+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bladedancer as a primary soul?

Rift Disciple

Default Bladedancer as a primary soul?

So I didn't get a whole lot of time put in on Beta as a rogue, I was curious how well Bladedancer is doing as a primary soul(PvP, and leveling). I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info and it seems like its mostly just taken as a secondary.

Would something along these lines work?
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dz.0VMft0b0z.m

As I said, not a whole lot of rogue experience, so feel free to tell me if I am completely wrong/stupid/terrible!

EDIT: Also considered this spec for untangle, not sure how bad losing the dex bonus is though.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oGdz.0VMft0b0z
    Last edited by HalfMind; 02-23-2011 at 04:43 PM.

No Turn the Tide or Contra Tempo, but yes to Blade Finesse and 3/3 Combat Culmination?

Urk.
    Alkonost D. Alphard
    Colonel of 72nd Troll Interdiction Regiment
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself."

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
    No Turn the Tide or Contra Tempo, but yes to Blade Finesse and 3/3 Combat Culmination?

Urk.
    Like I said, not much time spent on it in beta.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dz.0VMft0b0z.V
    Would that be any better?

Rift Disciple

I would take out reprisal, it generates only a single combo point, and doesn't deal any more damage then your normal attacks. I personally didn't like strike back either, I found that it doesn't really hit for that much. Putting some points in your auto attack is a nice way to boost some dps passively. Maybe drop saboteur for nightblade or bard.

I didn't like Improved False Blade, or Combat Efficiency either. I found with the extra energy gained from Vivacity, I had more then enough energy regardless.

Maybe take some of those points and snag slip away in the assassin tree, and maybe beef up a couple poison abilities, or your dodge % buff in the bladedancer tree. Oh also, the % hit buff is pretty worthless, everyones hit rating seems to be extremely low, so putting points in a % increase to hit seemed pretty worthless to me. The dodge skill is infinitely better, especially since a lot of your skills proc off of dodge anyway.

Riftstalker also increases attack by 15% for the first tier and gives you a free teleport, might want to look into that.
    Last edited by Selix; 02-23-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Selix View Post
    I would take out reprisal, it generates only a single combo point, and doesn't deal any more damage then your normal attacks. I personally didn't like strike back either, I found that it doesn't really hit for that much. Putting some points in your auto attack is a nice way to boost some dps passively. Maybe drop saboteur for nightblade or bard.

I didn't like Improved False Blade, or Combat Efficiency either. I found with the extra energy gained from Vivacity, I had more then enough energy regardless.

Maybe take some of those points and snag slip away in the assassin tree, and maybe beef up a couple poison abilities, or your dodge % buff in the bladedancer tree. Oh also, the % hit buff is pretty worthless, everyones hit rating seems to be extremely low, so putting points in a % increase to hit seemed pretty worthless to me. The dodge skill is infinitely better, especially since a lot of your skills proc off of dodge anyway.

Riftstalker also increases attack by 15% for the first tier and gives you a free teleport, might want to look into that.
    I don't agree with this advice about Reprisal - if you're not going to take Reprisal, why be a Bladedancer? It's a signature power, IMO. One of the great benefits of boosting dodge is that you get this never miss, OGCD attack. For one point, that's a lot of free damage.
    Last edited by maxlongstreet; 02-23-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Rift Disciple

So with a good soul setup, is baldedancer decent for PvP and/or leveling?

Soulwalker

Pvp i was owned in warfronts at 19 theres no telling if it was just bad gear or the group, Pve soloed all the non instance no group quest line up to 28 with hardly any slow downs. Im trying as close to a 51 build as possible rest of the points into riftstalker if its no good ill go rethink things over.

Bd/Rs/sin Im still thinking of other classes or even rolling a warr.

Soulwalker

Maybe. I was running a bladedance/sab system that I didn't get to try and found a semi-neat macro set which turns the bladedancer into the rogue aoe bomber. (yes.. .I do indeed like the sab.) You essentially get to 'jump' into the middle of a group and do a non-dot aoe damage skill followed by mass subdue.

If subdue worked right, this means that you have an entire force to toy with. Grab your Shrapnel bombs and start ticking them onto the middle target while casting adhesive bomb last.(yay for non-damage skills! and 6 seconds!) Break open that Chemical you love and mosh around that pit!

A blade-dancer can be quite delibitating if you use your alternate ability tress if you remember to sway back and forth during the chorus.

(you see, people are dumb and don't realize that Sab is the "I need a turd tree!" tree.....15% dex tier 1 vs. 15% dex tier 3....)
    Last edited by Talimar; 02-23-2011 at 06:56 PM.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dz.0VMft0b0z.m

Your first build seems pretty solid to me.. Quite similar to mine but i sacrificed some damage for utility..

I would agree with the first reply about reprisal. the problem with reprisal is that it triggers on dodge. which is fine when side step is up, but without sidestep its pretty lacklustre. i guess its fine for a cost of a point, but i other talents.
    i would take it off in favor of something else.

The other comment id like to make is that with all the "on dodge" talents you took, it would be wise to max quick reflexes

If you looking for an all-round build (PVP-PVE), it would also be wise to get untangle.

Rift Master

I played around with a blade dancer a bit. I was expecting to be impressed with its damage potential but miss some of the stealth openers and such. I felt like i was going to be playing a fun reactive in your face with finesse warrior/rogue dual wield awesomeness.

What i found is that it was a terrible terrible disappointment. I wasn't high enough to always be in a combat effect bonus and maybe that is when it gets good.

I found that even when keen strike was buffed it hit for much less than my night blade combo builder. My awesome must follow a keen strike attacks all paled in comparison to my awesome night blade attacks.

I came away with the distinct feeling that blade dancer IS AWESOME... AS A SUPPORT SECONDARY SOUL... BUT NOT A MAIN SOUL. I was shocked how little the damage was compared to my other melee rogue builds.

I see that many of their attacks get nice extra buff from attack power... maybe its a scaling thing and they are late bloomers.

Well I have put together a leveling guide for Bladedancer, that would be in my sig. I haven't really looked into Bladedancer PvP, but was thinking about looking into it and maybe adding a PvP part to my guide. I hope this helps

Darkrose's Bladedancer leveling guide

Default This is my end game Idea

I was thinking of a build like this

Using hellfire blades and lealthal poison for your weapons, this build would be purely for group dps or questing with a buddy (not much for survivability) but looks solid to me. Tell me what u guys think.

Soulwalker

OK, I am seeing a lot of misinformation that may be due to people not really looking at how the soul is geared.

I used this soul earlier and in beta at lower levels, and it was overall fairly slow compared to most other souls. However, i just tried it again now that i have the points for rift scavenger + deep bladedancer (flash of steel or higher) and have found it to now be the fastest melee rogue soul for levelling. Points have been spent to enhance avoidance, and spent on talents that give bonus/proc on avoidance. It sounds goofy, but if you are pulling 2-3 or more things at once, you just chain proc attacks that are off the gcd, not to mention the combo point generation means Comound attack every second attack (contra+no gcd reprisal/ disengage+ Twin strike > compound, repeat), and get heals very quickly.

It sounds incredibly goofy, but im pulling apart packs of 5-6 in no time flat, with no downtime afterwards. I also just got Dancing steel, which has made cutting down groups even more trival when i need to.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0h.xbduuoRRMdz

is how my build currently looks at level 33.

Quote Originally Posted by halja View Post
    OK, I am seeing a lot of misinformation that may be due to people not really looking at how the soul is geared.

I used this soul earlier and in beta at lower levels, and it was overall fairly slow compared to most other souls. However, i just tried it again now that i have the points for rift scavenger + deep bladedancer (flash of steel or higher) and have found it to now be the fastest melee rogue soul for levelling. Points have been spent to enhance avoidance, and spent on talents that give bonus/proc on avoidance. It sounds goofy, but if you are pulling 2-3 or more things at once, you just chain proc attacks that are off the gcd, not to mention the combo point generation means Comound attack every second attack (contra+no gcd reprisal/ disengage+ Twin strike > compound, repeat), and get heals very quickly.

It sounds incredibly goofy, but im pulling apart packs of 5-6 in no time flat, with no downtime afterwards. I also just got Dancing steel, which has made cutting down groups even more trival when i need to.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0h.xbduuoRRMdz

is how my build currently looks at level 33.
    This build does look good for a solo lvling build, I like the energy and life gain for combo points on death. I put together a BD build for DPS (shown in my post above urs) but its in no way for solo lvling like urs is. I too am lvl 33 and have been lvling with a ranger hevy spec for soloing and this looks interesting im going to give it a try tonight when i get off work LOL.

I absolutly love bladedancer as my primary soul, im not going to give up my spec as i think its amazing but i kill everything 1v1 with the exception of barbs. Not even joking.
    Long live the bladedancer!

PS: i will say that bladedancer is not a good leveling soul untill level 25+.

+ Reply to Thread