+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nightblade or Saboteur?

Soulwalker

Default Nightblade or Saboteur?

So, first of all I'd like to apologize if this has been asked several times before, but I figured I might as well make my own topic just to be sure I'll get the kind of answers I'm looking for.

So, I pre-ordered Rift, and am looking forward to playing the game, and I'm pretty (99%) sure I'll be making a rogue as my first character. Since I always go for melee classes, I decided I'd make something ranged this time around, but I've also always considered the standard bow/gun using classes avaliable in different games cheap/boring/generic, so I've decided to go for either Nightblade or Saboteur as my main soul.

I'd rather not go for both of them at once, since I'd rather specialize in one, grabbing as many supporting skills as possible from other trees (Nightblade with proc abilities and improved damage from Assassin, for one...), which brings me to my question(s):

What are the strengths and weaknesses of Nightblade/Saboteur, compared to each other? The basic ones I can figure out myself (Nightblade having more of a sustained, building damage, whereas Saboteur is more of a burster), but I'm considering actual damage output over time compared to survivability, possible synergy with other souls and so on. Which one would be better at solo play? PvE? PvP? Raiding? Well, you should see what kind of answers I'm looking for at this point... Basically, Nightblade or Saboteur, and why?

PVE: Saboteur all the way. With Silent Setup you can kill mobs before they can even touch you.
    PVP: Depends on your playstyle. I found Saboteur rather boring after a while. Also, Nightblade isn't a real ranged soul. It does have some range utilities.

Well keep in mind you can have two seperate roles and do them both.

But between the two.

Sabo builds have high burst damage, which is what they are known for, as well as pretty good DPS. Im not entirely sure how they stack up in a pve situation where you are just trying to do lots of dps in a group. I do know that sabos can solo pve well, and they get that nice aoe snare skill.

Most sabo builds take either marks or ranger as a secondary so they have another ranged finisher to use, so that when they use anihilation bomb they can eat up the combo points with a ranged finisher. This also means that they can stand back and shoot auto attacks with a bow/gun. (gun is definitely what any self respecting sabo would be using, right?=p)

Night blades are not really ranged. They have some ranged abilities, tend to start out at range, but they would rather close in if they can.

Soulwalker

I played a Nightblade/Assassin/Riftstalker rogue in the last two betas, going towards 31/31/4 points into the respective souls, focusing on the ranged combo builders and finishers that Nightblade had to offer combined with passives and poison, plus unlimited stealth, from the Assassin tree. True, I did deal more damage when closer to my target (thanks to all the proc effects on poison/crits/enchantment), but moving in close to something was very rarely needed.

As for Saboteur, I'm only speculating here, but from what I've seen they require a lot more "thought" than the Nightblade-focused build I was using, at least (Applying as many different kinds of charges as possible with the +1 to charge counter thing, without sacrificing too much damage for the low-damage charges, compared to 1-222-3-4-Possible rebuffs/reposition/riftwalk-repeat). More complex playstyle would be fun, but not if I'd be sacrificing actual viability. The whole bomb part of the Saboteur tree seems incredibly dull, I'd rather just focus on the charges.

Oh well, I could just do what you said and make one role for each. Start off as Saboteur and switch back to my beloved Nightblade if it doesn't work out.

Good pairings for Saboteur (Please try to avoid Marksman and Ranger)?

Rift Master

PvE-sab. You 1 shot mobs before they ever aggro to you
    PvP-Sab does more damage for far less grief. If you wanna get damage on the nightblade you do need to get into melee range, sab doesnt have this issue and does more damage so...

Sab pairing? Just go riftstalker.

Pump all the points into sab then your spares go into the 3 passives out of the bottom 2 layers of rift

+20% armour
    +15% end
    +15% attack power
    -6% incoming damage

Gives you a load of teleports+a huge self endurance buff (the +15% AND a big buff so...)
    Last edited by cyberdine; 02-23-2011 at 09:02 AM.

You do want a ranged finisher for sabo that is not detonate, to use when you use anihilation bomb.

I suppose you could get the ranged finisher from night blade if you just refuse to have ranger or marksman.

Ranged weapon mastery to let you auto attack with ranged weapons is nice though.

Soulwalker

Refuse is kind of a strong word. I'd rather find a different way to do things, but if a Marksman/Ranger finisher and autoattack is a lot better than something else, I'm not going to gimp myself to be an "unique snowflake".

EDIT: Wouldn't Nightblade be pretty good for the +15% combo ability damage and so on? Stealth, too.

EDIT 2: Would this work? http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...VMfEbxk0M.Vhbo
    Last edited by Strawberry; 02-23-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    EDIT: Wouldn't Nightblade be pretty good for the +15% combo ability damage and so on? Stealth, too.
    I see a lot of sabo builds with nightblade and im assuming it does indeed work with charges. Ive never tested though.

Those riftstalker points look kind of crappy. getting stalker phase and the crit buff while only having one teleport and not even lowering its cooldown. A non modified rift guard. armor instead of attack power.

Ive not spent much time trying to make a good sabo build so i really cant comment on the rest, but in general those rift stalker points look wrong.

51/10/5 for pve dps nightblade/assassin/bladedancer (for dodge and 5% hit) use saboteur for aoe situations but i wouldnt use them for single target dps as they have backloaded insane dmg, but not dps as dmg is not dps dmg is dmg and very useful in pvp where dps means nothing. but before the serrated blades nerf my nb did more aoe dps (8 or less mobs) than as a saboteur, i know many saboteurs say they have the most aoe dps but they havent played with good nightblades or else they would see it is comparable/better. with new serrated blades nerf tho im not sure, come live ill test as there is a chance saboteur came out ahead, it was the dot that made nb insane for aoe but it got a huge nerf (180% to 100% dmg) which is huge so we'll see how much that drops our dps in aoe situations.

Rift Disciple

Sab is an AOE soul for group pvp . Nightblade is a single target ranged assassin .With the weapon enchantment fixes (which in effect are nerfs) I am not sure how nightblade will play now - its damage was good but not stellar nerfs could have really hurt it.

For solo questing you would probably want unlimited stealth which neither sab neither nightblade has. Sab has very good setup abilities (mines ,sap +5 charges gives good headstart)

Soulwalker

Hrm, yeah, I really can't think of a decent way to spend those Riftstalker points, or any other soul that'd be more useful. Maybe the problem is with Nightblade sucking up too many points?

What about this? http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...M.VVMfEbxk0M.b

51/10/5 Nightblade seems effective, but not very fun. I like Rift's Soul system since it allows for hybrid classes. Going that far into a single class kind of removes the game's main selling point for me.

Plane Touched

So, in essence, with NB you will get 30% extra damage when you detonate a 5 charge target? 15% finisher damage + 15% combo pt generating dmg... Seems like ALOT of souls want at least 10 pts in NB.

Soulwalker

I don't think the Charge damage is considered part of the Finisher though. So you'd get +15% from the Finisher, and +15% from the Charge damage.

Soulwalker

Most Sab's go Nightblade as well. Nightblade has a lot of talents that boost Sab damage.

no, you get 15% damage bonus on the charges, and 15% damage bonus on the detonate.

So just basically 15% more damage.

But yeah a few points in nightblade helps a lot of builds out.
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-23-2011 at 09:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast