+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MM without ranger soul to lvl?

Soulwalker

Default MM without ranger soul to lvl?

Only tried the beta for a short while, and curious if you can viably skip the ranger soul and go mm/nb/xx instead, or is it just asking for trouble?

This is just a solo lvling build and some dungeons etc

Telaran

If you enjoy kiting, go for it, if not, i wouldn't

You can do it, and rather effectively.

Only problem is it will be much slower than with a pet since you have a heal for it with only 6 points spent.

For leveling to 30 I would recommend ranger as a secondary unless you plan on spending some on melee skills.
    CPU: Core i7 3.06GHz Quad-Core ~ MB: Asus Rampage III Formula ~ RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333 24GB(6x4GB)
    Monitor: Acer 21.5" LCD/LED x2 ~ GPU: XFX Radeon 5770x2 CrossfireX ~ Boot: Crucial C300 SSD Sata III 64GB
    MM/Rngr/RftStlkr - Pew Pew Run Port

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Caralicious View Post
    Only tried the beta for a short while, and curious if you can viably skip the ranger soul and go mm/nb/xx instead, or is it just asking for trouble?

This is just a solo lvling build and some dungeons etc
    Two problems.
    One you can fix the other eh.. not really.

1. MM needs a snare. NB has one thankfully but its after a few points and it isnt 35meter range snare (assuming you go for those talents). Ranger has a really good snare (the best imo) but its 6 points into ranger. Thankfully to get those 6 points in ranger you get +5% ranged crit and Feral Instinct (AP buff.) Sab has an aoe snare puddle which I didnt like as much... could be preference but the cripple shot has some advantages the free Sab one does not it gnereates a combo point has damage and it easier to use and has a better c/d. Investing in the best snare for your playstle or having two snares is a great idea. The ability to snare is a solid component of any MM build.
    So its possible to get a snare that MM lacks from several other souls.. and its a really good idea to grab them for PVE and PVP.

2. Mobs have run speed buffs because of a bug related to swift shot and hasted shots. Theres a slim chance they fixed this on release but my experience kiting without a pet was that swift shot/ hasted shot are bugged. They were actually boosting the speed of both you AND the mobs. IT was so damn annoying!!!
    That makes kiting mobs kind of rough and makes a snare even more important. Thankfuly when you snare it doesnt also snare yourself!

Considering 2. I would go with a pet for solo pve on an MM until the bug is fixed.. if its intended then thats really dumb.

MM in PVE groups without a pet is really great. You have more points to play with and you can head deeper into the MM soul to get more dps stuff fromMM and its sub souls for DPS.
    I reccomend a group DPS role as an MM for dungeons as soon as you get multiple roles and it wouldnt even need a pet at all.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-23-2011 at 03:52 PM.

I was hoping that I would be able to do this, I played around with MM/Ranger/x for a little bit in the last beta and of course that works.

I was wondering if it would be viable to put 6 points in ranger (5/5 Eagle eye, 1/1 Crippling shot) to have a slow and then speccing primarily MM/NB/6 Ranger for levelling, and then at max level dropping ranger for another soul to further increase DPS.

I'm sure that this isn't anywhere near as efficient as using a heavy ranger build, but I hate hate hate pet classes even for levelling (and especially for raiding where you have to rely on your pet not dying to stupid **** to keep dpsing).

But I figure as long as you are not stupid with your pulls you should be able to do it without heavy ranger. The problem for a lot of people wanting to go heavy MM with just the 0 pet for levelling is that past lvl 24ish(?) the pet won't level until you put enough points into ranger for it to keep scaling up with you. so you are forced to go heavy ranger to keep levelling or drop it and kite/CC, being more of a glass cannon.

Shadowlander

In all honesty it isn't that hard to keep a pet alive.

If its not your thing, thats fine, no harm there, but just the way the mechanics work, you may want to look into going all melee unless you really really really love to kite. And still, you won't complete things as quickly as you could otherwise.

It is very easy to level to at least 35 without ever touching that icky Ranger soul.

MM/Riftstalker/NB works very well.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_please View Post
    It is very easy to level to at least 35 without ever touching that icky Ranger soul.

but at that point aren't you just a shoot it till it gets to you then stabby stabby class?

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_please View Post

Would you mind linking the type of build you used to level like this?

Ranger is better than MM at leveling... You need a lot of space to kite properly in this game, and most of the time you'll just end up running into other mobs. And as another posted mentioned... Mobs move super fast in this game, they move at around 140% speed. With MM you'll need to stack 5 cp, use your run speed finisher, then stack a few more run speed buffs again from your cp builder (as the finisher eats the buff stack), before you're moving fast enough to avoid being hit- This is without a snare though.

Basically, the pig from Ranger is better than kiting solo content because it can tank for you. Which lets you have better control over agroing adds, and lets you focus on dps rather than running around in circles while still being hit. The pet heal is decent, and it scales with your AP. But, it won't let you solo group content or elites (can always kite that stuff). The pig also lets you handle more than one mob at a time, and with a cooldown or two you can aoe 3-4 mobs with little effort.

A MM's cooldowns are what gives the soul its real dps boost over Ranger... And you won't be popping cooldowns every fight... So DPS while leveling is pretty similar.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by KellionBane View Post
    A MM's cooldowns are what gives the soul its real dps boost over Ranger... And you won't be popping cooldowns every fight... So DPS while leveling is pretty similar.
    You speak the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Veltor View Post
    but at that point aren't you just a shoot it till it gets to you then stabby stabby class?
    Yes, and that's exactly what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavea View Post
    Would you mind linking the type of build you used to level like this?
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...V00h.Vcd0z.V0x

I hate pets, but love Archers. Definitely going to give MM without Ranger a try. So far the Saboteur and Bard look really nice for both CC/Survival and even some nice party buffs. Havent played yet ... so I have no idea how well itll work :P

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    2. Mobs have run speed buffs because of a bug related to swift shot and hasted shots. Theres a slim chance they fixed this on release but my experience kiting without a pet was that swift shot/ hasted shot are bugged. They were actually boosting the speed of both you AND the mobs. IT was so damn annoying!!!
    That makes kiting mobs kind of rough and makes a snare even more important. Thankfuly when you snare it doesnt also snare yourself!
    This

Finally someone to confirm my observation of hasted mobs. I tried to play the cool dude and dismissed my ranger pet so I could play a "pure" marksmen. The mobs pwned my face running at the same speed as me. At the time I thought they had some run speed boosting ability. But apparently its a bug

How I cursed Trion for not allowing me to kite mobs

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the other problem was running into other mobs and collecting a funeral procession for you.
    Last edited by gluon; 02-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.

God only knows how many areas there are with a ton of mobs in a small area.... A TON OF cave / crypt quest in the 30s.

I would hate to roll a spec I had to kite in Pve, frankly I do not think there is much room.
    Looking for a Hardcore PvP / PvE Gaurd Guild - EST

Send me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread