+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how auto attacks relate to specials

Soulwalker

Default how auto attacks relate to specials

since i was only able to play a few days of beta i have a question that i couldnt find a posted tip or answer to:

do specials replace(buff) each auto attack in this game (meaning we either special attack OR auto, but not both)? or do auto attacks go off constantly (as white dmg in addition to specials)? or do auto attacks weave in between specials?

these questions have become even more convoluted when considering the possible rogue soul choices.

example: it would seem that an auto cannot possibly go off while channeling cadence right? or, is that possibly that i was at 20meters with only melee auto attack on?

example: if using nightblade 20meter cp builders, with a fleeing opponent does it make sense to change to ranged auto attack? does it even matter?(im assuming ranged autos dont go off while moving?)

example: do autos go off during MM shot casts (if the auto attack timer goes off) or only when not casting (which i believe the longest is like 1-2 seconds)?

basically theres plenty of posts on specials and talents that affect them, but i havent read nor tested much on auto attack dmg. this assumes also that auto attack dmg is even relevant in this game.

thanks for any help on this

Good questions. I'd love to see some answers, or at least theories, as well.

Rift Disciple

Auto attacks go off mixed in with special attacks... special attacks dont cancel them or anything like that. They dont go off while your channeling/casting though. And honestly in this game white damage is awful, my white damage on my assassin at around level 30 was hitting for maybe maybe 10 damage : /

Quote Originally Posted by audabon View Post
    since i was only able to play a few days of beta i have a question that i couldnt find a posted tip or answer to:

do specials replace(buff) each auto attack in this game (meaning we either special attack OR auto, but not both)? or do auto attacks go off constantly (as white dmg in addition to specials)? or do auto attacks weave in between specials?

these questions have become even more convoluted when considering the possible rogue soul choices.

example: it would seem that an auto cannot possibly go off while channeling cadence right? or, is that possibly that i was at 20meters with only melee auto attack on?

example: if using nightblade 20meter cp builders, with a fleeing opponent does it make sense to change to ranged auto attack? does it even matter?(im assuming ranged autos dont go off while moving?)

example: do autos go off during MM shot casts (if the auto attack timer goes off) or only when not casting (which i believe the longest is like 1-2 seconds)?

basically theres plenty of posts on specials and talents that affect them, but i havent read nor tested much on auto attack dmg. this assumes also that auto attack dmg is even relevant in this game.

thanks for any help on this
    You do auto attack while using instant special abilities.

You do not auto attack while channeling cadence

You do not ranged auto attack while moving, and Nightblade ranged abilities require a melee weapon, not a ranged weapon, anyway

You do not ranged auto attack while casting marksman shots.

Soulwalker

nice info thanks.

i did read a post saying although weapon damage is normalized special ability damage is based off the weapon that is auto attacking.

so if im understanding this, then bards should use ranged auto attacks if their bow has a higher dps and also when at 20meters using cadence? as this should add a few ranged autos during instants (power chord, finisher, motif recasts)?

or are those white hits so insignificant that it doesnt even matter?

+ Reply to Thread