+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard damage

Shadowlander

Default Bard damage

Ok, I understand -- get dexterity for attack power --- but Cadence damage and Coda of Wrath damage, both are life damage --- so, when I add runes, right now I can get either Glowing Steadfast Rune, which is Physical Crit +3, or Glowing Unwavering Rune, which is Spell Crit +3.

So is the bard life damage considered physical or spell?? --- thanks

It's a bit wierd thats for sure.
    I know its a non-physical combo builder requiring "any weapon" (i.e. its doesn't proc melee strikes and isn't considered a ranged attack).
    I THINK it crits off physical crit.

I would love it for someone to correct me however.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gimar View Post
    Ok, I understand -- get dexterity for attack power --- but Cadence damage and Coda of Wrath damage, both are life damage --- so, when I add runes, right now I can get either Glowing Steadfast Rune, which is Physical Crit +3, or Glowing Unwavering Rune, which is Spell Crit +3.

So is the bard life damage considered physical or spell?? --- thanks
    I believe its spell damage since I tried in beta to take up riftstalker so I could get the attack power talent but it had no effect. With that I am wondering if Nightblades talents really effect Cadence. The two i am talking about are "Increases damage of combo generating attacks" and "all non-physical attack's are increased". I put my 8 points into it but I can't really tell the difference?

Any have any solid numbers on this?

Voh

yeah i was wondering about that "unstable state" point as well in the nightblade i put 3 points into it thinking id see some difference but from what i can tell there isnt much if any, maybe im wrong, can anyone shed some light here.

One thing is for certain Cadence does scale with Attack power. It also scales with spell power but the effect of attack power is greater than SP so wearing cloth is not a good idea.

Soulwalker

it scales with AP at a rate of 1pt of dmg per 10 ap. It does scale with the riftstalker skill that does +15% AP but you have to get your BASE AP to around 80 before you will see your first point of dmg increase. (take all your stuff off to see what your base is).

Good discussion on RiftBards.com

Rascal
    Last edited by Tylis; 02-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Telaran

Cadence is a non-physical (life) damage source, that scales from typical Rogue stats. In other words, attack power, dexterity, physical crit, etc. are all important to a Bard. Basically, its a spell that functions as a physical attack. The NB talent that increases non-physical damage will increase its damage, as well as that Coda that increases damage to the target by 7% (Coda of Distress? Can't remember the name off the top of my head).

Also, the weapon damage part scales from the weapon you're holding at the moment. If you're in melee range, or have melee weapons pulled out, it will scale from your melee weapons. Same thing with ranged weapons. If you spam Cadence (No finishers) you can effectively keep a ranged weapon out in melee, since autoattacks don't occur when you're channeling. This is helpful if your ranged weapon has more DPS than your melee (as is often the case).

I wasnt sure whether to use essences that gave boosts to spells or physical attacks because of all this.

I tried them both.

Using a essence that proc'd fire damage on spell use, I got the proc successfully, and using a essence that worked on physical attacks, it didnt proc off cadence.

So we have to pursue the same stats that an assassin, nightblade or ranger would want - but our abilities are nonetheless spells to the engine. At least thats my current understanding.

Rift Chaser

I bought two different weapons to test AP versus Spellpower from the glaomwood quartermaster.

Both weapons had the same DPS and are the same lvl.

One was a caster sword that had around +90ish SP
    The other was standerd Melee Dagger which added a tiny bit of Ap from dex or str(can't remember the weapon)

Im lvl 28 and this was on lvl 27 mobs.
    When I had the Caster +90ish SP item equiped I lost around 10ap from the dex.

ON the same mob these are the damage I saw from cadence:

Melee dagger equiped (about)+10ap? --cadence was 43-46 ticks (but mostly 45's) and the healing was 59 a tick.
    Caster Weapon +90s SP - cadence was 42-43 ticks (never higher) and the healing was 56

damage and heals went down when I added 90 Spellpower.. thats a lot of spellpower at lvl 28. The Spellpower tooltip said +23 dps to spells and nothing like that happened.

Personally I think Bard DPS should be based on Rogue stats only. Meaning the standard Attack power,Physical Crit and Dex str etc; otherwise itemization would be messy considering bard is 1/3 of a build and the other two use rogue stats. I had to test it for myself though. I feel better now. There is no doubt.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-27-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I bought two different weapons to test AP versus Spellpower from the glaomwood quartermaster.

Both weapons had the same DPS and are the same lvl.

One was a caster sword that had around +90ish SP
    The other was standerd Melee Dagger which added a tiny bit of Ap from dex or str(can't remember the weapon)

Im lvl 28 and this was on lvl 27 mobs.
    When I had the Caster +90ish SP item equiped I lost around 10ap from the dex.

ON the same mob these are the damage I saw from cadence:

Melee dagger equiped (about)+10ap? --cadence was 43-46 ticks (but mostly 45's) and the healing was 59 a tick.
    Caster Weapon +90s SP - cadence was 42-43 ticks (never higher) and the healing was 56

damage and heals went down when I added 90 Spellpower.. thats a lot of spellpower at lvl 28. The Spellpower tooltip said +23 dps to spells and nothing like that happened.

Personally I think Bard DPS should be based on Rogue stats only. Meaning the standard Attack power,Physical Crit and Dex str etc; otherwise itemization would be messy considering bard is 1/3 of a build and the other two use rogue stats. I had to test it for myself though. I feel better now. There is no doubt.
    Good job testing this and sharing. Very good to know.

Rift Disciple

I've noticed that a lot of the abilities don't apply bonus damage to other souls, even when the description suggests that they should. This is something that I'm sure will eventually get looked at but right now its kind of hit and miss. I would suggest that, for the time being, if people want to try something to see if it works, go for it and let us know how it went. Its all still pretty much up in the air at this point.

+ Reply to Thread