+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapon/skill mechanics for assassin/bladedancer

Rift Disciple

Default Weapon/skill mechanics for assassin/bladedancer

Didn't really get a chance to test this while beta was out, so maybe someone else who gave it a try can tell me how some of this works. Just a few questions regarding skills and how your weapon influences them.

1) Savage Strike: Deals <random range> physical + weapon damage to target. So, this would mean that the target will take the damage from random range in addition to my prime hand's weapon damage (which has a range of its own). Pretty basic but with this I'm curious, during beta there were some slow as hell blunts I could equip with some high damage ranges. Since weapon attack speed doesn't really effect your cooldowns, would it not be viable to equip a slow mace or hammer or any non-dagger weapon and use skills to get "extra swings" in with this weapon? Also, offhand doesn't factor into the attack as far as I know (correct me if wrong, just explaining as I understand it).

2) Twin Strike: Deals <random range> physical + mainhand to target + offhand to next nearest target or something like that. So this attack would be the same, except it brings offhand into the skill-spamming game, correct? Do non-daggers have some kind of limitation preventing you from wielding two maces at a time or something? Seems like you could dish out a lot more damage with this skill if so.

3) Jagged Strike: First off, you get a 100% bonus from attack power with this skill. This would be the attack power influences by your str/dex/level/etc in your stat screen yes? And 2nd, all the damage from this attack is converted to a DoT? Same question for Impale too, is all of the damage converted into a DoT?

4) Also can these dots be dispelled/removed/cured?

If they can I can see why people sway more toward Savage/Final strike. They're damage in the bank rather than an IOU.

5) Also, one last thing. My build is primarily spent into Assassin and a fair amount into bladedancer, I have 5 leftover points that I can pop into those first tier assassin skills to up savage/final strike damage. Having a 3rd open soul seems to allow you to change it whenever you want, which can be pretty nice even with zero points spent (marksman or ranger for ranged, sab for snare AoE, Rift for the 15meter shift) but I may just pop those 5 points into Ranger or Sabo for the 5% crit or 15% dex boost (in addition to the 15% dex boost from Bladedancer).

There are various numbers of those "%" boosts that you can get. Some seem to be clearly better than others, so (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that the 15% attack power boost is surely weaker than the 15% dex boost, because 1 point of dex = 1 attack point. So you're getting the attack points in addition to the other benefits (though I guess you can get attack points directly from gear, dunno how that scales up as you level or even how much stats you get from gear at higher levels). Still I think dex from gear will vastly outnumber attack power.

Here is what I'm unsure on: According to the wiki, which is undoubtedly inaccurate, 1 dex = .5 Physical Crit points, which 1 of which is .41% physical crit rate, which means 2dex = .82% crit rate. If I had 200 dex, then I'd gain 30dex from the skill, which would yield 6.15% crit rate.

Crit from dex is probably not so linear and offers diminishing returns though I guess... but in the long-term it seems %dex bonuses may beat flat crit bonuses unless they've been scaled at end game. *shrug*

Anyway, its a lot of stuff so I'll number it to make it easier in case someone knows one answer but not the others. Despite the wording they are all questions or things I'm wondering about, just tends to be clearer to explain how I understand something, less misconceptions can occur.

First of all, is this for PvE or PvP? Please everyone reading this tell us in these question posts which one it is, because they are VERY different beasts.

PvE, very simply, even with the poison ICD, unless it is greater than your weapon speed (which means more than 1.4/1.8 seconds) Assassins still want Fast/Fast. This limits the amount of time between the ICD finishing, and when it is back on ICD. This damage will outperform Slow/Slow or even Slow/Fast weapons. If the ICD turns out to be greater than 1 second, more tests will have to show the answer. As for right now i would suggest Fast/Fast.

For PvP i wont even attempt to touch the subject because i dont feel like beating off the trolls because im not as well versed as them at PvP.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Manki View Post
    First of all, is this for PvE or PvP? Please everyone reading this tell us in these question posts which one it is, because they are VERY different beasts.
    I had PvP in mind, but I'd be curious how they may differ when you cross to PvE too.

+ Reply to Thread