+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mind if I go rogue?

Telaran

Default Mind if I go rogue?

First. Excuse the title ;]
    Second. During betas I tested warrior, mage and cleric. Liked it all so far, but 24th I'm going rogue. Since I didn't have time to test it properly I would like to ask few basic questions.
    First of all I would like to say that I really admire whole design. As rogue I can tank, melee dps, range dps and I can also heal. Not sure if any other calling can do all that.

My first question is about healing, which I believe is bards soul.
    I know bards can be very effective in warfronts, I saw that in action and was impressed. Since healing in pvp is something I always do, then I'm happy about doing that in Rift as bard. I have no idea about healing as bard in instances tho, so how is that working? Is it viable?

Second question is how is rogue solo? what souls would you recommend for leveling? I know its basically whatever you like, at least that was the case with other callings, I'm just curious about your opinions.
    And yes I know there is plenty of that all over the forums, all I do whole day is reading about it, but from my point of view, the more, the better i'm running out of topics at this point :/
    Last edited by Rock Alone; 02-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Plane Touched

Yeah, I'd like to know how the higher level rogues liked their characters. I played a cleric to 40, and it was ok, but I played a rogue to 20 and it was pretty freakin' awesome! Is it non-stop awesome to end-game or does it peter out at higher levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Alone View Post
    First. Excuse the title ;]
    Second. During betas I tested warrior, mage and cleric. Liked it all so far, but 24th I'm going rogue. Since I didn't have time to test it properly I would like to ask few basic questions.
    First of all I would like to say that I really admire whole design. As rogue I can tank, melee dps, range dps and I can also heal. Not sure if any other calling can do all that.

My first question is about healing, which I believe is bards soul.
    I know bards can be very effective in warfronts, I saw that in action and was impressed. Since healing in pvp is something I always do, then I'm happy about doing that in Rift as bard. I have no idea about healing as bard in instances tho, so how is that working? Is it viable?

Second question is how is rogue solo? what souls would you recommend for leveling? I know its basically whatever you like, at least that was the case with other callings, I'm just curious about your opinions.
    And yes I know there is plenty of that all over the forums, all I do whole day is reading about it, but from my point of view, the more, the better i'm running out of topics at this point :/
    - Once you go rogue, you can't go back! Our rule is we do not exist, do not talk about us.
    - Cleric can heal, DPS, Tank, and range dps.

1) Bard can only group heal. They can do that by consuming combo points(which they have to build up), regent spell/motif(~1%hp per 3 seconds), and 1 insta heal with 60s CD. Again all of them are group based so you can guess how much we heal each person, and how much total we can heal.

2) Rogue has no problem solo. Marksman+bard is probably the best solo combination. Ranger is a good starting soul until you get to 13 to access all souls and make better judgment.

From my experience, Bard main with Nightblade secondary was the easiest leveling. Finish every fight at 100% health, never have to drink for mana, as you're not a caster, and things still die in a timely manner.

As far as healing as a Bard, their heals are more for if several people are taking light to medium damage than if one person is taking heavy damage. On healing intensive fights, you would have trouble keeping up on the tank, but your dps would stay alive as long as your tank was up. I wanted to try a bit more dungeon healing on my rogue, but I know that I wasn't able to heal through the last boss of DSM, even if I would have been able to keep the group alive to reach that point in the dungeon.

Telaran

And how stealth works exactly, do we have to recast it every 30 seconds?

I tried a Cleric almost up to level 20 and although I've always been an avid fan of the D&D(ish) Cleric class I must say I found it a bit boring, high survivability but it made playing alone quite boring. Healing in Warfronts and whatnot was fun though.

Then I tried a rogue and a new world opened.

Tried leveling as Marksman/Ranger and pure Assassin and I must say I had a blast with the Assassin. Granted it does not have the survivability of shooting stuff with a tanking pet or the self healing of a Bard but it was hella fun

Coming the 24th I really thing I'll move on through the levels as an Assassin. I'll probably die a lot more in PvE scenarios where multiple mobs are aggroed but it might make up for it in PvP and pure straight fun in killing stuff.
    "And they bouth savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who are only ignorant of ordinary things."

Once it breaks you have to wait for the 10 second(?) cooldown to finish before you can stealth again. Unless you have Slip Away.
    "And they bouth savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who are only ignorant of ordinary things."

I don't remember if it's 30s but yes, by default you can't go perma stealth unless you spec for it(at 20s range I think) which is only accessible via a few souls.

Yes, you basically do. But there is a 10 second CD after you go out of it so you'll also have to wait that amount.

There is however a permanent stealth in the sin tree.. But, while I am not completely certain as I may have missed something :O... That is the only soul with perm stealth.

The assassin and the PvP soul are the only souls in which rogues can get the permanent stealth.

Rift Chaser

I hope more players goes rogues. I played rogue to 42 and it was too much work to be decent. Rerolled to Riftblade and got that to 42 and was so much easier to play. As Riftblade, I had no problems against any class. As MM, I had to always hide behind my teammates. This wasn't true for the first 35 levels, but the other classes just scaled better and better after that.

+ Reply to Thread