+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob question for a MM focused build

Soulwalker

Default Noob question for a MM focused build

I've only played to like level 14 maybe. My wife and I made a marksman duo to level together with, she went ranger/sab/mm, I went MM/sab/something (forgot what it was) but it wasn't ranger.

And it just seemed extremely hard for me to not have the pet. Is there a good ranged rogue build other than MM/Sab/Ranger or is that going to end up being pretty much the only build there is for a good MM?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Grux View Post
    I've only played to like level 14 maybe. My wife and I made a marksman duo to level together with, she went ranger/sab/mm, I went MM/sab/something (forgot what it was) but it wasn't ranger.

And it just seemed extremely hard for me to not have the pet. Is there a good ranged rogue build other than MM/Sab/Ranger or is that going to end up being pretty much the only build there is for a good MM?
    The most common MM spec used to be MM/Ranger/Assn
    At headstart I would guess its probably going to be MM/Ranger/Nb
    2nd to that MM/ranger/bard.

MM/sab/ranger.. looks really strange to me ; I dont see why that would be good.

If you plan on solo pve then Ranger to 24 points at least for the greater razorpig to tank.

If you plan on doing without a pet you can still put 6 points into ranger for +5%crit and AP buff and what I consider the best ranged snare in the game for MM. Many use Sab's aoe snare from a zero point sab soul though.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-23-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    The most common MM spec used to be MM/Ranger/Assn
    At headstart I would guess its probably going to be MM/Ranger/Nb
    2nd to that MM/ranger/bard.

MM/sab/ranger.. looks really strange to me ; I dont see why that would be good.

If you plan on solo pve then Ranger to 24 points at least for the greater razorpig to tank.

If you plan on doing without a pet you can still put 6 points into ranger for +5%crit and AP buff and what I consider the best ranged snare in the game for MM. Many use Sab's aoe snare from a zero point sab soul though.
    Well it was pretty much the only characters we've played past level 5. So it might look pretty strange to anyone that understands the mechanics better ^_^

But I was MM focused, with sab for the sticky goop trap (really helped for kiting), and the pet was just there for a little extra damage and to keep stuff off now and then.

And yeah I went nightblade with my 3rd, but it seemed off to me. All I got was melee attacks and nothing that seemed to help me at my job =/

I guess I don't get why assassin or nightblade or anything but ranger would be better! Maybe I'll get it after the headstart begins.

Soulwalker

Always remember that you can get more souls by questing, and you can buy multiple roles also.

Point being, think big.

Rift Chaser

Well it was pretty much the only characters we've played past level 5. So it might look pretty strange to anyone that understands the mechanics better ^_^

But I was MM focused, with sab for the sticky goop trap (really helped for kiting), and the pet was just there for a little extra damage and to keep stuff off now and then.

And yeah I went nightblade with my 3rd, but it seemed off to me. All I got was melee attacks and nothing that seemed to help me at my job =/

I guess I don't get why assassin or nightblade or anything but ranger would be better! Maybe I'll get it after the headstart begins.
    Ah.
    Ive seen people with MM/Ranger/Sab not just you.

Well heres something that might help you understand choosing souls.
    1. You get all of them and 4 roles : you probably already knew that one.

There are several things you get from souls. The trick is to pick the best facets of each one and ignore the chaff.
    There are extremely few soul combos in the game that will use all the root skills of all three souls. Im sure someone does that somewhere but its not a common way to approach a build. Roots are the abilties that open up at the bottom of the soul tree.. the actives and buffs etc.

In the first couple of lvls yes you tend to use as much as you can from all three souls because its all you have but in higher lvls you will ignore more and more root abilities and just pick the best ones.

Its ideal to use souls that compliment your main soul (in your case MM) with tree talents and roots both but not many souls will do that. A soul like NB has such good passives +15% and +15% to combos and finishers at 10 points that the root abilities almost don't matter.. in that case you get stealth and a weapon enchant and an incapacitate (a sap) which happen to be usefull but even if you didnt it would still be a decent 10 points spent. I would ignore the melee finishers and combo generators of NB if I used it for MM .

That said. When I was MM/ranger/assn I still kept one basic Assn melee range attack hotkeyed.. just in case I was in a position where everyother choice to kite was on c/d and the person trying to kill me was a sliver of health... this was only because I didnt have the stun yet.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-23-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Shadowlander

leveling without a pet as a ranged class is kind of a pain. You're options are 1) kill it before it gets to you 2) kite it or 3) finish it with melee abilities from another soul.

The kite it options actually works kind of well if you're able to remain aware of mobs around you and not pull extras. The problem with kiting lies when repelling shot and static shot miss or get dodged/parried (this happens more often than you'd think).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Ah.
    Ive seen people with MM/Ranger/Sab not just you.

Well heres something that might help you understand choosing souls.
    1. You get all of them and 4 roles : you probably already knew that one.

There are several things you get from souls. The trick is to pick the best facets of each one and ignore the chaff.
    There are extremely few soul combos in the game that will use all the root skills of all three souls. Im sure someone does that somewhere but its not a common way to approach a build. Roots are the abilties that open up at the bottom of the soul tree.. the actives and buffs etc.

In the first couple of lvls yes you tend to use as much as you can from all three souls because its all you have but in higher lvls you will ignore more and more root abilities and just pick the best ones.

Its ideal to use souls that compliment your main soul (in your case MM) with tree talents and roots both but not many souls will do that. A soul like NB has such good passives +15% and +15% to combos and finishers at 10 points that the root abilities almost don't matter.. in that case you get stealth and a weapon enchant and an incapacitate (a sap) which happen to be usefull but even if you didnt it would still be a decent 10 points spent. I would ignore the melee finishers and combo generators of NB if I used it for MM .

That said. When I was MM/ranger/assn I still kept one basic Assn melee range attack hotkeyed.. just in case I was in a position where everyother choice to kite was on c/d and the person trying to kill me was a sliver of health... this was only because I didnt have the stun yet.
    Ah yes. That helps a good bit. Some of that I already knew though, I have been playing the MMO market since EQ ^_^

I had a feeling I should be ignoring the root abilities, but I didn't see what in any soul but ranger would help for my 3rd soul.

Thanks for the help, regardless. Helped confirm/deny some things I was coming to!

Rift Chaser

Ah yes. That helps a good bit. Some of that I already knew though, I have been playing the MMO market since EQ ^_^

I had a feeling I should be ignoring the root abilities, but I didn't see what in any soul but ranger would help for my 3rd soul.

Thanks for the help, regardless. Helped confirm/deny some things I was coming to!
    I started in Shadowbane.. which had a lot of class variety in builds somewhat like this game does.

You cant go wrong with ranger as a second soul for MM for solo pve. Most of the ranger roots combo generators and finishers will be redundant so use the Marksman ones.
    Cripple shot is a must have though from ranger.

You will need 24 in ranger for the greater razorbeast after lvl 30 or so because the normal razorbeast will stop lvling.

+ Reply to Thread