+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 51pt MM/?/? Opinions on left over pts

Soulwalker

Default 51pt MM/?/? Opinions on left over pts

Okay so I'm interested in main soul'ing (51 pts into) a MM, but I never got a chance to play the beta at all so I am pretty clue less as to what skills might go well with it. And yes, I have noticed that there are a lot of posts with people saying that it's not really worth going that far into the tree all things considered.

But if I am determined to make the mistake of 51 pts into MM, what soul(s) would you put the remainder of the pts into? 5 into RS for the extra 15%+ ap? Something completely different than rs or in addition to?

Not really interested in have a pet, and I like group play instead of trying to solo grind. And leaning more toward pve than pvp.
    Last edited by Daltonien; 02-23-2011 at 05:32 PM.

10 into NB, 5 into Sab.
    'I have long since closed my eyes... My only goal is in the Darkness.'

Telaran

Are you asking about leveling? or about a spec at lvl 50

Soulwalker

^^ 50 spec

Don't go 51 points into marksman... =p

Soulwalker

Is 51 points bad because it's in marksman specifically or is filling a tree entirely on any soul considered bad in general?

Telaran

No, some souls are worth it, it's just that MM is probably not one of them. The 51-root ability is a pedestal that increases damage by 30% (last I heard), but you have to stand on top of it to gain the benefit. This is almost impossible in PvP, and depends on the boss mechanics in PvE. But the thing is, you have to put a lot of points into non-DPS things. It's probably better to spec into a different tree; you could probably pick up the 20% damage increase (30% from snipers- the 10% from marksman, according to latest notes) from someplace else, along with utility and whatnot.

I would NOT go 51 in MM, maybe for a PVE raid spec but never anything else
    Looking for a Hardcore PvP / PvE Gaurd Guild - EST

Send me a PM!

Soulwalker

I was thinking of going 51 MM, but like many others have pointed out it really isn't optimal. The problem is you are taking a lot of lackluster talent for a few decent Root abilities. Quick Reload (32) is the last really good one until 51, which isn't even that great for the points invested.

If your dead set for 51 though, I would go 10 NB like someone said with either Sab (15% Dex) or Assassin/Ranger (5% crit). Ranger gives you a pet for soloing and Assassin gives you a few more melee tricks to play with, plus a second Blade for finishing things off. Sab brings the Aoe Snare, which is also really good. It's all up to play style at that point.
    [Depending on if the "Blades" buff work on Ranged attacks, (anyone have Dev/tested answer?) Assassin would be the way to go for the buff to ranged dmg.]

Soulwalker

Yeah when I first started building the skills up I stopped at 32 points into MM, it made sense as I didn't want most of the other stuff that made up the remainder of the skill set. Wasted points it felt like, but then I noticed that most everyone else was also stopping at 32 and also getting the same supplemental souls so similar set points. So figured I'd try a full out 51 root, but if the soul isn't worth it might as well try something else XD

Soulwalker

Yeah, going into 51 points into MM isn't exactly the best approach. I played MM main through out the beta's and from the way it looks it's best to stop at Marksman at 32 points for quick reload. I went Marksman/Ranger/Assassin for PvP and Marksman/Nightblade/Assassin for PvE/Raid group benefits. The Assassin soul is great for the extra buff damage that the soul offers, not to mention the bleeds and poisons you get from the soul. You get more crit, more damage, more DoT's. I reccomend Assassin as a soul in mind when it comes to Marksman, wether it be for PvP or PvE usage. But to answer your question, 51 points in MM is pointless, the 25% Damage buff isn't worth it, I mean you can play around with it.. but you'd gain so much more damage buffing traits/abilities from Assassin or Nightblade from 5/5 in 15% more damage in combo point generating abilites and 15% more damage in finishers through the Nightblade Tree, check it out.
    Last edited by Relentless21; 02-23-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltonien View Post
    Yeah when I first started building the skills up I stopped at 32 points into MM, it made sense as I didn't want most of the other stuff that made up the remainder of the skill set. Wasted points it felt like, but then I noticed that most everyone else was also stopping at 32 and also getting the same supplemental souls so similar set points. So figured I'd try a full out 51 root, but if the soul isn't worth it might as well try something else XD
    The fact is no one on this board has really tested how good / bad all those 51 pointers really are.

Now i'll 100% agree on it being pretty lack luster for PvP scenarios, but talking about raiding it might actually be worth it.

I plan on testing it out once i hit 50, but you should also carry a backup MM spec for raiding incase there are some intense movement fights every now and then.
    'I have long since closed my eyes... My only goal is in the Darkness.'

Soulwalker

To be quite honest, I was agonizing over this more than necessary. Not having played the beta and being ignorant as I am about this game, I had no idea that we were allowed multiple roles -.-'

So if I wanted to try the 51 pointer mm base as a group oriented dps (PvE only) it wouldn't be as catastrophic since I could at some point open up a more flexible pve role, then a seperate pvp role etc as long as souls also came from the rogue class? Is that correct?

Was trying to find Role info on the main page but I'm totally blind and can't find it.
    Last edited by Daltonien; 02-23-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Plane Walker

See signature, Dungeon build.

the 51 root ability is a charm. The added dexterity from Sab, as well as the point generation/finisher boosts are quite exquisite.

Rift Chaser

51 MM spec might be viable now. A lot of people who's never played MM in their life are saying 30% added damage from sniper's pedestal is godly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast