+ Reply to Thread

Thread: saboteur weapon type

Rift Disciple

Default saboteur weapon type

When an ability says deals weapon + 50. is that weapon dmg based on your melee weapons or ranged weapons? thanks

I think u want the highest damge weapon in your main hand ie either dagger or ranged. So if your dagger lets say hits for 4-8 damge and your ranged hits for 10- 18 u would want your range in your main hand.
    I could be wrong but i believe that is correct.

Rift Disciple

oh ok but how would you put your ranged in main hand? i thought main hand could only hold melee type weapons while your ranged weapon goes into ranged slot

Rift Disciple

i think if you press z or x it will change from ranged to melee weapons

i did some tests on this in the closing hours of beta 7 to make sure i had it all straight during launch. if any of this is different now, they must have changed it between beta 7 and headstart. at that point it worked like this, if you had equipped:

if a main hand weapon of any kind is equipped, regardless of what else you are using, offhands/ranged, main hand weapon determines damage

if no main hand weapon is present, but an offhand weapon IS present - main hand determines damage, that damage was defaulted to 0 as there was no actual MH item there

if no main hand OR offhand - the ranged weapon determined damage. this was actually the preffered result as ranged weapons generally have much better dps than melee weapons. only problem with that is you don't benefit from the stats (dex, str, etc) the MH/OH would give.

i put in a suggestion that they make the ranged weapon default for sab since we really are a ranged class anyway but i doubt they noticed or cared. under normal circumstances in game you will want your best dps item in main hand, preferrably something with a good top end damage (criticals are simply defaulted to the top end of the weapon, and critical hits with the same gear/ability on the same mobs of equal level/armor will result in identical numbers on critical hit). your offhand and ranged weapon slots become nothing more than "stat sticks" as far as saboteur abilities are concerned.
    Last edited by tehmickey; 02-24-2011 at 06:26 PM.

you cant have dagger in offhand and ranged in main, melee with melee and ranged alone.
    but a high dmg and slow sword\mace in main and dagger in offhand might be good

Quote Originally Posted by IvyQuinn View Post
    you cant have dagger in offhand and ranged in main, melee with melee and ranged alone.
    but a high dmg and slow sword\mace in main and dagger in offhand might be good
    as in my above, the offhand dps/top-end damage is not taken into account. only the main hand and possibly ranged if no melee weapons are equipped at the moment
    Sherira - Rogue - Saboteur, Bard, Rifstalker, Night Blade
    Irene - Cleric - Inquisitor/Sentinel
    Saffahh - Mage - Pyromancer/Dominator and the best damn level 9 Master Outfitter you'll ever see
    TheMickey - Warrior - Beastmaster, Paragon and his trusty kung-fu battle cat Master Korin

Station

I just did a lot of testing on the level 8 mobs south of King's Retreat, I'm a level 15 sab/ranger/bard. all of the numbers point to both detonate and blast charge taking their weapon+ damge from the one handed weapon in my main hand slot.

if there was no weapon in my main hand slot but there was a one handed in the off hand slot, and a bow/gun, then it appears no weapon+ damage was added, as if I had no weapons equipped at all

if both my main hand and off hand weapons slot were empty then weapon+ was taken from my bow.

weapons used were a 1-handed sword 6-12 dmg every 2.1 sec (4.3 dps)
    1-handed dagger 6-11 dmg every 1.8 sec (4.7 dps)
    bow 10-18 dmg every 2.6 sec (dps 5.4)
    upgraded bow 16-30 dmg every 2.6 sec (8.8 dps)

using the first bow and the upgrade bow is how I verified that bow damage only works when both main hand and off hand are empty, and it doesn't apply if either has a weapon in it.

So, when looking to upgrade weapons (especially if buying it with planar currency) go for the 1 handed melee weapon before the bow/gun, and stick that in your main hand slot.

p.s. it looks like only caster weapons have the designation "main hand", all of the physical damage stat weapons i saw were "one hand".
    I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound -- if I can remember any of the damn things.
    - Dorothy Parker

Shadowlander

Thank you for your time and the update.

+ Reply to Thread