+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Bards main heal dungeons

Default Can Bards main heal dungeons

Question for all you experienced bards out there. Can bard main heal dungeons? I am definitely making my second spec a Bard for playing support role in PvP. But not sure if I would be wanted as healer for dungeons.

Soulwalker

Not so much. Bards are good in that they are healing all the time, but they just cannot deal with spike damage. If your cadence misses, or you are subject to a knockback, there goes a fair amount of healing. My main is a bard, lvl 20 atm, and I would not even attempt to be a groups only healer. Now, once you get Coda of Restoration, you are able to do a lot more healing, but you just wont be as effective as, say, a chloromancer. We are a support class, and as such, you should really be focusing on that. Bards rock, and a group would be crazy to not roll with one, but main healing is just not our game.

I am sure there will be a post soon that will tell me I am a noob and know nothing about Bards. In prep for that, I ask that whoever starts the "your a noob" responce to do me one favor. Post your spec, and explanation as to how you solo healed a 5 man instance. Post a parse if you have it. Dont just come in here mouthing off because your in queue and have nothing better to do.

Telaran

I got to level 33 in the beta, as far as bard heals, they are good in a group aspect because they are all AOE, we don't have any single target heals. Its nice if a boss is beating you over and over again, just switch to bard and it makes for a smoother fight. We dont have any single target heals, so if the tank takes a lot of damage from one move we are pretty much done for.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by grannos View Post
    ...on that. Bards rock, and a ...
    Oh yeah, they do... they also do a mean Samba...

The 21pt heal is amazing. If u simply have two bards or a bard and chloro dps. U dont need a dedicated healer at all. U can simply have one tank and four dps.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Rift Disciple

Hokonso is kind of right. If you get too many adds they can pretty easily overwhelm you.

Koe

I can solo heal trash mobs, and some bosses depending on the DPS. I almost solo healed the FC spider boss, we would've won if the 5th person wasn't AFK(cleric was AFK and tank pulled. If it was a DPS we would've beat it). Got it down to 15%.

Edit: But, realistically? No. They don't have burst heals, and the only good heal is tied to combo points. If a bard tries to solo heal a boss, it's a DPS attrition race. The bard can keep the tank up for awhile, but not indefinately.
    Last edited by Koe; 02-27-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    The bard can keep the tank up for awhile, but not indefinately.
    I doubt any healer can.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluro View Post
    I doubt any healer can.
    I meant it's a war of attrition. You try to starve them before they starve you. A "real" healer can keep a tank up until they run out of Mana. A solo bard healer keeps them up but dropping 5-10% every few seconds.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    The 21pt heal is amazing. If u simply have two bards or a bard and chloro dps. U dont need a dedicated healer at all. U can simply have one tank and four dps.
    I've run IT, Mines, and Foul Cascade several times (Done most of my leveling via instances so far...) with just a Chloro and myself (bard) as healers with pretty good luck.

Soulwalker

I wouldnt go with just a bard but as complement to a pure healer they rock. I mean all the buffing and support healing is kinda awesome.

Telaran

I was tanking IT last night as a RS and as we all entered the instance, we were like oh crap...no heals. So the other rogue switched over to bard, which he had never setup before until that moment.

He main healed just fine, although there were some hairy close calls when i hit around 30% HP, not sure if that was just his lack of XP with the bard or not, but we didn't die once.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    If you are grouping with a chloro, the chloro is the dedicated/main healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Melehan View Post
    If you are grouping with a chloro, the chloro is the dedicated/main healer.
    Exactly. It puzzles me how many people think chloro is an offhealer. It is a primary healer role, just like cleric ones.

Yes I just got done doing Foul Cascade as a solo Chorlomancer - even though a bard's support would be nice, a Chorlo can solo heal a dungeon they are a main healer. Bard is just what Trion defined them as - a support class with more than just healing to aid their group.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast