+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Is 51 points ranger built worth it?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default Is 51 points ranger built worth it?

    Hello everyone,

    I'm currently considering two builds for todays start and I admit I have a very hard time deciding. Maybe you could help me with it a bit. This build should be viable (not best in any of these roles course) for leveling, pvp and dungeons. I want to enjoy any part of game. When I hit 50, I will be doing specialized builds.

    My favorite is Ranger 32/ Marksman 22/ Bard 12
    Second thought is Ranger 51/Marksman 15/Riftstalker 0

    ______

    Is the 51th Ranger talent worth losing 7 points in marks and buffs from bard? I'm close to say no. But then again, there can be other bards in group and than it's 12 wasted points.

    Thanks for any constructive thoughts.
    Last edited by Semris; 02-24-2011 at 12:48 AM.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I personally don't think so. It would be more of a PVP ability, but your giving up a lot of useful talents to get it. Lets see how much damage pets have though, it depends a lot on how the damage split between player and pet.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceba View Post
    I personally don't think so. It would be more of a PVP ability, but your giving up a lot of useful talents to get it. Lets see how much damage pets have though, it depends a lot on how the damage split between player and pet.
    I'm also very close to say that losing so much talent point for 15 secs damage buff per 2 minutes is very likely not worth it. Thanks for your input.

    Anyone else?

  4. #4
    Plane Touched Preyzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceba View Post
    I personally don't think so. It would be more of a PVP ability, but your giving up a lot of useful talents to get it. Lets see how much damage pets have though, it depends a lot on how the damage split between player and pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semris View Post
    I'm also very close to say that losing so much talent point for 15 secs damage buff per 2 minutes is very likely not worth it. Thanks for your input.

    Anyone else?
    The points invested in MM and Bard not only increase damage by a bit: they provide extra utility that is inaccessible otherwise by speccing so deep into ranger; therefore, in a nut shell, I would be inclined to conclude that no, sacrificing a well rounded build to dive deep into ranger is generally not worth the heavy point investment.
    Last edited by Preyzz; 02-24-2011 at 02:35 AM.
    "Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrows" (Auron, FFX)

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Thanks.

    So I will be doing the first built and the temptation to build a 51 ranger is gone. :-)

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser Rykin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Personally, I do not think any rogue soul is worth 51 points. So many combinations that have better utility/damage with spreading out the points.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rykin View Post
    Personally, I do not think any rogue soul is worth 51 points. So many combinations that have better utility/damage with spreading out the points.
    For DD souls maybe but Riftstalker and Bard definately receive significant benefit for chosing to go to 51 pts. Not that there aren't other options for them if they decide to do so but you are often better in your primary role if you decide to do so.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Rykin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    For DD souls maybe but Riftstalker and Bard definately receive significant benefit for chosing to go to 51 pts. Not that there aren't other options for them if they decide to do so but you are often better in your primary role if you decide to do so.
    I'll agree with RS tank option, but I'm far from convinced on the bard. There's no inherrent benefit to putting more points into that tree and while we have not seen how well the 44pt heal works, but the 1minute cooldown makes me pretty apprehensive. Points beyond 34/36 invested in the bard tree just really have very much diminishing returns in their usefullness.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rykin View Post
    I'll agree with RS tank option, but I'm far from convinced on the bard. There's no inherrent benefit to putting more points into that tree and while we have not seen how well the 44pt heal works, but the 1minute cooldown makes me pretty apprehensive. Points beyond 34/36 invested in the bard tree just really have very much diminishing returns in their usefullness.
    The statement is made from a raiding standpoint. Bards will be brought for their utility benefits and not for their dps or healing output (as both are sub-par to any other comparable souls). Keeping that in mind there are very few additional soul options that give them much in the way of increased support/utility past the nightblade 8 points that increases both damage and healing output. You combine that with the fact that they have the ONLY activatable raid-wide mana/energy/power/charge return mechanic and that leaves you with the reason why 51 pt is viable and quite possibly preferred. To me bard is either a tree you go 51 in or no more than 34....

    Personally I like the fact that people can question this because it means you are given alternatives to straight maxing out a single tree. However, I think for pure dps roles the erronious points that most trees have (utility/cd/etc. type abillities) that don't contribute to dps make it hard to justify 51 pts in a tree. Rogues are a prime example of this as virtually any rogue for PvE dps will want at least 10 points in nightblade and more than likely at least 5 points in another tree or more (see: Assassins and BD).

    The souls that are unique in their role for the calling tend to be the ones that benefit most from continuing to their 51 pter.
    Last edited by gulain; 02-24-2011 at 07:38 AM.

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser Rykin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    The statement is made from a raiding standpoint. Bards will be brought for their utility benefits and not for their dps or healing output (as both are sub-par to any other comparable souls). Keeping that in mind there are very few additional soul options that give them much in the way of increased support/utility past the nightblade 8 points that increases both damage and healing output. You combine that with the fact that they have the ONLY activatable raid-wide mana/energy/power/charge return mechanic and that leaves you with the reason why 51 pt is viable and quite possibly preferred. To me bard is either a tree you go 51 in or no more than 34....

    Personally I like the fact that people can question this because it means you are given alternatives to straight maxing out a single tree. However, I think for pure dps roles the erronious points that most trees have (utility/cd/etc. type abillities) that don't contribute to dps make it hard to justify 51 pts in a tree. Rogues are a prime example of this as virtually any rogue for PvE dps will want at least 10 points in nightblade and more than likely at least 5 points in another tree or more (see: Assassins and BD).

    The souls that are unique in their role for the calling tend to be the ones that benefit most from continuing to their 51 pter.
    Touche! I wasn't thinking about raiding, the 51 pointer is definately a good one in that. For PVP and Soloing I myself don't see too much benefit in going beyond 34 to 36 points either.

  11. #11
    Telaran RimeCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    57

    Default

    I was thinking about this last night. It looks like a definite DPS loss to go 51 Ranger but will it be required to keep your pet alive through boss AoE? If there is warning you can just manually pull the pet back before the blast; otherwise, we need to determine how much mitigation (from King of the Jungle) the pet needs if there is or is not a Chloro, Jusitcar and/or Bard in the raid/group.

    If we do need to go 41+ in Ranger that may make the soul unusable in end-game group content depending on how much DPS is sacrificed.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts