+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What weapon is used for Saboteur weapon damage?

Telaran

Default What weapon is used for Saboteur weapon damage?

Many of the Saboteur's abilities state that they do "Weapon damage + xxx". Since Rogues can use two melee weapons and a ranged weapon, which weapon is actually used?

The testing that I've done seems to indicate that it's the main hand and only the main hand that has any impact however it's hard to say anything for sure as I'm dealing with low numbers and the random number generator. In some cases, my highest damage setup and lowest damage setup would even overlap with good/bad luck. I would love to see an official post, or a post from a Saboteur who's made it beyond 20 or so.

My experience:
    For testing I have level 3 weapons, purchased from a vendor. I also have my currently equipped level 9ish daggers and a 14ish bow:

No melee equipped- only using a good bow:
    Lowest of all (mid 30s for a single charge).

Only one good melee weapon equipped:
    Highest of all (mid 40s for a single charge).

It should be noted that 2 melee weapons was close enough to just using one weapon that it could just be the RNG. Also, adding the bow didn't seem to have any real improvement, although it did give me some extra dexterity.
    Last edited by NaughtyPuppy; 02-27-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Default The Mainhand Melee Weapon

is what is used to calculate damage.
    I'm taking out my dagger...I'm holding it up to your throat...

Rift Disciple

What about bard abilities? Are they the main hand melee weapons too?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by zonzai View Post
    What about bard abilities? Are they the main hand melee weapons too?
    After some very quick testing (once with all my normal level 9-14 weapons, once with all level 3 weapons and once with all level 3 weapons except for my main hand), it looks like main hand weapon is all that matters. I should be quick to note that the difference between the high and low was only about 10% (I believe it was the difference between 23 a tick and 25/26 a tick- but I was in a rush and that's just from memory).

tl;dr
    Main hand weapon is all that matters for Saboteurs and Bards. The rest are just stat bonuses.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyPuppy View Post
    After some very quick testing (once with all my normal level 9-14 weapons, once with all level 3 weapons and once with all level 3 weapons except for my main hand), it looks like main hand weapon is all that matters. I should be quick to note that the difference between the high and low was only about 10% (I believe it was the difference between 23 a tick and 25/26 a tick- but I was in a rush and that's just from memory).

tl;dr
    Main hand weapon is all that matters for Saboteurs and Bards. The rest are just stat bonuses.
    I don't think this is exactly right. I tested with 1 blast charge on sabateur. If you have no weapons equipped you get an error trying to use blast charge. If you have just a ranged weapon equipped it works fine. If you have just one melee weapon equipped it works fine, main or off hand. Equipping and Unequipping main hand weapon did the exact same damage, so I think it at least checks a different weapon if you don't have a main hand equipped. It may use your highest dps weapon, but I haven't tested that yet.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by gcaliber View Post
    I don't think this is exactly right. I tested with 1 blast charge on sabateur. If you have no weapons equipped you get an error trying to use blast charge.
    This is correct. I probably didn't describe my set up as well as I should have. While testing Bard damage, I always had all 3 slots equiped- the only variance was the level of the weapons.

-In one setup, all 3 weapons were level 3
    -In the next, 2 of the weapons were level 3 with my main hand at level 14
    -Last one was with all of my normal level 9-14 weapons.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyPuppy View Post

tl;dr
    Nice to know, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread