+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin: Poison Mastery vs Poison Potency

Telaran

Default Assassin: Poison Mastery vs Poison Potency

I'm sure this could be boiled down mathematically... I will try to do that when my brain wakes up, but I wanted to see what the thoughts and feelings of other Assassins out there might be.

Poison Potency - 3 points for 15% greater poison dmg when it does apply

Poison Mastery - 5 points for 10% greater chance to apply (raises base 20% to 30%, so instead of applying poison every 5 strikes, it would apply poison almost every 3 strikes)

Which one is a better investment of points? If you have only 3 points to spend? Only if you can spend all 5 points in Mastery? What are your thoughts?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zildjan View Post
    I'm sure this could be boiled down mathematically... I will try to do that when my brain wakes up, but I wanted to see what the thoughts and feelings of other Assassins out there might be.

Poison Potency - 3 points for 15% greater poison dmg when it does apply

Poison Mastery - 5 points for 10% greater chance to apply (raises base 20% to 30%, so instead of applying poison every 5 strikes, it would apply poison almost every 3 strikes)

Which one is a better investment of points? If you have only 3 points to spend? Only if you can spend all 5 points in Mastery? What are your thoughts?
    Statistically I think poison mastery is actually the better investment per point. If you break it down while it says it's a 10% increased rate on the tooltip the total actual increase is a 50% increase in the total proc rate.... that's pretty substantial. You will most likely notice poison potency more as it makes the numbers bigger (and affects the few poison attacks that are not weapon buffs).

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    Statistically I think poison mastery is actually the better investment per point. If you break it down while it says it's a 10% increased rate on the tooltip the total actual increase is a 50% increase in the total proc rate.... that's pretty substantial. You will most likely notice poison potency more as it makes the numbers bigger (and affects the few poison attacks that are not weapon buffs).
    I think you are right. I did some quick math and it looks like even at just 3 points, Poison Mastery should yield better total dmg returns.

The next trick is, can you get those 3 points into Mastery at the higher Tier...

First off, they are both very bad and you can get better return for points elsewhere in the tree. That said, if you must pick one, pick Mastery as it allows more frequent application of +5% crit debuff from Lethal Poison and more frequent heals from Leeching Poison.

the second run of leaked notes suggested that they would be adding an internal CD to poison (rather that it was always there, just needed tweeking). not sure what this will mean for your question.

They are also not official notes so...

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post
    the second run of leaked notes suggested that they would be adding an internal CD to poison (rather that it was always there, just needed tweeking). not sure what this will mean for your question.

That is a good point. My question kind of assumes that putting ANY points into poison enhancement is a good use of points. From the limited parses I did, it looks like poison dmg averaged out to be only about 10-15% of my total dmg, and I may have not built the soul to best support poisons in the first place, but in any case if the poison CD change is a net negative effect, and if your goal is raw dmg increase through whatever methods, I'm not sure the investment of scarce points in poison related skills is worth it anymore short of those going for the 51pt build.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zildjan View Post
    That is a good point. My question kind of assumes that putting ANY points into poison enhancement is a good use of points. From the limited parses I did, it looks like poison dmg averaged out to be only about 10-15% of my total dmg, and I may have not built the soul to best support poisons in the first place, but in any case if the poison CD change is a net negative effect, and if your goal is raw dmg increase through whatever methods, I'm not sure the investment of scarce points in poison related skills is worth it anymore short of those going for the 51pt build.
    I think Rykin hit it on the head as far as this is concerned. Poison mastery is more about a combination of utility with minor dps increase benefits. Poison potency is a straight dps benefit on a small % of your damage.

If you had to spend in either I would probably look at mastery because it does provide more benefit per point overall and because it also provides extra utility in the form of increased self-heal (solo, small-man options) and increased uptime on 5% crit buff.

If you are looking for pure dps increases i'm sure there are better options both in assassin tree and in other soul trees.
    Last edited by gulain; 02-24-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    I think Rykin hit it on the head as far as this is concerned. Poison mastery is more about a combination of utility with minor dps increase benefits. Poison potency is a straight dps benefit on a small % of your damage.

If you had to spend in either I would probably look at mastery because it does provide more benefit per point overall and because it also provides extra utility in the form of increased self-heal (solo, small-man options) and increased uptime on 5% crit buff.

If you are looking for pure dps increases i'm sure there are better options both in assassin tree and in other soul trees.
    I agree with that as well. The collateral benefit of more hits (and by extension, more chances for Crits) potentially triggers all kinds of other buffs/benefits.

The healing of leeching poison is going to benefit from use of points in either Potency or Mastery, but again, my quick (and possibly less than totally accurate) math says that dmg/heals of leeching can increase by 5% per point invested in Potency, while that increase looks to be 10% per point invested in Mastery (which kinda makes sense it would be higher, given its from the next Tier up).

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Azath View Post

Alpha tested there will be no CD on it /signed

Xsi

There is really only one reason to take poison potency over poison mastery and that is Sabo. If you are Sin-focused, neither is probably worth it compared to the constrained resource of points.

... unless there are items added that relate to poison proc.

+ Reply to Thread