+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marksman/Riftblade: So much fun but as for viability....any comments?

Soulwalker

Default Marksman/Riftblade: So much fun but as for viability....any comments?

Hey fellow rifters!

First off, just wanted to say that I played past level 20 during the last beta and friggin love this game and the versatility in character builds/roles that it offers. In fact, between the questing, rifts, and invasions, I never even got out of freemarch or even did any pvp (despite me being over lvl20). This whole time I played as a Riftstalker/Marksman/Ranger (with 0 points in RAnger, only had it for the pet for questing).

Since I'm sure there are more people that have greater experience in this game so far, I have a couple of questions. One, will this build have any viability outside of levelling? Two, how come I've never seen anyone that claims more ranged/melee hybrid builds? I'd appreciate any constructive feedback, but at the very least I can tell you that playing this combo has been extremely fun, to the point of me remaking it once the game releases. Thanks guys, and here's the link to my build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...kzo.xotRqzhhdR
    Last edited by Clynch; 02-22-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Soulwalker

Looks good. Lots of escapes and decent CC. Survivability might be an issue, but we'll see how classes play out at max level.

I think you don't see a ton of hybrids because people tend to focus on one thing, big ranged damage or big melee damage. I like average damage on both fronts sicne you never know what you'll be facing.

Personally, a riftstalker/nightblade/assassin build has been treating me well, with about even focus on riftstalker/nightblade. Decent ranged damage, stealth, teleports, and pretty good melee damage come with the package but survivability isn't so hot once CDs are blown.

Telaran

O HERRO DERE. I modified your build a bit.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kzo.xRtRqd0udo

Justification:

Reduced damage taken is better than endurance as you're going to be mitigating a lot of damage through planeshifting and rift barrier. Additionally, in many PvP situations you're going to be receiving heals in some shape or form. On top of that, with Rift scavenger(which won't be amazingly useful in solo PvP, but could be VERY useful in group PvP where you'll sometimes have unused combo points when a target drops) you should be getting increased healing via Boosted Recovery.

Also I dropped the points out of Death from the Shadows and Shadow Assault as you really have almost no reason to go into melee with a build like this. Riftstalker's melee damage is not justifiable vs the Marksman's sniping ability. The points spared there were moved into Planar Refuge and Rift Scavenger(more burst survivability)

In the Marksman tree, I moved the points out of AoE effects(Marksman seem to be mediocre at AoE compared to stormcallers, sabs, and cabalists who specialize at AoE), so rather than boosting targets hit I moved those points into more survivability via improved repelling shot, and grabbed Close Quarters Combat for emergency situations.

TLDR; I shifted a bunch of points around, resulting in almost no change in dps except for reduced AoE effectiveness, but massively increased kiting ability, survivability, and battlefield control.
    Last edited by Garresh; 02-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread