+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nightblade: ranged, melee or hybrid soul?

Default Nightblade: ranged, melee or hybrid soul?

I am intrigued by the nightblade soul. But I did not get the chance to try it out in the beta test. What kind of soul is this?

How exactly would we fight warriors and mages. I am guessing a mage would be happy that you are not in his face and giving him a free reign to kite you. Against a warrior we will have to close in for the melee attacks and finishers we have. If we close in for a finisher are we supposed to run out of his melee range as soon as possible?

Any insights from all you experienced folks would be appreciated.

Rift Disciple

imo it goes great with RS and Bard

Quote Originally Posted by bignbrown View Post
    imo it goes great with RS and Bard
    Goes great with just about any soul combo imo. 15% damage to combo point abilities, 15% damage to finishers? YES PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by gluon View Post
    I am intrigued by the nightblade soul. But I did not get the chance to try it out in the beta test. What kind of soul is this?

How exactly would we fight warriors and mages. I am guessing a mage would be happy that you are not in his face and giving him a free reign to kite you. Against a warrior we will have to close in for the melee attacks and finishers we have. If we close in for a finisher are we supposed to run out of his melee range as soon as possible?

Any insights from all you experienced folks would be appreciated.
    Nightblade is a lot of fun, it has ranged and melee combo builders and ranged and melee finishers, it's also a good support soul for many other builds due to low-level buffs to both combo builders and finishers. It is an excellent starter soul because you get to have ranged, melee, and stealth (with openers). I expect that at higher levels, when combined with perma-stealth from Assassin soul, it will be pretty amazing.

NB is wicked ! specially the top talents!

Build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...x0t0q0V.0VMcxc

Living flame and Blackout are pro as well but ya, need to give up so much for that.

Rift Disciple

I'd say its a bit of a hybrid. Gives you options to fight at ranged and in melee, surprisingly I heard a lot of people combine this with assassin (melee heavy). The extra dmg of nightblade augments the baseline assassin physical damage and combo point generation.

Plane Touched

There are two important considerations when you compare nightblade with its partner/nemesis assassin:

1. Nightblade is a hybrid class utiulizing offensive abilities that do fire and death damage. This means it gives you certain specializations vs certain souls. Where an Assassins physical damage finishers or stealth openers rock vs targets with low armor, the Nightblade's spell based attacks will help you vs the warrior and cleric souls heavy armor.

In that sense, an assassin/nightblade pairing is not as surprising as the above posted mentioned. Even though most abilities "look the same", this physical/magical component is important.

2. Nightblade is a class that clearly lacks in crowd control abilities compared to the assassin, but makes up for this with openers and finishers from range. If that mage roots you as a nightblade, you still have some offensive potential from distance. However as an assassin, you d use another card up your sleeve to either disorient/stun etc the enemy or slip away/break their root on you.

A different playstyle.
    Last edited by Iseldiena; 02-24-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sincx View Post
    NB is wicked ! specially the top talents!

Build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...x0t0q0V.0VMcxc

Living flame and Blackout are pro as well but ya, need to give up so much for that.
    You posted the wrong build.. thats a ranger/mm build

I have a nightblade build.

And im not telling

But basically as a primary soul NB starts at range and wants to be in melee if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gluon View Post

I'm not the expert but I only used range skills when I was at range.. I closed in as soon as I could and then switched to melee...

A little kindness goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    I have a nightblade build.

And im not telling

But basically as a primary soul NB starts at range and wants to be in melee if at all possible.
    I am so going to stalk you to check out your build Which server you rolling on?

I'm tempted to go Nightblade/Bladedancer/Assassin

Seems like it will make a great melee build, and as said gives you the ability to rock in pvp against most classes and BD gives you a nice +dodge if things get hairy
    With Faith and Fury I fight on.

Rift Disciple

What makes the Nightblade so impressive, at least imho, is the fact that all the attacks are elemental based. Meaning they ignore armor mitigation. And we can do this at range or in melee.

Besides, a magic wielding rogue with flaming weapons? What's cooler than that?
    Tell you what, you remove the dps from Warriors and make them tanks only, and I'll stop being a Rogue tank. Until then, we finally have multiple roles instead of one. Get over it..

Rift Disciple

rolled a nightblade, most points in NB with a few in RS and Bard, seems good so far for levelling

I tested out a sin/mm/nb and funny enough its rather good, lots of variation in play so one dont get bored to death, and the range and melee % damage stuff works nice.. Sins is more of a teasing/toying soul for those one on one engagements with its stuns.

Shame the points can lack I guess but to be effective it seems with mixing the souls one doesnt always have to have a tree full of points, as long as it compliments the playstyle/remaining soul tree's.

+ Reply to Thread