+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tell me why this is a bad combo

Default Tell me why this is a bad combo

Marksman/Blade Dancer/Assassin

I'm level 15 (Guardian), doing a mix of leveling and PvP. Constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome!

It depends on how you're laying out your points? As a levelling solo build, it wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not a fan of kiting. You've got little in the way of proper mitigation or self-healing. You DO get (depending on how you lay your points out) enough tools to be an effective kiter, with MM snares, runspeed, and knockback. If you go a decent amount into Assassin, you get stealth and some control, as well as some melee functionality for when stuff closes on you. And you get Blade Dancer hit. (If you go about 16-20 points in you get some nice bonuses to physical damage and auto attacks, but that means not going deep enough into Assassin for the stuns, incapacitates, blinds, and melee snares.)

I could see it working in places where you have a tank, like dungeons, or where you're able to skulk around, find a good place to drop a pedestal, and snipe casters to death before they see you. I was running something like this in beta as my aoe dungeon dps build, and it seemed pretty okay.

Compared to other builds, it may or may not be the BEST build, but there are definitely ways to make the combo work out well. Unfortunately, rift planners don't play nicey with my crappy work comp (I swear it's a glorified typewriter), or I'd try to put one together for you.

Thank you Roxina!

My main strategy for using this soul build was to pull mobs to me with marksman, build up a few combo points, and use a strong melee finisher to get the mob HP down to a point where it would only take a couple more hits to put it down. It's worked so far, but I find myself using less blade dancer abilities as I progress, simply because the assassin abilities tend to do more damage. I haven't had any real trouble running out of energy yet, and I've been able to take two mobs at once if I'm careful. I'm thinking about dropping blade dancer and picking up something with more damage mitigation or healing. From reading the forums it sounds like rift stalker might be a better third, but I haven't examined the soul tree yet to see just how many points I'd have to spend in it to make a real difference in my survivability without sacrificing too much dps in marksman or assassin.

I wouldn't do that. As tertiary souls go, BD is one of the best to have because for only five points you get an additional 5% hit. You get a two point talent in the second tier of the Marks branches that gives you another like...2% hit on your ranged attacks? That's 7% free hit, which is a LOT more than you're going to see any time soon on gear, and in a game where mobs become basically missfests at +3, that's invaluable. ESPECIALLY as a squishy rogue type.

Not everyone builds the same, but in general you've got a core soul, a secondary soul for support, and a tertiary soul that's mostly used for zero point abilites (the stuff you get without putting any soul points in the branches at all) and low-tier support. My NB spec, for instance, only really uses her nightblade attacks. The points I have in BD and Assassin are there strictly for increased crit, increased hit, and on-crit procs/bonuses. Some skills can nicely complement holes in a soul's core abilities, like BD giving an assassin some moderate AE abilities depending on how deep you invest yourself in the tree, or Ranger giving a marksman a pet, so he doesn't have to kite.

Remember, you can have up to five roles saved at any given time by level 50, and respec costs are relatively low. One build doesn't have to get you by for every situation. <3

If you're looking to drop something, though, you might consider picking up Hunter. If nothing else, it'll give you a pocket tank and eventually a guard dog. (The wolf pet's good for catching stealthers, if you leave him on aggressive in a BG. Since Marksmen are hang back and snipey types, it could be useful for keeping assassins off your bum.)

Okay, I played around with a builder and came up with this. Interestingly, as the strategy evolved in my mind, Assassin played a larger role than I thought it would. Like I said above, I'm looking for a build that will do plenty of damage up front while pulling a mob (marksman/blade dancer), then finish quick in melee (assassin/blade dancer).

Tell me if this build is clever or fail.

Edited to drop higher assassin stealth abilities in order to take advantage of blade dancer dexterity bonus to increase critical and dodge.
    Last edited by Jequixian; 02-28-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

+ Reply to Thread