+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How good are the bards buffs as a tank?

Default How good are the bards buffs as a tank?

So i'm planning to play a Riftstalker and have been playing around with builds and have considered the following:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...zokkR.thzVV.xh

20 points in bard talents means I improve the effectiveness of Fanfare of Vigor and Anthem of Glory as well as gaining access to Motif of Tenacity.
    To reach this point though I will be sacrificing Planar Attraction and Scatter the Shadows. Would this be a fair trade off or am I sacrificing too much utility as a tank?
    Last edited by Madagan; 02-24-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madagan View Post
    So i'm planning to play a Riftstalker and have been playing around with builds and have considered the following:

20 points in bard talents means I improve the effectiveness of Fanfare of Vigor and Anthem of Glory as well as gaining access to Motif of Tenacity.
    To reach this point though I will be sacrificing Planar Attraction and Scatter the Shadows. Would this be a fair trade off or am I sacrificing too much utility as a tank?
    The thing to keep in mind with deep-souling Bard is that in almost any raid environment, you're going to have a bard giving these buffs already. Not to mention other Souls that can provide them as well (not all buffs stack). Honestly, unless you raid makeup specifically lacks these buffs, I feel you're better off sub-souling for more "selfish" tanking benefits.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

I've been playing with that build during beta (42 Rogue), felt nice having a 5% damage reduction buff as well as more health and armor (and I couldn't get to Planar Attraction anyway).

I heard that Planar Attraction has no range whatsoever, making it way less useful than I thought it would be. I guess only time will tell.

Do realise that every point in Riftstalker boosts your Guardian phase and Rift Guard though!
    - Kaboomium <The Unnamed> -

Rift Master

The bard is far more useful for the +10% hp and -3% hit + crit hit chance than it is for the buffs. There will nearly always be someone with a high point bard around afterall.

Riftstalker-ranger-blade dancer is a good pvp tank though..

Quote Originally Posted by Cinerus View Post
    Do realise that every point in Riftstalker boosts your Guardian phase and Rift Guard though!
    Everyone point above 25 and 16 respective :P
    Last edited by cyberdine; 02-24-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Not sure if you will be able to tank so well if your using your bard buffs all the time, at lvl 34 on my bard with 28 points spent I had 5 30 second buffs which takes around 7-10 secs to cast with the gcd which was quite time consuming.

Then when I played on my Paladin with my friend as a healing spec cleric I had to really concentrate to keep aggro at times and that was without the distraction of casting multiple buffs but totally focusing on spamming moves that generated aggro.

So although I have never played with the spec your thinking of, I do have experience in both area's you will be trying to cover and I think in theory it sound's good, but in practice may be harder than you think especially in the dungeon's with the elite mob's.

But why not try it and prove me wrong, I really hope it does work out for you, just my 2 cents and I hope it help's.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliiz View Post
    Not sure if you will be able to tank so well if your using your bard buffs all the time, at lvl 34 on my bard with 28 points spent I had 5 30 second buffs which takes around 7-10 secs to cast with the gcd which was quite time consuming.
    5 buffs should take 5 seconds on a rogue, rouge=1sec GCD, all others=1.5 remember. Unless they have a cast time?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdine View Post
    5 buffs should take 5 seconds on a rogue, rouge=1sec GCD, all others=1.5 remember. Unless they have a cast time?
    No your right they don't have a cast time, but it did take longer than 5 second's, I was airing on the side of caution with the time, as I noticed at times when I had finished casting my last buff the first one had around 23 seconds left on it.

The only tanking buff that would need to be reapplied is the motif of tenacity, and if there is another bard in the raid they would be free to use fanfare of knowledge instead of vigor

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliiz View Post
    No your right they don't have a cast time, but it did take longer than 5 second's, I was airing on the side of caution with the time, as I noticed at times when I had finished casting my last buff the first one had around 23 seconds left on it.
    I had no problem keeping the Heal Motif and the Damage reduction Motif up with my rotation as a tank.
    - Kaboomium <The Unnamed> -

Quote Originally Posted by Cinerus View Post
    I had no problem keeping the Heal Motif and the Damage reduction Motif up with my rotation as a tank.
    Fair enough if your only using 2 buffs, I was using 5 and was worried about the time lost to control aggro if the op was thinking of using more that's all.

While trying to play Riftstalker as a Main Tank, adding a bard is the most difficult thing i've ever done for a class in a game.

It requires SO MUCH micro-management, and consistent buff. While on top of positioning, and keeping agro.

Anyone who plays Riftstalker/Bard as a Main Tank, Support, and Offhealer. Is going to be a huge asset to any group.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdine View Post
    You also have to take in account the amount of lag you may experience. Even the best connections and the fastest computers can experience the lag monster at the worst possible times.

I played a Riftstalker/bard/bladedancer. I was split pretty much between riftstalker and bard with a couple points in bladedancer and found it worked very well, but that was before the riftstalker changes when it was only worthwhile to put 21 points in. Now, I'm thinking a lvl 51 riftstalker with a little in bard and bladedancer might be a pretty wicked tank.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Madagan View Post

2 things first mate, I find my Riftstalker Planebound Resilience superseeded Fanfare of Vigor (not stack). Also, the more points you have in Rift the better your Rift Guard is. To that end, I'd put the improved anthems in Rift too because it'll be more absorb (off the top, and duration lasting) than a pinch more for Anthem of Glory.

You'll lvl up more or less ok without them but for later game tanking you'll want all the absorb you can get out of rift guard, but if your eally wanted to splice in a lot of Bard as well then I'd be going for more of the healing abilities to augment your tanking abilities.

That'd put you just 3 pts shy of the 51 point ability (which can be handy after the AoE taunt you just picked up as well).

I'd do something like this instead
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ItIuqdRkkR.xoz
    We tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while at the same time producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast