+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best build between those for Riftstalker

General of Telara

Default Whats the best build between those for Riftstalker

hi there, i tought i had the perfect spec for my Riftstalker (for my personnal play style but i hesitate)
    ill show it to you and say why. Many told me to go with bladedancer but i prefer the ranger for some reason

Riftstalker 51/ranger10/bard5
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EItIuqdRkkR.x

Full Riftstalker: because i like it and its the tree tank. More point in it mean better shield and stuff
    Ranger: I go get the direwolf pet for dps help and for a oh **** button with Divert Rage. I like the idea too of having a distance attack and finisher (i use that sometime). 6% damage reduction, more chance of crit and 2% more health for me is decent. I got an instict buff too for attack power for free.
    Bard: i go 5 point to get the 10% more health and the endurance buff at 4 point. Fanfare of vigor

Riftstalker 51/Ranger3/nightblade12
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...tIuqdRkkR.V0xM

Full Riftstalker : for the same reason
    Ranger 3 : because the bard 3 wasnt really helping and the boar can offtank something if wanted, free dps and still ahve my distant combo builder and finisher ( i like it and use it sometime ) and i get some crit out of it.
    Nightblade: thats where it made me hesitate to call my build finished. First thing i got a weapon enchant that make me do more damage on proc and the proc give me 5% more dps for 10sec i think. All my finisher do more damage and all my combo point builder too, wich is nice since it will be that ill be mostly spamming. Stealth can be nice in some situation but not for dungeons. The CC is cool! The backstab that give me more damage after is a nice addition too but the WHY i would be taking this build perhaps is the Weapon Flare aoe that i can spam. I fear that later ill have problem holding aggro in aoe since one of my friend is a cabalist and with weapon flare, i could spam damage in aoe always.

So thats why, give me some idea too if you have better suggestion or if you think that at later level 40+ i will still be able to compete with only one aoe on 8 sec and the talent that shift them toward me each 60sec
    Last edited by darkchicken; 02-22-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchicken View Post
    hi there, i tought i had the perfect spec for my Riftstalker (for my personnal play style but i hesitate)
    ill show it to you and say why. Many told me to go with bladedancer but i prefer the ranger for some reason

Riftstalker 51/ranger10/bard5
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EItIuqdRkkR.x

Full Riftstalker: because i like it and its the tree tank. More point in it mean better shield and stuff
    Ranger: I go get the direwolf pet for dps help and for a oh **** button with Divert Rage. I like the idea too of having a distance attack and finisher (i use that sometime). 6% damage reduction, more chance of crit and 2% more health for me is decent. I got an instict buff too for attack power for free.
    Bard: i go 5 point to get the 10% more health and the endurance buff at 4 point. Fanfare of vigor

Riftstalker 51/Ranger3/nightblade12
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...tIuqdRkkR.V0xM

Full Riftstalker : for the same reason
    Ranger 3 : because the bard 3 wasnt really helping and the boar can offtank something if wanted, free dps and still ahve my distant combo builder and finisher ( i like it and use it sometime ) and i get some crit out of it.
    Nightblade: thats where it made me hesitate to call my build finished. First thing i got a weapon enchant that make me do more damage on proc and the proc give me 5% more dps for 10sec i think. All my finisher do more damage and all my combo point builder too, wich is nice since it will be that ill be mostly spamming. Stealth can be nice in some situation but not for dungeons. The CC is cool! The backstab that give me more damage after is a nice addition too but the WHY i would be taking this build perhaps is the Weapon Flare aoe that i can spam. I fear that later ill have problem holding aggro in aoe since one of my friend is a cabalist and with weapon flare, i could spam damage in aoe always.

So thats why, give me some idea too if you have better suggestion or if you think that at later level 40+ i will still be able to compete with only one aoe on 8 sec and the talent that shift them toward me each 60sec

I was thinking something more like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....xIt0uqzRzo.xb which is a 33 Riftstalker/ 26 Bladedancer / 7 Ranger. I think the cleaves and reactionary attacks bladedancer has really supports riftstalker better than taking talents in riftstalker that personally, I'd never use.

Btw, I really wouldn't ever use the pet in this spec, it's more because ranger has some awesome stat talents for tanking.
    Last edited by Keitau; 02-22-2011 at 04:17 PM.

General of Telara

but losing later talent or not putting point drop drasticly the defense of the rift stalker, would he still be able to tank later dungeons with that kind of spec?

I was just browsing through and saw a couple good viable spec's in someone's blog guide

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...anking-and-You!

Yeah I don't really see any benefit from anything more than 32 RS. The other skills are not going to help you maintain threat and they don't give you higher defensive abilities. Blade dancer is great synergy with RS for the defensive buffs as well.

Unless you get the Greater Pets from Ranger the pet will Level cap and you wont be able to get it to 50. So it will be useless at end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Keysaki View Post
    Yeah I don't really see any benefit from anything more than 32 RS. The other skills are not going to help you maintain threat and they don't give you higher defensive abilities. Blade dancer is great synergy with RS for the defensive buffs as well.

Unless you get the Greater Pets from Ranger the pet will Level cap and you wont be able to get it to 50. So it will be useless at end game.
    This just isn't true. You gain better defensive abilities simply by placing points into the Riftstalker tree from Improved Guardian Phase and Improved Rift Guard. While going deep Bladedancer is viable (as gone over in the mechanics thread in my signature), whether it is more or less viable than deep Riftstalker is hard to say, and we won't know for sure until we have some end-game knowledge.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

Actually, the first build is close to something I had cooked up if I ever decided to max out RS, except, I had maxed Enduring in the Ranger tree, and had moved the last couple points from Eagle Eye into Street Smart.

Although I'm leaning more into going into a heaver Bladedancer build.

Anyhow, there are many ways to skin a cat.

@ Zay

I apologize I meant deep as in 33+ Improved Guards are indeed useful for tanking. I just dont feel the root skills you get at 38+ really provide any meaningful Tanking Throughput. By all means go 32 RS. but I dont find a reason to go 51.

Sorry for the confusion.

General of Telara

@zay : i understand now people who talk about the bladedancer, i read youre guide about it. thank you

I still cant decide but im leaning toward trying with my first build with my pet oh**** button. Anyway, if it isnt good, i can always respec into bladedancer

edit: i think ill have more than enough tank stuff with 51RS and 5bard to afford getting a 5% crit in ranger without endangering the group
    Last edited by darkchicken; 02-22-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Keysaki View Post
    I apologize I meant deep as in 33+ Improved Guards are indeed useful for tanking. I just dont feel the root skills you get at 38+ really provide any meaningful Tanking Throughput. By all means go 32 RS. but I dont find a reason to go 51.
    Im not sure, I find it difficult to give up the 17% Endurance and 8.5% Extra Absorb for another 7-8% Avoidance+Threat Talents/Weapon Barrage

Its actually the 38+ Root talents that really push the 51 Riftstalker build over the edge for me

Having 12-13 seconds of complete immunity to everything on a 2 minute CD is pretty ridiculous in my mind, The AoE taunt that ports mobs to you is just an added bonus, i dont know what the exact range of "surrounding targets" is. But its still nice for picking up casters.

My only concern is if Scatter the Shadows causes a threat drop because its the ability that actually makes you immune, Even still its pretty easy to make a macro to cancel it right after you absorb the damage you would of taken from Defer Death

Quote Originally Posted by Tilano View Post
    Im not sure, I find it difficult to give up the 17% Endurance and 8.5% Extra Absorb for another 7-8% Avoidance+Threat Talents/Weapon Barrage

Its actually the 38+ Root talents that really push the 51 Riftstalker build over the edge for me

Having 12-13 seconds of complete immunity to everything on a 2 minute CD is pretty ridiculous in my mind, The AoE taunt that ports mobs to you is just an added bonus, i dont know what the exact range of "surrounding targets" is. But its still nice for picking up casters.

My only concern is if Scatter the Shadows causes a threat drop because its the ability that actually makes you immune, Even still its pretty easy to make a macro to cancel it right after you absorb the damage you would of taken from Defer Death
    It won't be a threat dump, so no worries there.

The Deep RS/RS+BD hybrid argument is going to persist for a long time, and I really see no reason why both specs can't be perfectly viable. If there is a difference, its going to be mathematically rather small. It works out to roughly 12% endurance and 6% mitigation vs 11% avoidance, if memory serves. I go over it a bit more in the thread in my signature.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

General of Telara

i just tought about it but perhaps this can be a uber tanking tool when low in health.

I was reading again all of the abilities of the RS to learn him by heart and i tought about it (perhaps alot of people tought of it and im slow but..)

Defer Death delay all incoming damage for 10 sec... so that mean that all the damage are stacked in a pool, waiting for Defer Death to wear off. If at the end of that 10 sec you pop up Scatter the Shadows, it will make you immune for 3 sec. So if i think correctly, all the damage that was delayed by Defer Death will happen when you will be immune. That mean its 13 sec of invul!

Whats youre tought about it. Am i just reading too far, am i right? wrong? what do you think

If that works like that then I really am mistaken. That would be a very good tool for a large boss AOE or an Enrage.

General of Telara

yes that could be really interesting (depending of the boss mechanic). Its not about being mistaken, you came with a point of view, we shared our ideas and you grow on them, you like or dont like them. I came here not knowing and kinda convinced that Bladedancer was a bad soul to mix up with RS. With Zay information, it opened my eyes on new combo that could be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by darkchicken View Post
    yes that could be really interesting
    Long and short is we don't know yet. Hopefully within a few days of launch we'll have some 50 Rogues who can test it for us. Honestly I can't imagine it not working like that, because if it doesn't, Defer Death becomes completely unusable.
    Last edited by Zayrinoke; 02-23-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Multiple Shards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast