+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st time archer help.. Solo PvE, some PvP

Shadowlander

Default 1st time archer help.. Solo PvE, some PvP

Okay I've never really tried a serious archer build in any game, but I enjoy the idea of having a completely ranged role on my rogue, so any help would be appreciated.

Which soul is best as a main, Ranger or MM? I actually have the Ranger soul on my melee sin for the 0 pt pet, and it does it's job.

For a 3rd soul, I assume it'll be Bard or Sab.. Bard is obvious for it's support and heals, but how would Sab work in this, if ever? Any other souls you guys could recommend?

Thanks in advance hope you guys can help.

Hey!

The Marksman/Bard/Ranger is a very effective and popular leveling spec, also doing pretty good in PvP at the moment. You should really pick up Bard for Invigorated Soul. It makes your Cadence heal yourself and the raid (or in leveling situations your pet of course) for 100% of damage dealt. Really awesome ability, not only does it heal a lot but the damage scales pretty nice also (meaning you don't need to spec for it) Use this effectively, and you and you and your pet should have a hard time dying.

I am no expert with MM/BA/RA combination, but I guess you can simply go with 8 points in Bard, 0 in Ranger (to start off with, you only want the pet) and put the rest in Marksman. You can easily mix it up with some PvE and PvP talents.

Tried this combination from 22-25 but respecced to Bladedancer/Riftstalker/Assassin, simply because I find it a much more fun spec to play with. Does not got half of the survivability from the MM/BA/RA combi tho.
    Last edited by bermar; 02-27-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Soulwalker

Ranged souls:

-Bard:
    Fun spec, mainly support role in groups. Kills stuff by singing it to death! Hilarious.
    Team it up with a pet, and a 3rd soul augmenting your bardic ability and you got a fun and kickass leveling build which can go on and on and on because you heal yourself and your pet by singing! ^^

Marksman:
    pewpew, strong AoE later on (at 31 i got 4 aoe abilities :x) not as strong as it used to be but still a decent soul, pair it up with ranger for the pet and assasin or nightblade for increased damage.

Ranger:
    pet-ahoy! controll your pet, choose between several pets (10 pts unlock a wolf, 31 pts a err....dino thing.) Ranged attacks, best augmented with classes like MM which increases damage done.

Sabetour:
    Not sure about this one, but from what i heard its controlling the battlefield, setting up bombs to kill the enemy in one big kaboooooom. Obviously since its combo burst oriented, nightblade makes a good pairing. Ranger perhaps for pet or other classes to augment your dps =)

pairing a ranged soul with others:
    Keep in mind what do you want? which style do you go for?
    You can make a heavy dps based rarnged character or a Ranged teleporting muppet if you like. Its up to you, decide what kind of ranged style you want to use and then add the support souls accordingly.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by bermar View Post
    Tried this combination from 22-25 but respecced to Bladedancer/Riftstalker/Assassin, simply because I find it a much more fun spec to play with. Does not got half of the survivability from the MM/BA/RA combi tho.

Haha, my main role is Assassin/ Riftstalker/ Bladedancer (I specced Ranger in recently for the pet) and it is fun. I've never had a ranged role before so the nice thing about this game is that it gives me that chance when I'm too lazy to stealth around in pvp.

Thanks for the replies! The only topics about MM now seem to be people complaining about how underpowered they are after the nerfs, etc.

I will probably go with MM Bard Ranger then as I solo basically 99% of the time (unless this 1 friend I have that plays MMOs gets into this) so bard sounds like it's definitely a must for survivability.

Also, I've never used a NB before but I like the +15% to combo builders and finishers. Sounds good enough to put into either ranged or melee.

Do I basically get all the 1pt abilities in MM? I'm looking at the Soul Planner and I just have no idea which ones are good. Also, which passives do you recommend? I'm at lvl 24 so..

I made this as a "draft".. any input would be appreciated. Thanks again!

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McfN.Vc.x0toqkc

Soulwalker

Looks good, question is if you need all that short time CC or not.
    You could contemplate getting Motiff of rejuvenation if needed or just the anthem (10 pts bard) for speed boost when moving around =)

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoopsiepoo View Post
    Do I basically get all the 1pt abilities in MM? I'm looking at the Soul Planner and I just have no idea which ones are good. Also, which passives do you recommend? I'm at lvl 24 so..
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McfN.Vc.x0toqkc
    Basically get those talents that improves your raw damage, I didn't care to much for the PvP based talents. Although some of the talents that increases your movement speed is pretty handy for leveling.

It really just comes down to a matter of preference, if you feel like having some CC abilities for either PvP situations or encounters were you might get over-crowded - simply pick up those talents. If not, screw it and go for the pure PvE/damage talents.
    EU EN PvP Sagespire: Candy <MVP> | Rogue | Bladedancer/Assassin/Riftstalker

Soulwalker

Default old wow hunter

I played a hunter in WoW, which was amazing for solo and team play. From my experience so far with rogues in RIFT i am enjoying the ranger/bard/sab build. most of my points go into ranger for the increases to dps and the pet abilities increase. the bard is my 2nd tree which works well to buff me as well as my pet, and honestly i only use sabateur for the area affect slow which is really nice for pvp.

Shadowlander

Thanks again.. I've updated to this build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McfN.qcz.x0x0q0V

I love that increased movement speed. one painful thing about this game is that they only feel the need to jog or use an animal. The CD on the racial movement things are just too long to be a great help.

Might try the Ranger as the main later on too, the beauty of this game, being able to change as I please. Gone are the times where I'd have to make a completely new character to try something slightly different.

Shadowlander

Okay, nothing harder than jumping into the shoes of a level 24 character that I've never used before.

As a MM/Bard/Ranger, what rotations do you guys recommend? Or at least, which combo builders and finishers are worth using? It's hard to drop in to this and not know any rotations haha.

Rift Disciple

I'll just reiterate what others have said. Marksman/bard/ranger is a very strong leveling build.

Personally I prefer to use cadence and power chord to get my marksman finisher off as soon as possible. Power Chord is an instant +2 charge and Cadence is a 1.5 second +3 charge. That means I can use Rapid Fire shot more often. I have little trouble taking on 3-4 mobs a few levels above me. If it gets upwards of four it can get difficult to keep my pet up though.
    Last edited by zonzai; 02-27-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Okay, nothing harder than jumping into the shoes of a level 24 character that I've never used before.

As a MM/Bard/Ranger, what rotations do you guys recommend? Or at least, which combo builders and finishers are worth using? It's hard to drop in to this and not know any rotations haha.
    If i remember correctly, at level 22 I used something like - Empowered Shot > Barbed Shot > Quick Shot x2 > Deadeye Shot > Cadence x2. Finish the mob off with another finisher, such as Head Shot or Deadeye Shot.
    Don't know if this is the optimal rotation, but it worked really well for me. The mob dies quick and you and your pet should be topped up!
    EU EN PvP Sagespire: Candy <MVP> | Rogue | Bladedancer/Assassin/Riftstalker

Soulwalker

Okay I've never really tried a serious archer build in any game, but I enjoy the idea of having a completely ranged role on my rogue, so any help would be appreciated.

Which soul is best as a main, Ranger or MM? I actually have the Ranger soul on my melee sin for the 0 pt pet, and it does it's job.

For a 3rd soul, I assume it'll be Bard or Sab.. Bard is obvious for it's support and heals, but how would Sab work in this, if ever? Any other souls you guys could recommend?

Thanks in advance hope you guys can help.
    Nightblade have very nice general lowlevel talents that fits most builds and a stealth. I dont think the choice of souls are superimportant for leveling, I have no problem killing mobs with MM/NB and assassin as third sole for the poison. (I realize that ranger or saboteur would be more optimal but leveling is already too easy without a pet to hold aggro as well).
    Last edited by winterknight; 02-28-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks again.. I've updated to this build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McfN.qcz.x0x0q0V

I love that increased movement speed. one painful thing about this game is that they only feel the need to jog or use an animal.
    Can I ask what you do with the movement speed increase from Marksman in your PVE gameplay?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by gel214th View Post
    Can I ask what you do with the movement speed increase from Marksman in your PVE gameplay?
    Oh I was talking about the Bard uhh.. Motif? I didn't take the On the Go skill from MMs.

+ Reply to Thread