+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapon Choice and Me (and you)

Default Weapon Choice and Me (and you)

I've been pretty much exclusively going for axes and maces since beta, since they have generally higher damage ranges than swords and especially daggers, and pretty much all rogue attacks are weapon + X. Lately I've been wondering if the net loss of damage from my attacks might be made up for with extra weapon enchant procs, faster debuff stacking, and all that good stuff. I'd try to crunch the numbers myself, but I'm still not entirely sure how procs are normalized in this game.

I'm also still not sure how autoattack's working. I know it just ticks away as an afterthought in the background, but as duel wielders, is our delay the average of our weapons? Does our main hand tick independantly of our offhand? Do weapon enchants proc only off mainhand swings, or does each hand have a chance to proc them? I've been trying to figure out a way to work this out with ACT, but near as I can tell there's no way to distinguish between mainhand and offhand swings with that parser.

Anywho, much love to anyone who's been better able to crunch the combat mechanics than I have and is willing to share.

As a random aside, is there an EJ-style site running for Rift yet? I've been poking Riftjunkies every now and again, but it was kinda...eeeeh the last time I checked the forums. Admittedly, that was a week or two ago.

Soulwalker

Bump, because I'm interested in a response to this thread, wondering the same stuff.

Soulwalker

Weapons are normalized for special attacks that use "weapon damage + XX%".

To clarify, what this means is that weapons with equal DPS will always do the exact same damage when you use special abilities. The only variation will come from any differences in stats the weapons might have, autoattack damage/frequency, and (not confirmed) procs. In theory, faster weapons should proc effects more often, but these may be normalized as well--haven't tested it myself.

Short version: assuming same DPS and stats, take the faster weapon.

Well, weapon attacks were normalized, but I don't know wether they were fully normalized or not. I don't play WoW, so I don't have any first hand experience with that. But from what I understand of it, their weapon normalization wasn't total, slower weapons still hit a little bit harder with skills to balance out faster weapons getting more procs off. EQ 2 on the other hand (again, from what I've heard, I don't play that either) has limits on proc rates to keep that in line.

Given this line:

NIGHTBLADE
    * Fixed a bug where the internal cooldown was not working for weapon enchantments.
    It seems there is some kind of limit on procs in Rift (and that it wasn't working correctly until just before release) although what the nature of that limit is, is still unknown.

I don't know how dual wield is interacting with auto attacks, but it should be possible to get an idea by using two dissimilar enough weapons (say one of the starter daggers with an end game mace, or even just any mid-level weapon really) so that you can tell which one is which. Just need some free time and a training dummy. ;)

I haven't heard of any good game mechanic oriented sites for Rift yet either, sorry. I'd love to know if they're out there too.

-Aglethe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    "He no longer had the youth, the innocence, or the desire to go and fight at a place chosen by his opponents, three duels arranged in ten minutes, in the grounds of the Carmelite convent or wherever the hell it might be. When the time came to say hello, he'd make sure he approached Rochefort with everything in his favor, if possible from behind, with a steel bar in his hand... Corso would settle his debts calmly. Biding his time."

Telaran

It's pretty easy to test normalization -- get naked, grab a slow weapon and a fast one, and hit a target dummy. You'll find that the attacks do the same between the two weapons; at least that's my experience.

Don't know about enchants.

Edit: Seems like it would be pretty easy to grab the RiftJunkie's parser and test that.
    Last edited by SadisticDentist; 02-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread