+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Ranger Pets really useful?

Default Are Ranger Pets really useful?

Do Ranger Pets really hold agro and keep the enemy away from squishy me?

What about PvP, do players just ignore them and come straight for me because of lack of DPS?

Are Rangers really useful in the later stages of levels?

From personal experience, the ranger pets are actually quite decent on holding aggro, if you manage to pull aggro the monsters almost dead.

For pvp, OMG they piss me off, nothing worse then trying to get a jump on someone with a giant pig humping your leg from some ranger across the warfront!

Playing as a sab, the ranger pet always got the agro, because they damaged the target while my setting of charges does nothing right away.

I don't know how effective they might be for other classes for taking agro, though.

Shadowlander

I wish I could be of more help and answer all your questions, but sadly I can only answer one.

Yes, the pet is GREAT for holding aggro. I don't think I've ever pulled aggro from my lil' 0 point piggy, (never got high enough for the other pets).

I plan to go full Bard with Nightblade and Rifstalker at end game... but up until about Lv 30 I plan to have Ranger in my build rather than Rifstalker for the 0 point pet and its ability to keep the mobs off of me and to off tank if I get an add.

Unlike Mage 0 point pets, the Ranger 0 point pet will max out at Lv 30... but if you're putting points into Ranger and getting the higher point pets AND then keeping up the pet summon rank of the spells... they'll take you to end game.

Hope that was a bit helpful at least.

Good luck out there.

And be sure to right click the portrait of your pet and give him a nice name

Xsi

Generally, as levels progress, lots of AoE starts flying around so pets do not have it easy. Pets are ignored if you can kill its master (remember, pet owner names are tagged right below the pet name).

In PvP, there are pets that heal (the Druid faeries) that generally should not be ignored.

Also, Bard healing through Cadence (and melee cleric) means that if you sick your pet on the bard, they'll be healing their group from it (and killing the pet).

EDIT: Regarding pet aggro, always use the boar and you should be fine as long as you keep the pet at your level. Sometimes the boar charge misses but they take/retain aggro after a few more seconds when they don't miss.
    Last edited by Xsi; 02-24-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Rift Chaser

Pets are great for tanking in solo pve.
    Its really important to understand that Rogues only get ONE tank pet and it comes in two versions greater and normal. The greater pig is needed after 30 because it continues to lvl to 50 where the normal one stops at 30.

The Razorpig/Greater Razorpig is the tank pet ; the others are dps pets.

You don't replace the pig with a wolf because you get it later on.. I see rangers do that then complain it doesnt hold aggro. This is the same for mages and their pets.

You use generally use the wolf/raptor when you don't need a tank like in 5-mans or PVP, although I really think the wolf is intended for pvp because it has healing debuffs available later.

Razorbeast is a great tank, not super durable but you won't have trouble with normal mobs. In PvP they keep people in combat... that's about it.

In my experience, the pig holds aggro just fine for pve whereas the wolf is only an added dps. For pvp though, I found that summoning the pet at the spawn point takes a long time leaving you out of the fray for a bit. I think that summoning is best when you find yourself in a position of no immediate threat vs at the spawn point.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorus View Post
    In my experience, the pig holds aggro just fine for pve whereas the wolf is only an added dps. For pvp though, I found that summoning the pet at the spawn point takes a long time leaving you out of the fray for a bit. I think that summoning is best when you find yourself in a position of no immediate threat vs at the spawn point.
    They changed it in the last notes for warfronts. If you die but the pet doesnt it respawns with you.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-24-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorus View Post
    The wolf is really for the healing debuff.

If the mythical patch notes are to be believed your pet will spawn with you if it was out when you died.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    They changed it in the last notes for warfronts. If you die but the pet doesnt it respawns with you.
    thats nice, i was getting tired of summoning it in every time i died slowing my re entry into combat. i eventually didnt bother summoning my pet back.
    Guild: Knights of Sanctum
    Faction: Guardian
    Names: Mira/Trolled/Aurelia
    Class: Rogue/Warrior/Cleric
    Crafting: Master Weaponsmith

Before beta 6, the pig could hold aggro no problem, and even almost solo even-level mobs without heals. They buffed the mobs though, so that doesn't happen any more (and shouldn't). He can still hold aggro through most anything (sabs charges DO add hate unless you spend the points to not) and is incredibly useful when soloing. I mean, it seriously gives you zero down-time leveling since the pets naturally heals ridiculously fast ooc, and you never have to heal yourself really.

Recent alpha notes show that if you die in a WF, and your pet is out, it will be at your side when you rez. This is a huuuuge change for people who didn't get the insta-cast,no cost pet call ability, and makes pets just that much more useful in WFs. The dire wolves are pretty annoying for others in PvP and, I haven't personally used the raptor yet, but everyone says that are a solid dps increase in PvE.

Thanks some really good comments

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by acko View Post
    Do Ranger Pets really hold agro and keep the enemy away from squishy me?

What about PvP, do players just ignore them and come straight for me because of lack of DPS?

Are Rangers really useful in the later stages of levels?
    The warthog tanking pet holds aggro really well. Combats cycle just about right for its main aggro ability to be ready every fight, even when its not they pull it back pretty quick once it is. I spliced mine with bard to give it more buffs and could heal it, very strong soloing and for groups I brought buffs and heals too. Don't have to spam bardic abilities though, I quickly reaised its just faster to arrow things to death and use just the motiffs to keep us buffed up and passively healing.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Pawle View Post
    Before beta 6, the pig could hold aggro no problem, and even almost solo even-level mobs without heals. They buffed the mobs though, so that doesn't happen any more (and shouldn't). He can still hold aggro through most anything (sabs charges DO add hate unless you spend the points to not) and is incredibly useful when soloing. I mean, it seriously gives you zero down-time leveling since the pets naturally heals ridiculously fast ooc, and you never have to heal yourself really.

Recent alpha notes show that if you die in a WF, and your pet is out, it will be at your side when you rez. This is a huuuuge change for people who didn't get the insta-cast,no cost pet call ability, and makes pets just that much more useful in WFs. The dire wolves are pretty annoying for others in PvP and, I haven't personally used the raptor yet, but everyone says that are a solid dps increase in PvE.
    The greater pets are annoying if you ignore them and can cost you if they are well played and the person specced for it.

People are way too quick to say "PETS USELESS IN PVP"
    Attacks on mages suffer from pushback and as a mage a pet will annoy the crap out of them.
    Also another thing about Pet classes is that some of their pets can really hurt you if you assume they are worthless. Necro pets...

Two classes will actually love having a pet attack them though. Chloro and Bard. Dont even send a pet after them its like a free heals HP goodie. Those two classes AOE heal from their own dps and if they can get heals without being put in the frontlines where they will risk dieing they will. Or at least I will :P

The most important skill in PVP isnt even a spec it's being able to quickly identify healers and especially Bards and Chloros.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-24-2011 at 08:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast