+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard lvling specs

Rift Chaser

Default Bard lvling specs

I've seen a few guides and posts about Bard endgame builds, but none of them explained what to spec at which lvls for solo pve grinding/questing so I have some questions.

How do these compare for solo mob killing speeds and quests?
    It looks to be like a choice between :Ranger or Riftstalker
    Have a tank or be the tank.

If riftstalker is only slightly slower than ranger for a solo build than I would do it because I prefer the concept; but if its drastically slower then I would not. (I hope that makes sense)

If I play a Bard/Ranger how much of my dps active abilties is bard how much are ranger attacks?
    As a ranger is the bard healing way better than the ranger pet heal?
    How much better is a pet when it is buffed by a bard (enough to actually add DPS and thus kill mobs faster?)

Third soul in any of the solo grind specs would be great too.

a lvl 50 build doesnt help me because I'll have 4 roles by then, and I plan on doing a lot of testing to find what suits me for pvp and raids--I just don't have a solid plan on how to get to 50 if I bard other than 5-mans (a 5-man spec seems easy to me.)

I'm more interested in a lvl 1-10 build, a lvl 20build,lvl30 build etc. so I can understand the progression for Solo.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Soulwalker

in my limited beta experience, bard/ranger and bard/rift seemed equally easy at low levels (1-20) so i doubt theres much of a difference tbh.

i had nightblade as the 3rd soul on both but it seems that since the way we get points we are mostly pushed in the direction of 1 main tree for points, 1 secondary point dump tree, and 1 point-less tree.

so, i would advise to think more like this: which tree will help at low levels the most with zero points.

looking back i would say ranger for the pet until 30.

that meaning i would go with bard primary, rift secondary for its defensive nature, self buff, attack power, and then spec ranger until ~30 with the full intent of never putting points into it. at which time the pig apparently can no longer be leveled and thereby making it useless after perhaps level 33? or roundabouts.

otherwise if bard continues to self heal (with cadence) strongly as it levels and if specced into a more damage oriented solo build i would think bard is fine without a pet.

I find the solo build in my sig to be good at low levels.

By the mid 20s you can pull 100dps and tank multiple mobs easily with no downtime. From there you go on to get the 15% finisher damage bonus from night blade to bring your final blow up even more, then progress up bard more to get the in combat movement speed buff, which is nice for running around quest areas.

The build doubles as a pretty good support bard for dungeons also, assuming you do not need the extra healing that full support would give you.

Not sure how it will stack up into the 30s and beyond, but don't underestimate that 20% movement speed for questing.

Problem with ranger is you have to run to your kills to loot them
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-22-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by audabon View Post
    in my limited beta experience, bard/ranger and bard/rift seemed equally easy at low levels (1-20) so i doubt theres much of a difference tbh.

i had nightblade as the 3rd soul on both but it seems that since the way we get points we are mostly pushed in the direction of 1 main tree for points, 1 secondary point dump tree, and 1 point-less tree.

so, i would advise to think more like this: which tree will help at low levels the most with zero points.

looking back i would say ranger for the pet until 30.

that meaning i would go with bard primary, rift secondary for its defensive nature, self buff, attack power, and then spec ranger until ~30 with the full intent of never putting points into it. at which time the pig apparently can no longer be leveled and thereby making it useless after perhaps level 33? or roundabouts.

otherwise if bard continues to self heal (with cadence) strongly as it levels and if specced into a more damage oriented solo build i would think bard is fine without a pet.
    Thats really good advice. I suppose I can ranger pet until 30. Then I'll go far more riftstalker when I hit the contested zones to grind.

My main reason for a preference in Riftstalker/Bard Solo grinding is that I'll be playing pvp servers and I think Riftstalker is so damn defensive it might actually turn the fight around if I'm jumped by someone. Eventually ill have Verse of Captivation so I wont be as worried about defending myself when solo. I love pvp servers and turning a potential gank situation around is extemely rewarding.

Have you had experience being jumped as a bard/Rifstalker while soloing?
    Last edited by Beans; 02-22-2011 at 12:27 PM.

In my sig is the Bard/Ranger/RSalker build I am going for. It really isn't for PVP but for solo PVE it is a beast and has enoguh Bard utils to be group worthy. Once again it is for PVE, I wouldn't want to use it for PVP.
    I love this game!
    Proud member of the Sunder Gaming Community.
    My planned build for live 34 Bard / 28 Ranger / 4 Riftstalker : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...az.EMcf00ksk.m

The things I looked at was getting far enough into Ranger for Greater Razorboar to tank for me all the way to 50. Also took Riftstalker for the 0 point shift and went 4 points into it for the Endurance buff.
    As far as the Bard side of things I think the build has enough DPS to take things down fairly quick. But it isn't by any means meant to be a DPS build. It is a build for surviabilty while maintaining the ability to provide a regular group with enough heals and buffs to make you worthwhile to them.
    I love this game!
    My planned build for live 34 Bard / 28 Ranger / 4 Riftstalker : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...az.EMcf00ksk.m

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroNomad View Post
    In my sig is the Bard/Ranger/RSalker build I am going for. It really isn't for PVP but for solo PVE it is a beast and has enoguh Bard utils to be group worthy. Once again it is for PVE, I wouldn't want to use it for PVP.
    Is resonance still worth it after being nerfed in half according to alpha leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Is resonance still worth it after being nerfed in half according to alpha leaks?
    Bards got to be the buffiest or its not barding right.

Now for a soloing spec probably not, as i rarly even have all my motiffs up anyway. Usually just attack power and crit.
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-22-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Good question. Depends as the poster before me said, for self buffing, most likely just take those points and move them elsewhere. But if you are grouped a lot it would add up I would think.
    I love this game!

With that nerf you coudl go something like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oz.EMcf00ksk.m if you thought you were not going to group much. The point distribution elsewhere would outweigh 8% stat boost to soley to yourself I would think.
    I love this game!

I wouldn't level in a bard spec at all. I like the idea of multiple mob grinding, but its not really possible in RIFT because of expose. Let me explain, you need to move to pull multiple mobs for real aoe grinding. To pull multiple mobs you have to run a bit while mobs are on you to get a big group. If you are running while mobs are attacking you, you will get hit with "expose" which increases damage dealt to you by like 10% per application. So by the time you get a nice big group of like 8 mobs, you will be taking like 40% more damage.

My suggestion is to go Riftstalker and something else if you're going melee, or Ranger and something else if you're going ranged. Ranger has the pet that you can heal with that heal pet ability, Riftstalker has rift scavenger which is a 3 point third tier ability that heals you for 2% (per point invested) of your max health per combo point remaining on a mob when its killed. So that's 6% of your health maxed, which, if you finish with 5 combo points on the target, refunds you 30% of your health. So basically you just finish your kills with combo points on the mob and you never have to stop for water. Chain pull to your heart's content.
    Success = survivability / time.
    Survivability = (health + mitigation + heals) / dps done to tank
    Time = target's total health / group dps

You dont go bard to aoe. Thought you probably could. Its more to survive when you get adds.

Also bard damage is pretty good if you combine it with a good finisher from another soul, since cadence -> power chord is 5 combo points in 3 seconds. Which is why i liked the build i posted, since it has a 30% damage bonus to final blow. Felt as fast as my previous rogue where i solod up with a ranger spec.

By the way if you strafe you dont get expose stacks
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-22-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Braz_the_Mad View Post
    I wouldn't level in a bard spec at all. I like the idea of multiple mob grinding, but its not really possible in RIFT because of expose. Let me explain, you need to move to pull multiple mobs for real aoe grinding. To pull multiple mobs you have to run a bit while mobs are on you to get a big group. If you are running while mobs are attacking you, you will get hit with "expose" which increases damage dealt to you by like 10% per application. So by the time you get a nice big group of like 8 mobs, you will be taking like 40% more damage.

My suggestion is to go Riftstalker and something else if you're going melee, or Ranger and something else if you're going ranged. Ranger has the pet that you can heal with that heal pet ability, Riftstalker has rift scavenger which is a 3 point third tier ability that heals you for 2% (per point invested) of your max health per combo point remaining on a mob when its killed. So that's 6% of your health maxed, which, if you finish with 5 combo points on the target, refunds you 30% of your health. So basically you just finish your kills with combo points on the mob and you never have to stop for water. Chain pull to your heart's content.
    I understand that there might be better builds that dont even include bard for solo grinding. My reason for using bard is that I plan on bard at endgame and I prefer to lvl with it to become so familiar with the soul that its like second nature to me.
    Another point thats major to me is Street Performer +Improved Anthem of Comp. I want 19-20% run speed pretty much always in combat or not ; its a major reason I want to use a bard from 1-50 (even though ill have a mount too and obviously I wont get improved anthem till later on) I really like the idea of my default speed being +19-20. I think that is a unique feature to the Bard soul.

Another thing about the run speed buff.. I dont think its like the MM run buffs.. swift shot actualy increases MOB speed and Haste shot increases MOB speed. When I was kiting I noticed the mobs would actually speed up to match the MM buffs as I used them (it was really annoying). I dont think Bards have that bug since I wont be casting the anthem repeatedly in front of mobs that can steal it from me due to a bug.
    I'm gonna assume the mob run speed buff stealing bug is still in the live game.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-22-2011 at 04:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread