+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard dmg.....is it from ranged or melee weapons?

Soulwalker

Default Bard dmg.....is it from ranged or melee weapons?

i know there have been other posts but i cant find them. So which is it for bard damage, ranged or melee?

Technically, it seems to be neither ranged nor melee.

* Serrated Blades:It no longer triggers from ranged weapon critical attacks or attacks that require ‘Any Weapon’ and are not considered melee weapon attacks [Bard damage abilities, Saboteur Charges, Bombs, etc.]. Nightblade ranged attacks are considered melee weapon attacks and can trigger Serrated Blades.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ezoo View Post
    i know there have been other posts but i cant find them. So which is it for bard damage, ranged or melee?
    Its whichever weapon is triggering auto attacks.

So it can and will switch back and forth.

You want both your mainhand melee and ranged weapon to have as high a dps as possible.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-23-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    You want both your mainhand melee and ranged weapon to have as high a dps as possible.
    Wasn't there a change in a patch from one of the betas that made it less important to have a high damage main hand for abilities? I'm having trouble finding old patch notes.

Edit: here it is, from B6 * There should now be a much smaller difference in damage done with abilities using a fast weapon versus a slow one. This sounds minor but is actually a high impact change!

I ask because I plan to have my 2nd role be assassin most likely so wondering if I'll need to switch from daggers to a sword or axe when I'm bard.
    Last edited by Marcato; 02-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcato View Post
    Wasn't there a change in a patch from one of the betas that made it less important to have a high damage main hand for abilities? I'm having trouble finding old patch notes.

I ask because I plan to have my 2nd role be assassin most likely so wondering if I'll need to switch from daggers to a sword or axe when I'm bard.
    It is my understanding it is considered spell damage that takes it's damage from dex. But if you have 2 swords with spell damage on it that helps.

But dex is most important.

As I understood it melee/ranged weapons should be highest dps, with attack power being the main stat.

From what I've read attack power is the stat used for our damage and healing, that would be dexterity.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Marcato View Post

Edit: here it is, from B6 * There should now be a much smaller difference in damage done with abilities using a fast weapon versus a slow one. This sounds minor but is actually a high impact change!

That patch has nothing to do with what I said.
    Niether does the change to serrated blades.
    I said a high DPS weapon.
    That doesnt mean fast; that doesnt mean slow ; It doesnt mean in between.

It means any onehanded with a higher DPS.

DPS means Damage Per Second.
    So axe/dagger/sword/mace it doesnt matter use the one with higher DPS.

I should mention though that in every lvl range Bows/Gun is always higher DPS comparing blue to blue green to green etc.

So you should trade up mainhand and ranged for higher dps at every opportunity.

The way Rift itemization works is a blue at equal lvl will have higher dps than a green at the same lvl (make sense?)

A lvl 10 green weapon will have more DPS than a lvl 9 green weapon.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-23-2011 at 11:59 PM.

I always use the ranged weapon when barding.

Seems to always be higher then anything else.

I would always keep high DPS Weapons both Main-hand and Ranged. Their are occasions where auto attacks go off and you obviously want to do as much additional damage as possible. Better weapons will also have better stats on them as well, which never hurts.

I played a Ranger/Bard Role during Beta 7 and obviously had a Bow, but also keep two daggers or weapons on hand. If I was at distance from a mob, the auto attack would use the bow, if I was within melee range, my auto attack would use the melee weapons.
    Current Rift Progression: 20man - GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, HK 1/11. 10man - GP 4/4, DH 4/4, RotP 1/4.

+ Reply to Thread