get used to how to use it. It can allow you to get ahead of mobs and out run them if you need to flee. It can also be used to reposition yourself about a battlefield. In pvp players sometimes find it annoying to be pounding on a target that just disappears.

I am main speccing Bard with Nightblade and Riftstalker as my other souls.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dqiqskqz.Vh.Vb

As mentioned I am extra thick pepper bacon. I make everything better, and I taste good alone.

In PvE do I kill things as fast as others? No not really but I will be the last man standing

In PvP I try to hide my lute cause that thing says kill me all over it lol...

Bards
    ~Bard~
    Greybriar Defiant
    Cliff Burton didn't die you know, God just requested bass lessons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast