+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bard: Power Cord, why use it?

Telaran

Default Bard: Power Cord, why use it?

Power Cord, 40 energy, 2 Combo Points, 3s CD.
    Cadence, 50 energy, 3 Combo Points, healing with talent.

I've tested, retested, and tested again. I just don't see the point of this skill. In the 1s you channel Cadence you get 2 combo points, do more damage, and also heal your entire raid. All for 10 more energy.

Can anyone explain me to me why I should ever spend a point on it? It is tier 3 skill. It should be better then this. It is good for secondary bards to use for 2 CP, but for main bards I just don't see the use for it.

(disclaimer this is not at 50, if at 50 power is suddenly doing the damage to make it better then just cadence spam please let me know)

Telaran

Default No idea

I've looked at Power Chord and, while I haven't tested it in game, I can see no reason to spec for it. As you say, there's always something better to do for the time involved in casting it.

Soulwalker

Default power chord

Power Chord can't be blocked or resisted right? There might be something about that, that makes it worth taking.

Soulwalker

It's much faster than Cadence so if a Bard is going after DPS then Power Chord is where it's at.

Personally, I go back and forth all the time. For rifts and such I use cadence simply because the healing it does is more helpful.. for soloing I rely more on Power Chord and my ranger abilities to raise DPS... using cadence only if I get an add or two.

Telaran

As the poster above said it's faster then Cadence, but the main thing for me is it can be used on the run to quickly generate 2 points. This is excellent in PvP when your either chasing or fleeing

Soulwalker

you play cadence for the 3 points, and than power cord gives you a instant 2... so you have a full 5 combo points in less time than playing cadence 2 times and waiting on global cooldown. Atleast thats how I play my lvl 27 bard.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I can't see any point to a power cord without a wall outlet to plug it into.

it's intended to be used in rotation with cadence, channel cadence for it's duration, power chord, coda. do it over n over, pop riff on cooldown to re-coda, refresh motifs every 30, go back to the cadence-PC-coda rotation.
    Sherira - Rogue - Saboteur, Bard, Rifstalker, Night Blade
    Irene - Cleric - Inquisitor/Sentinel
    Saffahh - Mage - Pyromancer/Dominator and the best damn level 9 Master Outfitter you'll ever see
    TheMickey - Warrior - Beastmaster, Paragon and his trusty kung-fu battle cat Master Korin

Station

Shadowlander

As previous said:

-Power Chord: Damage and Combo Points while on the run, useful in PvP.
    -Cadence: Probably superior in most PvE situations, requires you to stand still.

Other people said it, I'll support it.

We use it on the run. Chasing fleeing enemies in PvP I generally alternate power chord, CoW, wait a second, power chord, CoW. It's our best mobile damage.
    Dear Africa, you helped me write this...

Telaran

Not talking about PvP, just purely PvE.

You don't have to channel for full duration, channeling cadence for 1s (GCD) nets more damage and 2 CP. Only difference there is it can't be used on the move.

Um, It's a ranged Instant attack that gives two combo points?

Why wouldn't you use it?

I'm not sure when the last time you had to cast while moving was, but I'm pretty sure that Cadence isn't the best move to use during that time.

I use it with Puncture to get 4 combo points in 2 globals. Its a good ability because its instant.

Soulwalker

I couldnt do without it in both pvp and pve, its instant and you need combo points fast when you need to heal fast, one of the better spells bards have in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tehmickey View Post
    it's intended to be used in rotation with cadence, channel cadence for it's duration, power chord, coda. do it over n over, pop riff on cooldown to re-coda, refresh motifs every 30, go back to the cadence-PC-coda rotation.
    I suggest swapping this around to avoid CD's: Power Chord > Cadence > Coda

Cadence burns down the CD while you are casting it so have no delay with this way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast