+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pure Bard?

Default Pure Bard?

Hi all,

I know rogues were one of , if not the most, popular classes in beta. I lvl'd two characters, one mage to like 17 and the other was a rogue that I lvl'd to 32. I really loved my rogue and strictly lvl'd as a Bard, outside of my double point lvls which I put into Bladedancer.

My question- do you think there will be too many bards to make this class viable at endgame? While there are some areas that bards can overlap , anthems in particular, I dont really see 2 ever being needed in an instance and not very often in 10mans. I really loved the class, and I know you should 'play what you love' but I just dont want to invest a lot of time into him and then realize at 50 that no one needs it and have to make a random 2nd or 3rd role in a different rogue class as I really only enjoyed Bard and Assassin specs at this point.

I've come to think of Rift as having roles instead of classes that define the role themselves. Take a 5 man party for example, 1 tank - 2 dps - 1 healer - 1 hybrid support class. This would, in my way of thinking, make the perfect group.

This said, several souls can perform as a tank, possibly cleric as pure healer, dps is easy to figure out and support can be either a chloro or a bard or something else(?).

This leads me to conclude that the question should be rephrased to "will there be too many support classes in endgame?". My answer is probably every pure dps class that has a support role will probably have that as a secondary spec in case it's needed. But, they *will* be necessary.

I'm not sure I'm making myself understood, but I think you'll do fine as a bard. Having a steady guild raid group possibly you can change around roles between members to mix things around and not get burned out so fast due to doing the same thing over and over. One day you'll play as the support role and someone else as dps, the other day you'll get to dps while the other gives support and so on. This made the game incredibly interesting to me.
    "And they bouth savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who are only ignorant of ordinary things."

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by erik478 View Post
    I dont really see 2 ever being needed in an instance and not very often in 10mans. I really loved the class, and I know you should 'play what you love' but I just dont want to invest a lot of time into him and then realize at 50 that no one needs it and have to make a random 2nd or 3rd role in a different rogue class as I really only enjoyed Bard and Assassin specs at this point.
    Of course you wont need two in an instance, just like you wouldn't need 2 paladins or 2 archons.

I personally didn't see a TON of bards when I leveled <I was bard 90% of the time as well>. It still works out though, the last day of the beta we ran an instance with 3 rogues. My friend switched to tank, I stayed bard, and the other guy was MM or ranger or something.

I think you will be fine but you will probably run into a few problems here and there if you absolutely refuse to switch roles once in a while. The whole appeal of the role system is that you can save a bard build for support, a tank build, a PVE dps build, and a PVP build switching in and out at a whim. I don't see why you would hate switching out so much.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for your insight.

Any other comments are welcome as well

You will always need bards. They are great support classes and the more the merrier. I played a Ranger as my first soul set and a pure bard as my second. I was extremely happy with how versitile my bard could be. With the right points in the right place and a few great secondary souls I could solo up to 3 equal level mobs. I did a few instances with 2 wars(1 tank, 1 dps) a cleric (heals) and 2 bards ( my friend and myself) Mobs died quickly and we had the cleric so bored he started dpsing.
    Bards are beasts!
    Beware the Dragon!
    For you are Crunchy...
    And taste good with Ketchup.

Soulwalker

Default click and change

if you want to make a toon make it you have other roles for backups.

I played IC with my friends (as a bard) where we had no real main healer but me and a chloro mage to do all the healing. Ofc, that was a lowlvl instance but i wonder if that could not hold for a higher lvl aswell. Thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread